Why Wisconsin put up 83 points today

eker0016

Importer Exporter
Reaction score
I was thinking about why Bret poured it on today to put up 83. I haven't seen it discussed on here (so forgive me if it has already), but we have a 3 way tie right now for the Big Ten Champion. The Rose Bowl takes the highest BCS rated team, if there are three Big Ten Champions.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) MSU did not play OSU this year. They did beat Wisconsin. If it was a tie between just them and Wisconsin, they would be the sole champion and go to the Rose Bowl. However, even though OSU lost to Wisconsin, they didn't lose to MSU...therefore MSU cannot be the outright winner of the championship.

So basically, if these three teams win out, they are all Big Ten Champions. The Rose Bowl takes the team with the highest BCS rating, not the team that is undefeated vs. other Big Ten co-Champions.

Right now, Wisconsin (7) is a little ahead of OSU (9) and MSU (11) in the rankings. OSU plays against better opponents in PSU and Iowa in the next two games than Wisconsin, so they may be pushing to surpass Wisconsin in the BCS rankings, and secure a trip to the Rose Bowl.

I'm finally to my point about Wisconsin scoring 83 points -- anything they possibly prop up their BCS ranking and keep them ahead of OSU is justified -- thus, why Bret ran up the score (albeit with 2nd and 3rd stringers).

Has this already been discussed on here? Am I wrong about this (I'm no BCS expert by any means, but I looked up the rules today and I think I've interpreted it correctly).

Was he asked about why he ran up the score? I can't fault him for doing it with how the BCS uses computer rankings. They still have an outside shot at the National Championship. If he tried to use some lame excuse, he is an ass.

Was he asked about why he ran up the score? I can't fault him for doing it with how the BCS uses computer rankings. They still have an outside shot at the National Championship. If he tried to use some lame excuse, he is an ass.

Margin of victory is not a part of the computer rankings that factor into the BCS.

Margin of victory is not a part of the computer rankings that factor into the BCS.

True...but my understanding is that BCS rankings is 1/3 AP poll, 1/3/ coach's poll and 1/3 computer poll. I could definitely see the AP/coaches be influenced more by an 83-20 trouncing than a 1 point nailbiter.

True...but my understanding is that BCS rankings is 1/3 AP poll, 1/3/ coach's poll and 1/3 computer poll. I could definitely see the AP/coaches be influenced more by an 83-20 trouncing than a 1 point nailbiter.

Replace ap poll with harris poll (another human poll) and you are correct.

You are correct sir. I just read an article about the BCS throwing margin of victory out in 2002. Hopefully, human voters are not impressed with running up the score.
From an article about the BCS:
The true Sagarin ratings include margin of victory. That final rating is reached by combining two elements, he said. One rating does not include scores — that’s the one the BCS uses — and another does. Strength of schedule is a component in both.

Just so you know AP Poll is no longer a factor in the BCS Standings, they have no part what so ever in the BCS.

They probably put up 83 because they're a football team that played 60 minutes of football. The horror.

Complaining about running up the score = loser talk. Plain and simple. It's not about class, it's not about being nice and protecting people's feelings, it's about playing your best on every down, period.

Yeah, Bielema's a dick but so what, he's a football coach.

They probably put up 83 because they're a football team that played 60 minutes of football. The horror.

Complaining about running up the score = loser talk. Plain and simple. It's not about class, it's not about being nice and protecting people's feelings, it's about playing your best on every down, period.

Yeah, Bielema's a dick but so what, he's a football coach.

Yet, the NCAA was so worried about people running up the score that they removed margin of victory from the BCS. You can play 60 minutes of football without throwing the ball. Brett is not making any friends around the Big Ten or with the NCAA. That's cool with me.

Why should one team get to still compete and the other have to half-ass it?

Why should the winning team have to hand it to the RB over and over, let the D stack the box with 9 and tee off on him?

The BCS is still based on human polls, and margin of victory does influence them.

More importantly, if you don't like it, f-ing stop someone. Indiana deserved to have 83 points scored on them.

I like it when teams keep playing for 60 minutes. Then you look at the scoreboard and both teams have exactly what they earned.

He didn't "pour it on", as you incorrectly suggest.

He was playing 2nd stringers for most of the 3rd quarter, 3rd string players for most of the 4th.

The long throw in the second half, came from their 2nd string QB on a 3rd and 5. The QB was supposed to throw for a 1st down to keep the clock winding down. Instead, he broke off the play and threw it down the sidelines.

Otherwise, the scores came because IU gave up trying to stop the RUN. Plain and simple. Bill Lynch, coach of IU, pretty much admitted this in his post game.

Bitching about Bielema running up the score makes us look like major losers.

They won. They're good. I don't really care that you think he's a dick.

Bitching about Bielema running up the score makes us look like major losers.
They won. They're good. I don't really care that you think he's a dick.
No. That's what fans do. If you feel like a loser based on the result of a game or series of games that you personally had absolutely nothing to do with, there's not much hope for you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and sulk because Jackass 3D isn't number 1 at the box office this weekend.

Summer's Eve

El "Summer's Eve" ran up the score for a variety of reasons. None of them good. None of them acceptable. What he did yesterday was inexcusable, and in time, he will get his.

BB has set himself apart in the land of the "Massengill". The shoe will be on the other foot in the future and the entire big ten will pile on.

Yes, Indiana needs to stop them, but when you're passing in the 4th quarter when up by 50+ points, there is no defense for the action. If they were running the the 4th string RB over and over and over again and still scoring, ok. But when you're running the offense as if the game hasn't been decided, even deep into the depth chart you've crossed a line.

Indiana gave up, and Lynch may be fired for it. Bielema is still a major pick one between "Summer's Eve or Massengill product".

For all of the "excuses" offered as to why they did it, if Ferentz hadn't "pulled a Brewster" WI would have lost to both Michigan State and Iowa and El "Summer's Eve" still would have pulled his stunt yesterday without a "reason" to fall back on.

The solution is simple. Root for the Corn Chickens to beat Ohio State next week and take Wisconsin out of the picture -- assuming Michigan State wins out. The honor of the big ten rests in Ferentz and Dantonio's hands.

EDIT: Doosh is a bad word?

He was playing 2nd stringers for most of the 3rd quarter, 3rd string players for most of the 4th.

The long throw in the second half, came from their 2nd string QB on a 3rd and 5. The QB was supposed to throw for a 1st down to keep the clock winding down. Instead, he broke off the play and threw it down the sidelines.

Otherwise, the scores came because IU gave up trying to stop the RUN. Plain and simple. Bill Lynch, coach of IU, pretty much admitted this in his post game.

Stay Classy Madison.

El "Summer's Eve" ran up the score for a variety of reasons. None of them good. None of them acceptable. What he did yesterday was inexcusable, and in time, he will get his.

BB has set himself apart in the land of the "Massengill". The shoe will be on the other foot in the future and the entire big ten will pile on.

Yes, Indiana needs to stop them, but when you're passing in the 4th quarter when up by 50+ points, there is no defense for the action. If they were running the the 4th string RB over and over and over again and still scoring, ok. But when you're running the offense as if the game hasn't been decided, even deep into the depth chart you've crossed a line.

Indiana gave up, and Lynch may be fired for it. Bielema is still a major pick one between "Summer's Eve or Massengill product".

For all of the "excuses" offered as to why they did it, if Ferentz hadn't "pulled a Brewster" WI would have lost to both Michigan State and Iowa and El "Summer's Eve" still would have pulled his stunt yesterday without a "reason" to fall back on.

The solution is simple. Root for the Corn Chickens to beat Ohio State next week and take Wisconsin out of the picture -- assuming Michigan State wins out. The honor of the big ten rests in Ferentz and Dantonio's hands.

EDIT: Doosh is a bad word?

Which is more offensive to the other team, put in your backups and still play hard, or have your starting QB take a knee with 10 minutes left in the game? Any athlete, in any sport, at any level, will take the other team still playing hard, then being so cocky they just give up. The pass int he 4th quarter was by the backup who hasn't played all year. Let the kid have a chance to play in a game, since he still shows up to practice everyday like everyone else yet sits on the bench all season. He deserves to get to play hard. Wisconsin did everything they could to call the dogs off, but Indiana is that bad, and Wisconsin is that deep. The Badgers never even punted in the game, and only once had to go for a field goal. What do you do...fall down before crossing the goal line?

There are many reasons given by the embarrassingly high amount of Badger fans on this board why Wisconsin is not at fault for the final score. Fact is there are a lot of teams in this country that are better than Wisconsin, and they have played teams with larger talent disparities and they found a way not to run up the score like this. The argument that they tried to tone it down and Indiana simply couldn't stop it is ridiculous. When Wisconsin runs the ball, it is playing to their strength...maybe they could have worked on their passing game? Wisconsin wanted to make a point...whether you think that is awesome or classless is purely based on your point view.

So caliGopher says the Badgers should have run and GopherHomer says they should have passed. Did either of you watch the game? I thought not.

Well, Indiana fans watched the game and they didn't think it was running up the score.

We just couldn't stop them.

This post says it best:

Whisky did everything but start kneeling with 4 mins left to play..... Reply
conservative. They pulled starters. They even started pulling backups. This is a conference game, and at some point you have to hold Indiana accountable for not forcing a single stop. When a 3rd string QB can run in the slowest bootleg TD I've ever seen (including PeeWee League), your defense has clearly just stopped trying at that point and deserves what it gets.

You can hate Bielema all you want for whatever reasons (such as beating the Gophers like a drum and making Tim-may cry), but on this one you are off base. Your convoluted reasons to enforce your own dislike are unnecessary - you can hate him just because he is the Badger coach.

I think Bielema's a major tool (a lot of college football coaches are), but if he was playing his 2nd and 3rd stringers, there isn't anything wrong here.

This is what I was trying to explain to Badger fans when I was ticked about Bielema's going for a two-point conversion. If you score 100 points, but do it in the normal flow of a game of this type and are playing your subs, I have no problem at all with it. I wouldn't have minded if he had kept mixing in a pass every now and then. Who knows when Nate Tice will be called on to throw at some time in the future. If a game turns into a glorified scrimmage, so be it.

The two-point thing has been talked to death and I'm not going to go there.

Oh, really? ....

I guess it must have been a misprint then that showed Tolzien throwing a touchdown pass at the end of the third quarter to make it 59-13. What's your definition of "pouring it on"?

I cannot stand Bret Bielema or the entire Badger program.

That being said, they did NOTHING wrong yesterday by scoring 83 points. IU laid down and offered ZERO resistance. Wisconsin was playing their 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers. Those kids are part of the team. They go to practice every day, the go to meetings, they lift the weights, they deserve the opportunity to get into the game and run the offensive schemes they practice. On the last TD, Nate Tice looked like he wanted to do anything BUT score...the problem was the IU defense had no interest in tackling him.

Those of you whining and saying Wisconsin was classless have no clue. And this opinion is coming from somebody who HATES the Badgers.

Wisconsin is classless.

No, I don't think there was anything particularly wrong with what they did yesterday; I just think they suck and have no class.

I haven't read the whole board and maybe this has been commented on .... there was a picture of the scoreboard with the score at 83-10 and it had Wisky with 3 T.O.L.. So they weren't dragging the game out .... shows a little class.

I cannot stand Bret Bielema or the entire Badger program.

That being said, they did NOTHING wrong yesterday by scoring 83 points. IU laid down and offered ZERO resistance. Wisconsin was playing their 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers. Those kids are part of the team. They go to practice every day, the go to meetings, they lift the weights, they deserve the opportunity to get into the game and run the offensive schemes they practice. On the last TD, Nate Tice looked like he wanted to do anything BUT score...the problem was the IU defense had no interest in tackling him.

Those of you whining and saying Wisconsin was classless have no clue. And this opinion is coming from somebody who HATES the Badgers.

Agreed. I don't think you can blame Wisconsin for this one. Indiana just gave up. Amazing how a team can go from one play away from beating Iowa to losing by 63 the next week.

Top Bottom