Will Gophers Get a CBS or NBC Game?

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Sorry if I missed one, but not sure I've seen any.

Certainly if the North Carolina game was home it would have been.
I would guess:
Nebraska - no due to Thursday night

Eastern Michigan - no due to bad game (BTN prediction)

North Carolina - no due to ACC owning the game (espn family prediction)

Northwestern - no, of 9 games owned by the conference I would guess it is the 7th most coveted (BTN prediction)

Louisiana - no, 7 games owned by big ten that week I would guess it is 6th most coveted (BTN)

Michigan - maybe, 6 games that week I think it is number 1 or 2 (Maryland vs Ohio state)
Guessing first pick gets Fox and that it’s the gophers, could be CBS or NBC. Would bet this is a national “network” game.

Bye

Iowa - I predict 3rd best game of the week. If that is a week where both nbc and cbs have a game it will be on one of them. They could jump Illinois Wisconsin over it if those two have better records.

Michigan state - I think it is probably second best game this week. Maybe as low as 4th 1) Ohio state wisconsin 2) MN/MSU 3) Purdue/Nebraska 4) Indiana/penn state

Illinois - a bunch of bad games this week. If Minnesota and Illinois are in contention it could be as high as the highest game or as low as the lowest game in my estimation.

Purdue - at best the 3rd best game

Ohio state - top 4 game for sure. If gophers have a winning record probably out the game of the week because Ohio state

Wisconsin - no question this is the second best Saturday game this week. Will be nbc or cbs

If Northwestern and Rutgers at noon is the season opener, perhaps the CBS weekly game has dropped in prestige compared to what it was with the SEC.

If Northwestern and Rutgers at noon is the season opener, perhaps the CBS weekly game has dropped in prestige compared to what it was with the SEC.
This is a Sunday game filling the NFL void on Labor Day weekend.

This is a Sunday game filling the NFL void on Labor Day weekend.

Plus CBS still has the SEC this year and the rights to the late Saturday afternoon window. Not so in 2024 and beyond.

Wisconsin - no question this is the second best Saturday game this week. Will be nbc or cbs
Does NBC get a 2nd game with already having the Penn St vs Mich St game the night before? If so then the late afternoon window seems plausible. They do get 16 games total, so perhaps this is a week they double up.

CBS will presumably have a late afternoon SEC Game (last regular season game of their contract). That would leave Noon, but head-to-head with Ohio St vs Michigan. CBS only gets 7 games total in 2023 but that doubles in 2024.

Late afternoon Fox/FS1 seems more likely.

Michigan game would be up there if both come in undefeated. Nice Fall day weather and the atmoshere would be electric.

Does NBC get a 2nd game with already having the Penn St vs Mich St game the night before? If so then the late afternoon window seems plausible. They do get 16 games total, so perhaps this is a week they double up.

CBS will presumably have a late afternoon SEC Game (last regular season game of their contract). That would leave Noon, but head-to-head with Ohio St vs Michigan. CBS only gets 7 games total in 2023 but that doubles in 2024.

Late afternoon Fox/FS1 seems more likely.
I have no idea who gets what. But I assume long term the 3 networks get the top 3 games.

Next year nbc has like 15 games or something.
CBS only has 7
Fox gets a bunch.

The year after that cbs gets even more

When are we guessing the Michigan game will kick off? I am thinking of coming to town but am hoping it’s a day game so I can go to the United game that night.

I have no idea who gets what. But I assume long term the 3 networks get the top 3 games.

Next year nbc has like 15 games or something.
CBS only has 7
Fox gets a bunch.

The year after that cbs gets even more
Yes agreed, I was referencing your assessment of the Wisconsin game only.

NBC - Already has Penn St vs Michigan St (Friday)
Fox - Already has Ohio St at Michigan
CBS - With only getting 7 games, and SEC in the late afternoon slot it doesn't seem likely they will show the Axe Battle.

While it's still possible that NBC gets a 2nd game that weekend and CBS uses one of their 6 remaining games on Badgers-Gophers (at Noon), it seems more plausible that it's on Fox/FS1 (or Peacock-BTN).

Or BTN, as it is two very regional fanbases that most people outside the very north central part of the country don't care about other than "oh yeah, that's apparently the most played college football game, or something".

Or BTN, as it is two very regional fanbases that most people outside the very north central part of the country don't care about other than "oh yeah, that's apparently the most played college football game, or something".
It will most likely depend on whether or not the Big 10 West race is decided or not.

The 2021 contest got more than 5 Million viewers to rank 26th for all College Games that year, and 10th for Big 10 Conference games.

That was on FOX.

EDIT- Link was not working but it was from a site called Medium.com

It really depends on who gets the next picks in the contract

Clearly it’s the second best Saturday game.
I personally don’t know who gets the second Saturday pick. If it’s BTN, then I bet the game is on BTN

As some background here.

The Gopher-Badger football game has been on over-the-air network TV three times in the past six years (2x on ABC, 1x on FOX). It has been on ESPN twice and BTN once. The one BTN game in the past 6 years was 2020 when the game was canceled once due to COVID and re-scheduled for December 19th.

In all, since BTN started up in 2007:

ESPN channels: 7x
BTN: 6x
ABC: 2x
FOX: 1x

Recent trend is definitely the game is higher up the food chain. Of course, that's when the Gophers started making it a more competitive series. From 2007-2016, the game was on ESPN 5x and BTN 5x. From 2017-22, the game was on ABC 2x, ESPN 2x, FOX 1x, and BTN 1x.

Last edited:

Disagree. And most college football fans know it because of the Axe. Not because it's "the most played college football game".

As some background here.

The Gopher-Badger football game has been on over-the-air network TV three times in the past six years (2x on ABC, 1x on FOX). It has been on ESPN twice and BTN once. The one BTN game in the past 6 years was 2020 when the game was canceled once due to COVID and re-scheduled for December 19th.

In all, since BTN started up in 2007:

ESPN channels: 7x
BTN: 6x
ABC: 2x
FOX: 1x

Recent trend is definitely the game is higher up the food chain. Of course, that's when the Gophers started making it a more competition series. From 2007-2016, the game was on ESPN 5x and BTN 5x. From 2017-22, the game was on ABC 2x, ESPN 2x, FOX 1x, and BTN 1x.

The 2023 Axe contest has the potential to be THE last exclusive Big 10 West matchup ever, depending on when the Illinois-Northwestern game occurs.

Why does it matter?
I do not care what APP the games are on if YTTV carries it.
I do not want any FB or BB games that I am interested in to be on Peacock because that APP is filled with dreck and even though it is cheap do not want to have to subscribe just to watch a game.

Why does it matter?
I do not care what APP the games are on if YTTV carries it.
I do not want any FB or BB games that I am interested in to be on Peacock because that APP is filled with dreck and even though it is cheap do not want to have to subscribe just to watch a game.
It doesn’t really

However, I think part of what makes the new big ten tv deal so good is so many network tv games

I think network tv gets the team more exposure than other networks.

Why does it matter?

Is this a rhetorical question?

Because if not, then here's your answer as to why it matters 👇👇:

I think part of what makes the new big ten tv deal so good is so many network tv games

100%, it is the best TV deal any college football conference has ever agreed to.

On most weekends, the Big Ten will have no fewer than three games televised on "over the air" free TV.

On Labor Day weekend, the Big Ten will have no fewer than four games televised on "over the air" free TV.

On Thanksgiving Weekend, the Big Ten will have no fewer than four games televised on "over the air" free TV.

It doesn’t really

However, I think part of what makes the new big ten tv deal so good is so many network tv games

I think network tv gets the team more exposure than other networks.
Agree. It baffles me why ABC puts some big sporting events on ESPN...I have to think network TV has the opportunity for a lot more eyeballs and higher advertising $$.

100%, it is the best TV deal any college football conference has ever agreed to.

On most weekends, the Big Ten will have no fewer than three games televised on "over the air" free TV.

On Labor Day weekend, the Big Ten will have no fewer than four games televised on "over the air" free TV.

On Thanksgiving Weekend, the Big Ten will have no fewer than four games televised on "over the air" free TV.
And this will continue to grow the audience. Sure that little regional conference in the southeast will win it's share of games, but the above along with continued B1G growth will make it a national brand more will follow. think NFL.

Agree. It baffles me why ABC puts some big sporting events on ESPN...I have to think network TV has the opportunity for a lot more eyeballs and higher advertising $$.
It's to justify the subscriber fees that ABC/Disney charges cable companies, satellite & streaming providers.

It baffles me why the CFP/BCS ever agreed to be on espn

Even for slightly less money

The next contract would be bigger with network ratings instead of espn ratings

Well, NBC came out with a list of early-season games that will be shown on Peacock - or shown on NBC and Peacock. no Gopher games so far. But I bet you're going to get a lot of new Peacock subscribers for that gripping Michigan vs East Carolina matchup........now, Washington at MSU is a quality game, but they'll need more than one game to move the needle.

NBC Sports’ Big Ten Football and primetime games announced to date:​

Sat. Sept. 2NoonEast Carolina at MichiganPeacock
Sat., Sept. 27:30 p.m.West Virginia at Penn StateNBC, Peacock
Sat., Sept. 9NoonDelaware at Penn StatePeacock
Sat., Sept. 97:30 p.m.Charlotte at MarylandNBC, Peacock
Sat., Sept. 165:00 p.m.Washington at Michigan StatePeacock
Sat., Sept. 167:30 p.m.Syracuse at PurdueNBC, Peacock
Sat., Sept. 237:30 p.m.Ohio State at Notre DameNBC, Peacock
Sat., Oct. 147:30 p.m.USC at Notre DameNBC, Peacock
Sat., Nov. 117:30 p.m.Michigan State at Ohio StateNBC, Peacock
Fri., Nov. 247:30 p.m.Penn State at Michigan State (Ford Field)NBC, Peacock
The remaining NBC Sports’ Big Ten Football games will be announced during the season.

Well, NBC came out with a list of early-season games that will be shown on Peacock - or shown on NBC and Peacock. no Gopher games so far. But I bet you're going to get a lot of new Peacock subscribers for that gripping Michigan vs East Carolina matchup........now, Washington at MSU is a quality game, but they'll need more than one game to move the needle.

NBC Sports’ Big Ten Football and primetime games announced to date:​

Sat. Sept. 2NoonEast Carolina at MichiganPeacock
Sat., Sept. 27:30 p.m.West Virginia at Penn StateNBC, Peacock
Sat., Sept. 9NoonDelaware at Penn StatePeacock
Sat., Sept. 97:30 p.m.Charlotte at MarylandNBC, Peacock
Sat., Sept. 165:00 p.m.Washington at Michigan StatePeacock
Sat., Sept. 167:30 p.m.Syracuse at PurdueNBC, Peacock
Sat., Sept. 237:30 p.m.Ohio State at Notre DameNBC, Peacock
Sat., Oct. 147:30 p.m.USC at Notre DameNBC, Peacock
Sat., Nov. 117:30 p.m.Michigan State at Ohio StateNBC, Peacock
Fri., Nov. 247:30 p.m.Penn State at Michigan State (Ford Field)NBC, Peacock
The remaining NBC Sports’ Big Ten Football games will be announced during the season.
Normally, I’d be watching the WA at MSU game, but this year I’ll be in North Carolina watching the Gophers take on the Tar Heels. Ski-U-Mah!

And most college football fans know it because of the Axe. Not because it's "the most played college football game".
Possibly. Would be fun to do a national survey of people who claim to be CFB fans, and get the actual truth instead of our gut feels.

Top Bottom