Will Fisch be chum or the one that got away?

gophmeister

Reaction score
I really don't know what to make of Jedd Fisch. At first his credentials impressed me, but the performance one would expect never materialized. No matter how down on him gopher fans may be, his tenure here has not tarnished his reputation in the NFL, surprisingly. Here's one for you guys (and gals), is this good or bad for the gophers? Did he need more time or was he just not up to the task?

Where do we go from here? It seems he is as good as gone and all that's left is the announcement.

my thought is

He is a good coach. He is respected and talked about around the NFL. He may not have been ready for the college game or style. The athletes are vastly different than the NFL. He could produce results next year that we will like now that the learning curve is over.

Any good coach/teacher knows you don't throw everything at the students from the start, you ease into it. Had he done this, I'm sure the results would've been much better. He's definitely better suited for the NFL.

If he's still here next year, he'll have to adjust the offense to take advantage of what the players are capable of doing. It's no use to say "the offense is fine, the players just can't do it." If a chef can't prepare a complex menu, do you just ask people to eat a bad meal, or ask the chef to prepare a simpler meal that he can do well? If we could get better results out of the players with something else, then we need to be doing that.

Any good coach/teacher knows you don't throw everything at the students from the start, you ease into it. Had he done this, I'm sure the results would've been much better. He's definitely better suited for the NFL.

Fisch may have 'thought' he was easing the Gophers in. With Brewster's experience with Withers, you'd think he had cautioned Fisch to keep it simpler. Just goes to show you how much more complicated the NFL is. If we have Fisch next year, he seems smart enough to make the necessary adjustments to the playbook.

I think that a guy with his resume would have earned a second year simply based off of the resume alone. I hope he gets to stay another year without us running him out of town or somebody hiring him away.

Top Bottom