Wide Receiver University

hungan1

Reaction score
With the successful launch of Rashod Bateman into a First Round NFL pick, I hope that prospective WR recruits around the country are noticing that we have a Wide Receiver University right here in Gopher Country.

Simon and Fleck are a dynamic duo in WR talent development.

The Gophers have become multidimensional on offense. When all cylinders are clicking, they are a difficult team for opponents to handle. The 2019 season will forever be one of my favorites.

They are loaded at the skill positions on paper. It will be even scarier when the defense start clicking on all cylinders.

The day have arrived when Wisconsin and Iowa are hearing louder footsteps in the battle for Big ten West.

Last edited:

Was Demry Croft all-state? Googled him but only found some pretty alarming news articles I either didn’t know about or had forgotten about.
Assume Some Guy was referring to Athan not Demry.

The Gophers WR Room is a good alternative to the crowded one at Bama for recruits who'd want to start sooner than later.
No doubt. Alabama has so many 4 and 5 stars even some great players don’t play. Hopefully kids recognize that.

Was Demry Croft all-state? Googled him but only found some pretty alarming news articles I either didn’t know about or had forgotten about.
I don't think he was. 247 had him ranked as the number 1 QB in the state -- though he was 17th overall.

The Gophers WR Room is a good alternative to the crowded one at Bama for recruits who'd want to start sooner than later.

I was thinking about this last night. On one hand....you could make the argument that Bateman playing at Alabama would have given him more exposure....maybe heightened his draft stock? At the same time....would he have developed the same way? Getting on the field as a true freshman seems unlikely at a school like Alabama. Even his BTRotY campaign in 2019 as a sophomore....does he even get the opportunity. I'm sure that Fleck can and will use this as a selling point.

I was thinking about this last night. On one hand....you could make the argument that Bateman playing at Alabama would have given him more exposure....maybe heightened his draft stock? At the same time....would he have developed the same way? Getting on the field as a true freshman seems unlikely at a school like Alabama. Even his BTRotY campaign in 2019 as a sophomore....does he even get the opportunity. I'm sure that Fleck can and will use this as a selling point.
It might work on some guys but the volume of high ranking croots happy to stack up behind others at blue bloods always makes me doubt how effective that kind of pitch is.

The same can be said of Trey Lance coming to the Gophers. Could he have developed in the same way that he did at NDSU to become the 3rd pick overall in the NFL Draft?

The Gophers may not attract 5-Stars like Alabama and other super programs. But, they certainly attract 4-Stars and high 3-Stars.

We will find out in the next few years if the Gophers can become an attractive alternative. The future looks bright.

we will never consistently get the athletes out wide that are the same caliber as teams like Bama and Florida
True, but we don't need those guys to be really successful at the position. There are lots of really talented receivers out there and we seem to be building a program that is getting their attention. Having a guy like Bateman go in the first round can only help improve our reputation as a decent spot for WRs.

True, but we don't need those guys to be really successful at the position. There are lots of really talented receivers out there and we seem to be building a program that is getting their attention. Having a guy like Bateman go in the first round can only help improve our reputation as a decent spot for WRs.
I still think we can get quality WR, but if we want to be WR U we need guys like top SEC teams

Bateman is the spearhead. If the Gophers get WRs drafted in the next few classes regularly, then we will know that WR University has come to fruition. True Big Gopher69 - they have to make a break through and get lucky with next level talent.

Sooner or later, the Bamas and LSUs may have high caliber players that fall through the crack at the last minute. I like the idea that the Gophers continue to offer these type of players even though the odds of getting them is unlikely for this reason.

Who's the breakout WR this year? (not including CAB) I like Jackson
7zw2jzv.gif

Who's the breakout WR this year? (not including CAB) I like Jackson
Really curious to get a look at Brockington in the spring game. He has gotten some pub already and WR is spot where a true freshman can bust out. Maybe he becomes our next great GA receiver.

Jackson feels like an obvious choice but wouldn't shock me to see a new guy that we haven't seen to this point step up in a big way.

The same can be said of Trey Lance coming to the Gophers. Could he have developed in the same way that he did at NDSU to become the 3rd pick overall in the NFL Draft?

The Gophers may not attract 5-Stars like Alabama and other super programs. But, they certainly attract 4-Stars and high 3-Stars.

We will find out in the next few years if the Gophers can become an attractive alternative. The future looks bright.
I feel this way. I think lance would still be here and would not be on same trajectory as if he had gone to NDSU. It worked for him

With Wentz and now Lance....you could almost make the argument that more quarterbacks should go play at a lower level. Easier to show out.

With Wentz and now Lance....you could almost make the argument that more quarterbacks should go play at a lower level. Easier to show out.
I have never understood why 4 and 5 star QBs go to schools who already have a roster full of 4 and 5 star QBs. It does not matter what school you go to if you want to get drafted. I think more high level QB recruits should go to teams like Fresno state, Boise, and lesser p5 schools so they can start right away and get game experience.

Top Bottom