Will Ramberg

Day1Fan

Reaction score
Ben Johnson should play Will Ramberg more. He just plain hustles when he is out there and sparks the offense. Would he make the difference in a tight game when the other team is on a run and we are losing steam? I think so.

Ben Johnson should play Will Ramberg more. He just plain hustles when he is out there and sparks the offense. Would he make the difference in a tight game when the other team is on a run and we are losing steam? I think so.
Welcome to the board Will’s grandma!!

But I do agree he should get some playing time.

no he wouldnt make a difference. tries hard

but sparks the offense? in what world?

RJ mentioned Wills been battling injuries most of the year, even last night he was limited. Kid works his ass off, I've always said I don't mind him getting a first half rotation

I appreciate how hard he plays but he's extremely limited as a player. He's a really good walk-on to have on the roster. He's playing about as much as he should be IMO.

Good lord. The only way he should get on the floor at Williams Arena is to sweep it.

Look - if the Gophers were - let's say - an upper-division team in the B1G, a guy like Ramberg would never set foot on the court unless his team was up by 30 points.

But - the Gophers are in last place in the conference and have significant injury and roster issues. given that situation, a guy like Ramberg can make a difference. I'd rather have Ramberg busting his butt for 5-6 minutes as opposed to playing someone else 38 minutes and being exhausted at the end of the game.

He is definitely a scrappy gym rat who brings his lunch pail in every day.
I don't mind him getting run when our other players aren't bringing it. He kind of reminds me of Travis Busch.

Especially vs. Henley. That guy is clueless on the court so far
Henley is undisciplined, but he has the capacity to get past his defender on the drive. He just needs to get smarter as to when and where he drives.
Henley is quicker on the drive and more sure handed than Battle. Battle fumbles on nearly every drive.

Should he play? No Should he play for this team? Yes, In 4 minutes he had 2 rebounds and 4 points. We keep watching for potential improvement for just about every guy on the roster. It is very slow to quantify in almost every guy we have. One step forward, two steps back. Ramberg plays beyond his potential.

He should play, but that speaks to how bad of

This world. We were not watching the same game, obviously. Did you not see his put back over the top of the defenders and his scrappy rebounding. He is not scared to drive the paint and he can actually make a close shot (unlike other players not to be named). Geeze, I do sound like Wills Grandma. Can I get paid for this?? Sparked the offense, sparked the crowd. Say what you will. Battle had a pretty sound game.

This world. We were not watching the same game, obviously. Did you not see his put back over the top of the defenders and his scrappy rebounding. He is not scared to drive the paint and he can actually make a close shot (unlike other players not to be named). Geeze, I do sound like Wills Grandma. Can I get paid for this?? Sparked the offense, sparked the crowd. Say what you will. Battle had a pretty sound game.

Look - if the Gophers were - let's say - an upper-division team in the B1G, a guy like Ramberg would never set foot on the court unless his team was up by 30 points.

But - the Gophers are in last place in the conference and have significant injury and roster issues. given that situation, a guy like Ramberg can make a difference. I'd rather have Ramberg busting his butt for 5-6 minutes as opposed to playing someone else 38 minutes and being exhausted at the end of the game.
Of course, agreed

Well, I happen to agree with you. I said something similar during the game thread. I think some people can't get past the classification of "walk-on." Although it's less common in college basketball than college football for a walk on to develop into a productive player, it's not unheard of. Fran McCaffrey had a walk-on (Nicholas Baer) about 5 years back who played in 129 games and averaged 6.1 points per game, 4.5 rebounds a game, and an 18.9 player efficiency rating during his four-year career.

I once heard Kenny Smith explain "playing hard" as "playing without thinking about it." In other words, reacting quickly to the situations that present themselves instead of hesitating. Ramberg does this. His first bucket in the Indiana game resulted from him seeing an opening and immediately cutting to it; Henley saw him and gave him a great pass. His second came from immediately rushing to the boards, reacting more quickly than anyone else to control the ball, and putting it back up.

Ramberg might be the kind of player who can get four or five points in 10 minutes per game purely through hustling and reacting more quickly than most others. That can help in a close game especially since this team seems to have its fair share of "watchers."

Last edited:

Sure could have used another 4 points in this game. Had Ramberg been in the second half for another 4 or 5 minutes, maybe he could have been the difference maker for a different outcome. The guys other than Battle who were on the floor sure were not scoring.

One other point, a point guard's job is to get the ball to the player with the best chance of scoring. Sometimes he is the best option. Would like to see Cooper make that decision more often.

Assuming he works hard in practice and he's a good team guy, at this point in the year I'd play him 4-5 minutes a game as a reward for his non game day contributions.

Top Bottom