Why wren never reads The Daily Gopher

Killjoy

Reaction score
In their weekly question column at The Daily Gopher Norsk Gopher asked:

What really bugs you? Part A: What kind of comment or question about Gopher football (or other sports) to you read/hear/or are asked all of the time that just really bugs you and why does it bug you?. Leave out "Gopher football has always sucked and always will," that being super irritating is a given. Part B: What kind of comment or question (in general) to you read/hear/or are asked all of the time that just really bugs you and why does it bug you?

Three of their columnists replied as follows:

JDMill: The comment that I get most often that always drives me crazy is one I've written about before. It's the "Gopher fans just need to settle for the fact that Gopher football is only ever going to be as good as Mason had them." First of all, you immediately lose me anytime you begin with the phrase "Gopher fans just need to settle..." Second of all, if you're interested in settling on something, why don't you settle on the fact that the Gophers don't need fans like you.

GopherNation: The question that bugs me more than anything is when people ask me what questions really bothers me the most. I also get really irritated by Glen Mason questions and how Jerry Kill is just getting the Gophers back to his level of mediocrity.

GoAUpher: Anything and everything related to "don't you regret firing Mason?" It's such an intellectually lazy statement that ignores the independence of the various steps that led to the Brew mess. Firing Mason wasn't what screwed the program, hiring Brewster was. Joel Maturi passed on Charlie Strong for Tim Brewster. The head to head resume comparison wasn't even a contest. And yet, the Brew years happened.

Don't you just love The Daily Gopher?

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2013/...lbag-asktdg-talks-real-football-gibberish-and

First, the Mason level was not mediocrity (long string of All-Americans, winning big games on the road, plenty of bowls, including victories over Alabama, Arkansas and Oregon). Second, Kill is nowhere near Mason's record. This year will be the big challenge as San Jose State was 11-2 last year with a top QB and the B10 schedule is brutal. If Kill makes a bowl this year, I'd say we are back to Mason (who was no Bierman).

IIRC Mase went 3-8 and 5-6 in his first two years here. Kill went 3-9 and 6-7. Kill also has two 2-6 B1G records compared to Mase's 1-7 and 2-6. It is fair to say that Kill inherited an equally bad program as Mase did. The records are comparable.

And...that is why the number of Big Ten wins and a bowl invitation is SO...

IIRC Mase went 3-8 and 5-6 in his first two years here. Kill went 3-9 and 6-7. Kill also has two 2-6 B1G records compared to Mase's 1-7 and 2-6. It is fair to say that Kill inherited an equally bad program as Mase did. The records are comparable.

important for Coach Kill in this third season. Coach Mason had 8 Big Ten wins by the end of the third season. Coach Kill would need 4 Big Ten wins in this 2013 season to stay equal with Mason's Big Ten record at the end of three seasons. I would LOVE to see Coach Kill get a lot more Big Ten wins than Coach Mason by the end of three seasons...by the end of six seasons...by the end of ten seasons. I would LOVE to see Coach Kill start turning out some All-American Players...ALL_CONFERENCE Players and wouldn't it be fun to play some teams and beat some teams in bowl games the way Coach Mason's teams did.

The thing is: I just have to see these things happen before I start proclaiming Coach Kill, or any other coach, as a better coach than Coach Mason was here at Minnesota during the past twenty years. I don't live in a fantasy world. I NEED to see the results on the score board. Is that asking TOO much? Until Coach Kill or some other University of Minnesota Football coach wins MORE Big Ten Games than Coach Mason did, I find it impossible to say that Coach Kill or any other football coach here at the U ranks above Coach Mason's record.

But people it has got to HAPPEN on the football field and be documented in the official Big Ten Standings before it counts for ANYTHING. That is how it is in the REAL world. A Big Ten win is NOT a Big Ten win until it has been won on the football field in the stadiums across Big Ten Land. I don't care how much any bloggers or Daily Gopher writers try to intellectualize the "goodness" or the "badness" of ANY coach. The best Football Coach at the U of M in the past twenty years will be the one who has won the MOST Big Ten Games as a University of Minnesota Football coach during the past twenty years. Let's see how Coach Kill and Coach Mason's Big Ten Records will compare at the end of the 2013 season Football Fans! Then we can continue that process with the 2014 season. It's going to REALLY be interesting to see, don't you think? Or do some of you prefer to live in some fantasy world in which "less is more..." and in which opinion counts more than the actual record?

; 0 )

Top Bottom