Will 2022 be the class we get a 5 star?

Reaction score
How many 4 stars will be in the class of 2022? Which positions will be Gopher priority? How many of Minnesota's top 10 football players will the Gophers recruit & sign?

How many 4 stars will be in the class of 2022? Which positions will be Gopher priority? How many of Minnesota's top 10 football players will the Gophers recruit & sign?
No five stars. Six four stars. I don’t think their is a huge hole as far as depth anywhere in particular. Just raise the talent level across the board.

Upset tOSU. Go deep in the Big Ten West race. Then, maybe then. If we see four or five players in the upcoming draft like last season, then the Gophers will have a lot of recruiting currency.

Wins sells. The Gophers have taken over fifty years to get to this point. We can be a little more patient and enjoy the ride.

I'm perfectly happy seeing high character 4* players coming in and buying into what PJ is selling. If he can find a 5* that fits, that'd be awesome... but I don't think anyone needs to get all hung up on 5* players.

Upset tOSU. Go deep in the Big Ten West race. Then, maybe then. If we see four or five players in the upcoming draft like last season, then the Gophers will have a lot of recruiting currency.

Wins sells. The Gophers have taken over fifty years to get to this point. We can be a little more patient and enjoy the ride.
I am geared up for the OSU game but if you want to see people coming off the rails about PJ leaving just see what happens after that win. Disclaimer, I expected to beat Michigan to open last year.

i hope/think they will concentrate and getting some safety help in this class. Would be great to add some high level talent to that group to compete

I hope they make Heyer and Hasert priorities for this class as well.

be interesting what they do at the QB position. I know we are after that Jackson kid form Ohio and he has a ton of schools after him. I dont know wiht all these extra year stuff going on. But if Morgan is done after this season. And i think its save to say at least 1 other QB looks to transfer as well. The need to bring in a QB would be pretty high in this class.

One more year to wait: 2023 Jaxon Howard.

Last edited:

"We don't need no stinking 5*'s"

The players who upset teams like Auburn IMHO deserve five stars. Stars earned thru hard work, believing, individual leadership, and teamwork are more precious that recruiting ratings stars. Kudos to the Gophers staff!

When players feel great about themselves, they play great.

It is no accident that the NFL took notice and drafted five Gophers. I expect the Gophers to great things in the future.

Last edited:

The Gophers may not have a 5 Star yet. Overall recruiting talent has improved. There's just not enough depth yet to feel comfortable. Injuries can be really devastating to the program.

I think PJ Fleck and his staff recognize that. When I watch their practices, I felt that they maximize injury prevention as much as possible.

I just don't get why we have so many RB injuries. They are out for huge chunks of time. Do we have to worry about the practice turf? I am keeping my fingers crossed that Mo stays durable, and that one or two guys behind him take the mantle and position themselves to be just like Mo better.

i hope/think they will concentrate and getting some safety help in this class. Would be great to add some high level talent to that group to compete

I hope they make Heyer and Hasert priorities for this class as well.

be interesting what they do at the QB position. I know we are after that Jackson kid form Ohio and he has a ton of schools after him. I dont know wiht all these extra year stuff going on. But if Morgan is done after this season. And i think its save to say at least 1 other QB looks to transfer as well. The need to bring in a QB would be pretty high in this class.
I dunno, I don’t think it’s a sure thing at all that a QB transfers. I don’t think Morgan leaves either.

I dunno, I don’t think it’s a sure thing at all that a QB transfers. I don’t think Morgan leaves either.
yup that could very well be the case. I still think at least 1 QB will move on....whether that be Morgan through graduation or someone else because of transfer. And 2 isnt out of the question either.

yup that could very well be the case. I still think at least 1 QB will move on....whether that be Morgan through graduation or someone else because of transfer. And 2 isnt out of the question either.
I’m guessing they’ll try to add one in this class, unless they feel really good about everyone returning, might take one even in that case.

Just because we haven't landed a 5* according to the recruiting services, it doesn't mean we haven't had any here.

Antoine Winfield III, Faalele, Mo Ibrahim and Rashod Bateman have all performed at levels higher than most 5* recruits very early in their college careers.

The unanswered question is, "would they have enjoyed similar success early if Minnesota had a bunch of 4 and 5* recruits ahead of them in the depth chart when they got here?"

Who cares? We ain't Alabama. And we aren't going to be any time soon.

As long as PJ and staff continue to find kids able to perform at a high level it doesn't matter what their ranking is!

I’m guessing they’ll try to add one in this class, unless they feel really good about everyone returning, might take one even in that case.

I think for most teams the goal is to bring in a QB in each class. We brought in 2 with the 2019 class which might account for why we didn't recruit a QB in the 2020 class but in general we always seem to have 1 QB in each class.

I think for most teams the goal is to bring in a QB in each class. We brought in 2 with the 2019 class which might account for why we didn't recruit a QB in the 2020 class but in general we always seem to have 1 QB in each class.

I've certainly heard PJ say things like "this class we want to bring in 2 at X position" and "we like to bring in A players at X position per class".

Of course holes and happy accidents of getting extra talent at a postion change those things. If all the 5* QBs wanted to come to MN suddenly, I would expect we'd probabbly take more than the usual amount and skimp at other positions ;)

Just because we haven't landed a 5* according to the recruiting services, it doesn't mean we haven't had any here.

Antoine Winfield III, Faalele, Mo Ibrahim and Rashod Bateman have all performed at levels higher than most 5* recruits very early in their college careers.

The unanswered question is, "would they have enjoyed similar success early if Minnesota had a bunch of 4 and 5* recruits ahead of them in the depth chart when they got here?"

Who cares? We ain't Alabama. And we aren't going to be any time soon.

As long as PJ and staff continue to find kids able to perform at a high level it doesn't matter what their ranking is!

Last point in your post is the key one.

That said, I don't expect to see us land a 5* recruit anytime soon. There are just so few of those guys to go around. I do think we will continue to see our profile rise though and with it the level of the recruits we are in contention for. Might not lead to any 5* recruits but I think we will see more and more 4* and high 3* guys coming on board in the next few years.

Have we ever had a 5* football recruit?

Minnesota hardly ever produces one and I think the Twins do a better job of signing them than the Gophers.

Have we ever had a 5* football recruit?

Minnesota hardly ever produces one and I think the Twins do a better job of signing them than the Gophers.

Mauer is probably the only local guy in the recruiting rankings era that was a 5*. Jeff Jones was within shouting distance of being a 5* I think.

Jones was a 4* who turned into a 0. Poor kid.

Mauer is probably the only local guy in the recruiting rankings era that was a 5*. Jeff Jones was within shouting distance of being a 5* I think.
RySz2sL.gif

Remember stars only have meaning for recruiting as the stars disappear during the first practice. My uncle Pete always said "one's education begins after graduation". Mr Miyagi told us "one becomes a student after obtaining a black belt".

Top Bottom