Will Derek Engel get a scholarship?

gopherMD

Reaction score
The whole Barker fiasco brings up the possibility that walk-on and transfer WR Derek Engel will get a scholarship. Engel has played well and has made a number of key receptions this year. No one would say he is a star but he could be a big contributor next year. Kill could score some major public relations points by offering Engel. My guess is that Barker's roommate will be on scholarship in 2013.

Barring a 4000 word rant and quotes from his Mom's BFF, I'd say he get's one.

Just remember, a scholarship is not earned in the past tense. A scholarship is earned in the future based on the present.

A lot of that depends....

How's his attitude? Is he a hard worker?

Other than that, he's certainly more deserving for next year than Barker was going into this year. I'd guess that he will NOT be awarded a scholarship however, if one opens up right before the school year. . . he'll be in the mix.

Does Engel deserve one more than Bak? Bak has played a lot more snaps in the last two years. FWIW, i would find scholarships for any player who played meaningful times. And yes, if I had to would "gently" push out upperclassmen who were not contributing to do so.

His mother's best friend thinks he is the best player on the team, so the scholarship is pretty much in the bag.

I would be pretty surprised if Engel doesn't get a scholarship, but he can't be awarded one until next semester.

The whole Barker fiasco brings up the possibility that walk-on and transfer WR Derek Engel will get a scholarship. Engel has played well and has made a number of key receptions this year. No one would say he is a star but he could be a big contributor next year. Kill could score some major public relations points by offering Engel. My guess is that Barker's roommate will be on scholarship in 2013.

I've got nothing against Engel and Kill and company can give scholarships to whomever they want (I trust their judgment), but I kind of question your logic here. I don't see how Kill scores PR points by giving a scholarship to someone who hasn't played as well as the guy who left the team for not getting a scholarship. It would buttress Barker's argument more than make Kill look like a great guy.

Kill will move past this. He's likely secure enough with himself to believe in his process. The last thing he should do is depart from his standard operating procedure. He shouldn't try to "make up" for the Barker fracas in any way. He gave us his explanation and we need to accept that whether or not we agree with how this was handled. Ultimately, he's going to be judged on wins and losses and we all have to recognize that fact.

I have not looked at a list on non-scholarship guys that might be in the mix to get one but I would think Engel would be at or near the bottom of any list like that. Can't speak to his blocking or what not but the kid has 11 catches through 10 games. If that kind of impact is good enough to be considered a scholarship receiver on this team then that tells you all you need to know about the shape we are in at that position.

Again nothing against the kid and I am glad he is a Gopher but in a world where scholarships are limited I just don't see him being worth one unless we are so short on numbers there is an extra one sitting there.

I've got nothing against Engel and Kill and company can give scholarships to whomever they want (I trust their judgment), but I kind of question your logic here. I don't see how Kill scores PR points by giving a scholarship to someone who hasn't played as well as the guy who left the team for not getting a scholarship. It would buttress Barker's argument more than make Kill look like a great guy.

Kill will move past this. He's likely secure enough with himself to believe in his process. The last thing he should do is depart from his standard operating procedure. He shouldn't try to "make up" for the Barker fracas in any way. He gave us his explanation and we need to accept that whether or not we agree with how this was handled. Ultimately, he's going to be judged on wins and losses and we all have to recognize that fact.

Agree with this virtually 100%, with the one small caveat; one big difference between Barker and Engel is that Engel was essentially available for every game this year (no stats for the Illinois game, slightly dinged up), as many as 12, where Barker will only play in 8, missing 5 games, some of those of his own volition. Your value to the team is diminished significantly if you're not always available and can't be counted upon on a weekly basis.

Agree with this virtually 100%, with the one small caveat; one big difference between Barker and Engel is that Engel was essentially available for every game this year (no stats for the Illinois game, slightly dinged up), as many as 12, where Barker will only play in 8, missing 5 games, some of those of his own volition. Your value to the team is diminished significantly if you're not always available and can't be counted upon on a weekly basis.

Good caveat. I don't disagree.

Bak, Mottla, Henry and Engel are probably all in consideration. I think Hill and Botticelli already have scholarships. If not they too would be at the top of the list.

Not sure you don't give a guy a scholarship because he sprained his ankle in a game. If he showed promise and worked very hard and did what you asked him to do, I think you can still reward him. How many scholarship guys get hurt and miss entire seasons? Of course, you definitely don't give one to someone who didn't follow the rehab the doctors and trainers gave him when he got injured...

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to reward all the walk-ons, the truth is that they probably need to use the scholarships to sign players next year. This incoming class is going to be fairly small, and IMO the last thing you want to do is reduce its size. The classes are very unbalanced and the hard truth is the only way to balance them is to sign as many players as possible next year.

Not sure you don't give a guy a scholarship because he sprained his ankle in a game. If he showed promise and worked very hard and did what you asked him to do, I think you can still reward him. How many scholarship guys get hurt and miss entire seasons? Of course, you definitely don't give one to someone who didn't follow the rehab the doctors and trainers gave him when he got injured...

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to reward all the walk-ons, the truth is that they probably need to use the scholarships to sign players next year. This incoming class is going to be fairly small, and IMO the last thing you want to do is reduce its size. The classes are very unbalanced and the hard truth is the only way to balance them is to sign as many players as possible next year.

As I mentioned in another thread, this had virtually NOTHING to do with the scholarship ($$$). This was about respect, and poor AJ felt disrespected. He felt disrespected that Kill didn't GUARANTEE him a scholarship before December rolled around, and felt disrespected about being talked down to by Kill and the staff.

I would venture to guess that he also considered the training staff beneath him, more like servants, and that's part of why he completely disregarded their direction about treatment and went his own way.

Without knowing who is a walk-on it is hard to say who is first in line for a scholarship. My guess is that Barker would have got a scholarship if he had stayed the course. But the chance to sign a top high school WR would keep any coach from offering before the season was over(I understand a scholarship cannot be officially offered until the end of the semester); especially if you had limited scholarships and had a verbal commit from 1 WR already(Eric Carter). Perhaps there were other concerns about Barker that kept Kill from offering at the time as well. IMO Barker made a huge mistake; he had the chance to be the top WR on an improving team in the B1G. I don't think there is any way he will match that opportunity elsewhere.He has tried to make himself out as a whistle-blower who is trying to change the "evil" culture of college football-fat chance. Any coach of a top tier program would be leery of a malcontent and would have to be desperate for a WR who would only play 1 year. Offering Engel would show walk-ons that if you produce and are a team player you can earn a scholarship at Minnesota. Indirectly it would make Barker look even worse. I am not sure Kill is so concerned with the PR aspects of the fiasco that he would offer Engel but it may have some impact on that decision.

I have not looked at a list on non-scholarship guys that might be in the mix to get one but I would think Engel would be at or near the bottom of any list like that. Can't speak to his blocking or what not but the kid has 11 catches through 10 games. If that kind of impact is good enough to be considered a scholarship receiver on this team then that tells you all you need to know about the shape we are in at that position.
We have numerous guys at the position on scholarship who have no catches, including a JUCO that Kill brought in (Moulton).

I think Engel and Bak more than deserve scholarships, and I agree with the previous poster who suggested that nudging 4th year juniors who aren't contributing out the door wouldn't be the worst way to do it.

Also, this thread isn't about Barker. There are already numerous threads specifically dedicated to talking about him.

Can we just take away Alipate's scholarship and give it to him? lol I can't stand that kid

Top Bottom