WI o-lineman Kayden Lyles in portal

swingman

Reaction score
On Monday afternoon, Wisconsin Badgers offensive lineman Kayden Lyles announced on Twitter that he will be entering the transfer portal and using his last year of eligibility at a new program. Lyles has appeared in five of Wisconsin’s seven games this season, but hasn’t seen the field since the Illinois game.

While he is still listed as the backup center on the depth chart that was released Monday morning, one can safely assume that he won’t be in that position on Saturday.

Lyles, a native of Madison, was a 4-star prospect coming out of high school back in 2017 and had offers from schools like Michigan, Michigan State, Arizona, Arizona State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Southern Cal among others.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: OCT 09 Wisconsin at Illinois
Photo by Michael Allio/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
While he ended up redshirting his first year on campus, Lyles started seven games his redshirt freshman season...just on the defensive line instead of the offensive line. In his career Lyles started 16 games (four at guard, five at center, seven at defensive end) and appeared in 34.

Heading into the season, Lyles was projected to be the starting center for a revamped Wisconsin offensive line, but he was beaten out for the position by sophomore Joe Tippmann. With a younger player in front of him, the writing was on the wall for Lyles if he wanted more playing time in his final season.

Lyles is now the fifth player to leave the Wisconsin program and enter the transfer portal this season, following WR Devin Chandler, RBs Antwan Roberts, Jalen Berger and Loyal Crawford.

Here is Lyles’ full statement from Twitter:

With one year of college football left in my future, I’ve decided to bet on myself and will be transferring to a new program for my final season of eligibility. My five years as part of the Wisconsin football program have given me some of the best times of my life and experiences I’ll never forget. Though my time as a Badger has come to an end, I’ll forever be thankful to the fans, coaches, staff and — especially — to my teammates for all their support.
On, Wisconsin!
Kayden

Would you trade Dunlap for Lyles? Both are in the portal now.

So with the COVID eligibility I am confused on the status of our starting OL. Who still has eligibility left after this season?

Andries, Ruschmeyer, Faalele, Schmitz?

Does that sound correct?

I don’t really understand how it works. He has one year left but he has to sit to transfer if he isn’t transferring immediately upon graduation. So is he going to play his last season in two years?

Thanks Swing! Good post and intel!
Yeah thanks for spaming the board with headline after headline! Just ridiculous and something you don't see elsewhere. Go to Twitter or Reddit and aggregate the heck out of Gopher adjacent headlines.

Last edited:

Yeah thanks for spaming the board with headline after headline! Just ridiculous and something you don't see elsewhere. Go to Twitter or Reddit and aggregate the heck out of Gopher adjacent headlines.
So go back to your “elsewhere” site and enjoy the solitude.

I don’t really understand how it works. He has one year left but he has to sit to transfer if he isn’t transferring immediately upon graduation. So is he going to play his last season in two years?

No, there is a one time free transfer with immediate eligibility now.

We're potentially going to be losing a crap load of OL for 2022.

I'd take this guy to replace JMS, next season, if he were willing to come to Wisconsin's blood rival.

Would be like Favre coming to the Vikings.

It's fine 99% of the time, I'm good with Bleed and everyone else but I have to call it like I see it. It's a spamfest.
It's a football message board and he posts things about the teams we're playing against. I welcome the info as it helps me understand more about what is happening around the conference. I'm sure as hell not going to search out Purdue or Illinois football news so this is a one stop shop.

It's a football message board and he posts things about the teams we're playing against. I welcome the info as it helps me understand more about what is happening around the conference. I'm sure as hell not going to search out Purdue or Illinois football news so this is a one stop shop.
Well ... it's more like a nearly endless strip mall of separate storefronts.

But yes, your point is correct.

Well ... it's more like a nearly endless strip mall of separate storefronts.

But yes, your point is correct.
Suggestion: HuskerMax (eeew) has a separate permanent football sub forum titled, "Other Teams".

Perhaps GopherHole could consider something similar.

No, there is a one time free transfer with immediate eligibility now.
I thought that was during the 2020-21 window: like June 2020 to august 2021.

When does that expire
Or is that permanent now

Suggestion: HuskerMax (eeew) has a separate permanent football sub forum titled, "Other Teams".

Perhaps GopherHole could consider something similar.
100% for that. Gives all sides what they want, right?

Gopherhole still makes the same money (based on unique monthly users, to advertisers).

It's fine 99% of the time, I'm good with Bleed and everyone else but I have to call it like I see it. It's a spamfest.
Crazy thought, but when you see a post with a title that doesn't match what you want to read about, don't click on it. 🤯

Would you trade Dunlap for Lyles? Both are in the portal now.
If Lyles isn't good enough to start, no. This is why he is leaving Wisconsin as he either wants to start or at least get more playing time.

Crazy thought, but when you see a post with a title that doesn't match what you want to read about, don't click on it. 🤯
Rule 1: You must not look beyond next game.
Rule 2: You must read every post on GH.

Rule 1: You must not look beyond next game.
Rule 2: You must read every post on GH.
But what if the post is about a game that is multiple weeks away? That would be breaking rule number one to follow rule number 2. I'm so confused....

Top Bottom