Why not bring back College Game Day for the Ohio State game at Minnesota?

hungan1

Reaction score
This is one of the most intriguing games early in the season. Why not?

It will be in nice weather. We have some national recruiting to do. I want to hear Herb Kirkstreit say that Minnesota is a program to watch continually on the rise.

It's a great promo for College Game Day and for the Big Ten.

"Folks, you don't turn your back on this Minnesota team..."

Last edited:

It's a Thursday game, and it's also on Fox.

Just a guess, but Minnesota may have hosted its last GameDay. I think that in the fullness of time we will seldom play on ESPN/ABC anymore. I do think Minnesota will host traveling pregame shows again, but it will probably be the Fox equivalent "Big Noon Kickoff". I think the Big Ten will wind up the pillar of the Fox group's CFB package.

Big "Noon" Kickoff is coming for the Minnesota/Ohio State game and will broadcast on location. We'll be the undisputed top matchup of opening night.

The only schools to ever host this show are USC, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and now Minnesota. Looking at the program's schedule for Sept 2021, it's clear where this is going for Fox and the Big Ten.

Last edited:

It's a Thursday game, and it's also on Fox.

Just a guess, but Minnesota may have hosted its last GameDay. I think that in the fullness of time we will seldom play on ESPN/ABC anymore. I do think Minnesota will host traveling pregame shows again, but it will probably be the Fox equivalent "Big Noon Kickoff". I think the Big Ten will wind up the pillar of the Fox group's CFB package.

Big "Noon" Kickoff is coming for the Minnesota/Ohio State game and will broadcast on location. We'll be the undisputed top matchup of opening night.
They will think of something to promote the Big Ten and its soon to be formed alliances.

A cold war is brewing between the SEC bourgeoning monopoly and the rest of the other conferences.

They will think of something to promote the Big Ten and its soon to be formed alliances.

A cold war is brewing between the SEC bourgeoning monopoly and the rest of the other conferences.

My prediction? Unless another major media conglomerate enters the chat (either NBCUniversal or Viacom/CBS) there's going to be a setup that looks a little like the AFC/NFC rights in the NFL, with Fox owning the media rights to the Big Ten and competing with the Disney owned networks built around SEC rights.

If I had to guess, it may play out like:

Fox/FS1/BTN: Big Ten, Pac 12
ESPN/ABC/SECN: SEC, ACC

I actually think that would be quite nice for both media groups and fans. Disney group gets two conferences with natural regional overlap and a lot of strong programs. Fox group wins even bigger IMO, with tremendous nationwide breadth, larger media footprint, wealthier home markets, and CFB games from 11 am until midnight.

I am fine with whatever comes out of this as long as they don't mess up with Sling sports package for the short term. I just cut cable. It got too expensive for what you get in return. I will just go to my buddies' houses who still have cable until their wives kick us out. I don't intend to continue my Sling subscription beyond next year.

My hunch is that there will a lot jumping from one streaming service to another. They will plug those holes soon enough once the Monopoly gets bigger.

Sports is not as big a priority as it once was pre-pandemic. I have a lot of fishing, camping, sightseeing, and other things to do with my grandkids and buddies! 🤠

This sports and media marriage is big money. It is going to get uglier until the courts step in, or when they lose more paying fans. I don't know that it is sustainable for increasingly more fans. They are nickle and diming us constantly. It's put up or shut up time.

College Game Day, I bid you adieu.

Last edited:

I am fine with whatever comes out of this as long as they don't mess up with Sling sports package for the short term. I just cut cable. It got too expensive for what you get in return. I will just go to my buddies' houses who still have cable until their wives kick us out. I don't intend to continue my Sling subscription beyond next year.

My hunch is that there will a lot jumping from one streaming service to another. They will plug those holes soon enough once the Monopoly gets bigger.

Sports is not as big a priority as it once was pre-pandemic. I have a lot of fishing, camping, sightseeing, and other things to do with my grandkids and buddies! 🤠

This sports and media marriage is big money. It is going to get uglier until the courts step in, or when they lose more paying fans. I don't know that it is sustainable for increasingly more fans. They are nickle and diming us constantly. It's put up or shut up time.

College Game Day, I bid you adieu.
Have you considered You Tube TV? I have all of the sports channels that I care to watch and it is cheaper than Spectrum.

Have you considered You Tube TV? I have all of the sports channels that I care to watch and it is cheaper than Spectrum.
Is that a viable option for someone not very tech savvy (like me)?

Having a smart TV makes it a lot easier. All your controls are built into the TV's remote, which controls the sound as well for the single, integrated device.

You can get them at Costco at pretty good quality for pretty cheap.

I know brands like TCL and Hisense have Roku built right into the TV's operating system. You turn it on, click over to the YouTubeTV box, and that brings you right to a menu that's just like your cable box's guide screen.

Having a smart TV makes it a lot easier. All your controls are built into the TV's remote, which controls the sound as well for the single, integrated device.

I know brands like TCL and Hisense have Roku built right into the TV's operating system. You turn it on, click over to the YouTubeTV box, and that brings you right to a menu that's just like your cable box's guide screen.
Ahh - I see the icon on the TV sometimes when I'm messing with the controls.

Clemson-Georgia is always going to pull Gameday over... pretty much any possible other match-up that doesn't involve those two teams.

Let's be honest, Game Day is a waste of an hour.
If you have a smart TV or a streaming stick or Spectrum etc go to their channel search and add YTTV.
Get a Google account.
I had one because I use gmail
Turn on YTTV and put in your wifi password when prompted and enjoy.
The format takes a while to get used to but is far better than Hulu etc.
I am sure there are YouTube videos showing how to do this.

Let's be honest, Game Day is a waste of an hour.
It is.

There's no novelty left in it, anymore. The thing that it is now, is the pride in getting to host it. Even that has to have worn off by now for places that have hosted double-digit times, I would think.

Lots of good points in here.
Also—there are like 5 games between ranked teams on opening weekend. All as or more intriguing to a National base than the gophers.

I kinda suspect ESPN might be a bit pissed at B1G.... ACC, PAC. Might, if all things are equal...pick and SEC game.

If you're really looking for a steal, try Uzzu. It's an IPTV app on Roku, firestick, etc. $20 a month, and it honestly has every sports channel you could ask for. It seems too good to be true, but I've had it since HuluTV dropped Fox Sports North (Bally's) around March, and it's worked great. Every single NHL/MLB/NBA/NFL game - both home and away broadcasts, plus B1G channel, RedZone, NFL Network, etc. Plus random channels like Discovery and News stations.

It doesn't have a TV schedule/listing, which sucks, and only shows the icons of the game/channels. It does feel sketchy, but it's a different type of streaming, and with the costs of everything nowadays, I don't even care. It's worth the ride while it lasts!

If you're really looking for a steal, try Uzzu. It's an IPTV app on Roku, firestick, etc. $20 a month, and it honestly has every sports channel you could ask for. It seems too good to be true, but I've had it since HuluTV dropped Fox Sports North (Bally's) around March, and it's worked great. Every single NHL/MLB/NBA/NFL game - both home and away broadcasts, plus B1G channel, RedZone, NFL Network, etc. Plus random channels like Discovery and News stations.

It doesn't have a TV schedule/listing, which sucks, and only shows the icons of the game/channels. It does feel sketchy, but it's a different type of streaming, and with the costs of everything nowadays, I don't even care. It's worth the ride while it lasts!
Lulu likes Uzzu on Roku since Hulu dropped doo-doo.

Lulu likes Uzzu on Roku since Hulu dropped doo-doo.
I'm telling you, it's they greatest TV subscription service out there for any sports fan...do the week trail for $7 and tell me I'm wrong.

I wouldn't sacrifice my first post on here only to be wrong about it. If that were the case, I'd say something good about Wisconsin.

I'd consider it if it had the PAC12 channel, which will be needed for the Colorado game.

I'd consider it if it had the PAC12 channel, which will be needed for the Colorado game.
I've yet to have it during the football season, but the fact is has every pro game gives me hope it might have every college broadcast. It appears they update channels seasonally because it used to have TNT during basketball season, but doesn't now. We'll see...but I appreciate the early heads up on needing the Pac12 channel...

https://pac-12.com/getpac-12networks

Fubo and Sling offer free trials and have it. I already used up my Fubo free trial to watch Gopher volleyball at Stanford a couple years ago :(

Have no heard of vidgo, but looks like a full streaming platform. Wonder if Roku carries it

https://pac-12.com/getpac-12networks

Fubo and Sling offer free trials and have it. I already used up my Fubo free trial to watch Gopher volleyball at Stanford a couple years ago :(

Have no heard of vidgo, but looks like a full streaming platform. Wonder if Roku carries it
If you have Roku, give Uzzu a try. They have a $7 weekly trial, and they just added Pac12 channel. I've had it since Fox Sports North was dropped a few months ago, and will never go back. I've just done the $20/month package because it's too good to be true, and figured it would get taken down...but here I am 6 months into it.

I'm telling you, it's they greatest TV subscription service out there for any sports fan...do the week trail for $7 and tell me I'm wrong.

I wouldn't sacrifice my first post on here only to be wrong about it. If that were the case, I'd say something good about Wisconsin.

Hmmm ... that looks kinda shady to me.

I'm a no on "black box" type devices/services that are quasi-legal.

I tried watching last weekend but it definitely wasn't the same. They need some new blood.
The same guys who say too much focus on the playoff takes away from the game spread a whole show talking about the same 6-10 schools.

it’s kind of a catch 22.
Their biggest base is a group of fans from certain schools. To keep them they have to hype those schools. But at the same time by hyping those schools they turn off fans of another 120 schools in the country.

I used to watch game day every single week for at least part of it. I have turned it on maybe 10 times since 2016. Don’t need them to tell me how good Bama is for an hour. I already know.

The same guys who say too much focus on the playoff takes away from the game spread a whole show talking about the same 6-10 schools.

it’s kind of a catch 22.
Their biggest base is a group of fans from certain schools. To keep them they have to hype those schools. But at the same time by hyping those schools they turn off fans of another 120 schools in the country.

I used to watch game day every single week for at least part of it. I have turned it on maybe 10 times since 2016. Don’t need them to tell me how good Bama is for an hour. I already know.

:clap:

Top Bottom