Will Carter Coughlin stay at linebacker?

CWCWCW

Reaction score
I really like the way Coughlin is playing. He's starting to see the field a bit more and appears healed from his injury. When Coughlin came to the U of M, there was a debate on this board as to which position would fit his skillset.

Is linebacker going to be Coughlin's long term position? He seems very lean. Is his frame capable of packing on 30 lbs. and move to defenisve end? On the other side, I could see him staying lean and mean and moving to saftey. He's smart, could quarterback the defense, and is a sure tackler. It's exciting to have a versatile player on the defensive side of the ball.

I really think Travis has been our defensive MVP so far this year. With that stated, our defense really looks promising. We are young, but we re salty.

MLB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coughlin is such a freaking stud. He's got "it". Besides athletic ability, his instincts are just so good. He'll stay at LB...and be a monster for at least 2 more years.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Clearly a linebacker. He's got good instincts and tackles well. Whether he ends up outside or inside is more the debate to me

It seems like they picked the right spot for him.

Not sure moving him has much of any benefit.... Hey this guy is doing really well... let's not having him play there..

He would probably still be a LB in that scenario. More likely a DE in the 4-3

I was thinking he might move inside in that case. Could see something like

WLB - Martin/Huff/Devers
ILB - Poock/Waters
ILB - Coughlin/Barber
SLB - Celestin/???

I'd bet on Coughlin being moved around quite a bit. Especially with the shift to more of a 3-4. I could see him playing inside and then moving to edge on third downs. He seems to be that versatile of a player. The potential of him and Devers coming off the edge has to be pretty exciting for the staff.

I was thinking he might move inside in that case. Could see something like

WLB - Martin/Huff/Devers
ILB - Poock/Waters
ILB - Coughlin/Barber
SLB - Celestin/???

Gotcha. I think with his speed and length, he's going to be an OLB his whole time here. And I think as Claeys has said, we're always going to be a base 4-3 defense in the big ten, with a 2-4-5 in passing situations/vs spread teams, and Coughlin and Martin have often been the OLBs in that situation, with huff and devers.

I think he'll stay at OLB unless we do switch to a 3-4.

Exactly. Young Mr Barber will anchor the middle. Winfield will QB the D. Develop that DL and we have a stud D for several years ahead.

He is such a good versatile athlete, I think we will see him move around quite a bit. In general, he will be a LBer. However, on some packages, he will be more of a rush end. He seems to have the instincts and athletic ability to cover, so in some packages, he will be more of a traditional backer. I think he'll play inside and out.

Nowadays, defenses want to disguise what they're doing. Part of what makes that possible is extremely versatile players (line up a player at rush end who drops back in coverage, have a guy look like he's going to cover a TE, and then blitz, etc.). Guys like Coughlin make that possible.

I think the coaches will make the decision, but from reading this this thread, that may only be 50-50.

Availability

Availability is the greatest asset of any player. So far Coughlin has 18 total tackles on the season. He has played in 7 games. No interceptions, no hurries, no pass breakups, no fumble recoveries and no sacks. Not saying he doesn't flash now and then but he isn't recording amazing production. Maybe the thread was intended to be about Blake Cashman who did make some big plays on Saturday? Maybe Cashman needs some more playing time? When healthy Coughlin is on the field quite a bit it seems to me?

Celestin has 64 tackles by comparison. Not saying Coughlin is not potentially exciting but not just sure he's lived up to the hype? Very, very happy he is a Gopher and loved his leadership as a recruit! Rip me for pumping the brakes on his leaving early for the NFL as was suggested.

Top Bottom