Why no mention of Les Miles?

GopherAlum85

Reaction score
Has there been any confirmed attempt at contacting Les Miles? Maybe I've missed something and Miles has already said he isn't interested or the U isn't interested in him. Nothing against Fleck, Harsin, or Klieman, but Miles has a wealth of experience, an incredible record in the SEC, and has the ability to recruit in the southeast. Also, he stayed at LSU when he had other opportunities, ran a pretty clean program, and has a ton of assistants that have moved on to top coaching spots(Mike Gundy, Jimbo Fisher, Bo Pelini, among others). I'm guessing with his pedigree he could also get some of the current players to stay and bring in some higher quality players than we've got in the past.

I haven't heard anything about him, but I think that he would be a great hire as well.
We might be his last shot at a power five coaching gig, and perhaps he would give Coyle a chance to pitch him.

My 2 cents on Miles is that he is a solid but unspectacular coach who benefitted from having a state with the most NFL prospects per capita, only school in the state, and happened to win strongly when the SEC West was a bit down. The SEC West today is an absolute shark tank. I don't know why a coach would go there unless they are trying to max out their deals, as it is a lot easier to win in just about any other division in the country. I would dare say that Minnesota has an easier path to the College Football Playoff than any team in the SEC West that is not LSU or Alabama.

Has there been any confirmed attempt at contacting Les Miles? Maybe I've missed something and Miles has already said he isn't interested or the U isn't interested in him. Nothing against Fleck, Harsin, or Klieman, but Miles has a wealth of experience, an incredible record in the SEC, and has the ability to recruit in the southeast. Also, he stayed at LSU when he had other opportunities, ran a pretty clean program, and has a ton of assistants that have moved on to top coaching spots(Mike Gundy, Jimbo Fisher, Bo Pelini, among others). I'm guessing with his pedigree he could also get some of the current players to stay and bring in some higher quality players than we've got in the past.

I'm guessing it could be a price tag issue, but he'd at least be worth a call. He's made it clear he wants to keep coaching, and brings instant credibility to the program.

Unless Ray Hitchcock got up and told him they wanted to play for someone else. Anyone else here remember that fiasco that may have cost us Bobby Ross?

He mentioned wanting to go to a university who is willing to do what it takes to get a natty.

That could just be standard things you say, but I also think that could set the stage for salary, coordinator salaries.... something we're not willing to do out of the gate.

Ben Leber mentioned him on KFAN this morning. Tommy Olson also said he'd be his top choice. Then Ben Leber said Miles would be a good choice because this would be his last stop and he'd be here for 15-20 years. Good grief.

He mentioned wanting to go to a university who is willing to do what it takes to get a natty.

That could just be standard things you say, but I also think that could set the stage for salary, coordinator salaries.... something we're not willing to do out of the gate.

Do we know that we're not willing to do that?
I know that we don't have the most impressive booster pool in the world, but I think everyone knows that fans here want to be taken seriously.

Do we know that we're not willing to do that?
I know that we don't have the most impressive booster pool in the world, but I think everyone knows that fans here want to be taken seriously.

We haven't done it.... hard to imagine we just chose not to but had 7 mil a year to pay, plus a mil here or there per coordinator...

We haven't done it.... hard to imagine we just chose not to but had 7 mil a year to pay, plus a mil here or there per coordinator...

A lot of companies have sunk a lot of money into this program recently (Land O' Lakes, Boston Scientific, General Mills, Cargill, Hormel, etc.) if they want that investment to hit pay dirt, a big name coach is the easiest way to do it.

Ben Leber mentioned him on KFAN this morning. Tommy Olson also said he'd be his top choice. Then Ben Leber said Miles would be a good choice because this would be his last stop and he'd be here for 15-20 years. Good grief.

It must pain Chris Hawkeye (sp?) to have to listen to Gopher talk during his am KFAN show. Tommy Olson should slap him upside the head sometime.

It must pain Chris Hawkeye (sp?) to have to listen to Gopher talk during his am KFAN show. Tommy Olson should slap him upside the head sometime.

Chris Hawkey was on Kare 11's terrible 6:30 show last night talking about this situation. I was dumbfounded. He had literally no idea what he was talking about. I wish him and Cory Cove were no longer allowed to add any input on anything sports related.

The problem to me appears to be that Coyle is so in love with Fleck. It would certainly appear as though we r about to hire a head coach without so much as an interview of anyone else. From what I've read Coyle has interviewed Fleck before. He also knows Harsin personally. To me that, that shouldn't matter. To do your due diligence u should at least talk to a coach who has an NCAA title ring on his finger who wants a job and is available. Not to mention, Chip Kelly (who I don't want by the way) who is available and should at least be interviewed. To not speak to them shows poor leadership and decision making by Coyle.

Now, it is possible that Coyle has contacted both of them and they r not interested. If so, I'm fine with Fleck, but this yahoo better have looked at more than just one resume. The only way I look at one person and don't consider another single candidate is if that that one person is Nick Saben and that ain't happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Les Miles wouldn't come here if it were the last job on Earth. It's delusional to think he would.

Les Miles wouldn't come here if it were the last job on Earth. It's delusional to think he would.

Where else is he going to go? The second he takes a commentator job, he's done coaching. The trend is toward younger coaches and Miles is a dinosaur. We might be his last chance.

I believe Miles is 62. We need someone who isn't eligible to take Social Security yet. Also, Klieman hasn't been contacted nor will he. It's Fleck's job today and if doesn't want it it's Harsin's and the rumor is he will take it.

Where else is he going to go? The second he takes a commentator job, he's done coaching. The trend is toward younger coaches and Miles is a dinosaur. We might be his last chance.

I have no clue where he could go, but I know it would never be here. We have leprosy.

I believe Miles is 62. We need someone who isn't eligible to take Social Security yet. Also, Klieman hasn't been contacted nor will he. It's Fleck's job today and if doesn't want it it's Harsin's and the rumor is he will take it.

I don't have a problem with either of those options, but it's worth noting that neither of them fit Minnesota's personnel and we will likely be hard up for a few years. Les Miles could turn this team into gold in no time. Running offense, weak QB play, strong secondary are Miles' trademarks. We're built for him.

With Les i would anticipate sort of a Tubby type situation. Just my opinion.

My 2 cents on Miles is that he is a solid but unspectacular coach who benefited from having a state with the most NFL prospects per capita, only school in the state, and happened to win strongly when the SEC West was a bit down. The SEC West today is an absolute shark tank. I don't know why a coach would go there unless they are trying to max out their deals, as it is a lot easier to win in just about any other division in the country. I would dare say that Minnesota has an easier path to the College Football Playoff than any team in the SEC West that is not LSU or Alabama.

You may be right about the prospects/capita but keep in mind he is also competing against the entire SEC and the rest of the country for those Louisiana players. I'm not sure with the Florida schools, Alabama et al, the locals are falling in his lap. I like his style. You may call it unspectacular, but I would like to refer to it as solid without all the hype of a clown like Harbaugh or the authoritarian style of Saban. His record is solid...even recently(records posted below). And you can't argue he knows how to pick and mentor Assistant Coaches for their futures. I say open up the coffers and, for once, bring in the big name and roll the dice. We need to fill the stands, pay for the Athlete Village, and give the Gopher fans the feeling that they got a first rate hire as opposed to the feeling of "settling" which I've had over the last 35 years.

I was a student when the Bobby Ross debacle happened, but I was here when Holtz was hired too. That was the last "buzz" I had for a new coach. I used to work at Cooke Hall and would sneak down and listen to him talking to the players. Say what you want about his shortcomings, that guy could motivate the best out of average players.

Not that it matters, but on a trivia side, he coached Odell Beckham and his mom graduated from Windom High School back in 1988. Check out her high school track stats. They'll blow your mind...but I digress.

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Oklahoma State Cowboys (Big 12 Conference) (2001–2004)
2001 Oklahoma State 4–7 2–6 5th (South)
2002 Oklahoma State 8–5 5–3 T–3rd (South) W Houston
2003 Oklahoma State 9–4 5–3 3rd (South) L Cotton
2004 Oklahoma State 7–5 4–4 5th (South) L Alamo
Oklahoma State: 28–21 16–16
LSU Tigers (Southeastern Conference) (2005–2016)
2005 LSU 11–2 7–1 1st (Western) W Peach 5 6
2006 LSU 11–2 6–2 T–2nd (Western) W Sugar† 3 3
2007 LSU 12–2 6–2 1st (Western) W BCS NCG† 1 1
2008 LSU 8–5 3–5 3rd (Western) W Chick-fil-A
2009 LSU 9–4 5–3 2nd (Western) L Capital One 17 17
2010 LSU 11–2 6–2 T–2nd (Western) W Cotton 8 8
2011 LSU 13–1 8–0 1st (Western) L BCS NCG† 2 2
2012 LSU 10–3 6–2 T–2nd (Western) L Chick-fil-A 12 13
2013 LSU 10–3 5–3 3rd (Western) W Outback 14 14
2014 LSU 8–5 4–4 T–4th (Western) L Music City
2015 LSU 9–3 5–3 T–3rd (Western) W Texas 17 16
2016 LSU 2–2 1–1 (Western)
LSU: 114–34 62–28
Total: 141–55
National championship Conference title Conference division title
†Indicates Bowl Coalition, Bowl Alliance, BCS, or CFP / New Years' Six bowl.
#Rankings from final Coaches Poll.
°Rankings from final AP Poll.

Living and working in the south for the last 9 years, I've known quite a few LSU fans and alum. I can tell you that the majority of them felt Miles was a bumbling idiot and were certain he would do something to screw up their chances to win if the game was close late in the 4th. They had almost zero confidence in him.

Living and working in the south for the last 9 years, I've known quite a few LSU fans and alum. I can tell you that the majority of them felt Miles was a bumbling idiot and were certain he would do something to screw up their chances to win if the game was close late in the 4th. They had almost zero confidence in him.

Name a Minnesota coach that hasn't been a bumbling idiot. As far as confidence goes, they weren't beating Bama, we need to beat Wisconsin, different ballgame up here.
He wouldn't be evaluated against Kiffin's offense and Manziel's talent.
He just needs to beat Paul Chryst.

That "bumbling idiot" won a national title, won a ton of games in the SEC on a regular basis, and sent Assistants to head coaching jobs and more players to the NFL in the last 5 years than the Gophers have sent in my lifetime. I'd take that bumbling idiot in a heartbeat if he'd come here.

He wanted the Purdue job but he wouldn't come here? Give me a break. Word is he's already expressed interest but it's not mutual on Coyle's end which is a mistake. We're the last Power 5 job open and by next year he'll be going on 64.

That "bumbling idiot" won a national title, won a ton of games in the SEC on a regular basis, and sent Assistants to head coaching jobs and more players to the NFL in the last 5 years than the Gophers have sent in my lifetime. I'd take that bumbling idiot in a heartbeat if he'd come here.

He also took over for Nick Saban. Won the NC in year 3 with Saban's recruits. In one of the biggest recruiting hotbeds in the country.

He had a lot of things going his way at LSU. Minnesota doesn't offer those advantages. Did you see how LSU responded after he was fired?

Plus, he was mediocre at best at OSU.

He wanted the Purdue job but he wouldn't come here? Give me a break. Word is he's already expressed interest but it's not mutual on Coyle's end which is a mistake. We're the last Power 5 job open and by next year he'll be going on 64.

If he has expressed interest then Coyle sure as hell better give him a good listen. He is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the University of Minnesota.

Where are you hearing this?

He also took over for Nick Saban. Won the NC in year 3 with Saban's recruits. In one of the biggest recruiting hotbeds in the country.

He had a lot of things going his way at LSU. Minnesota doesn't offer those advantages. Did you see how LSU responded after he was fired?

Plus, he was mediocre at best at OSU.

He was so mediocre at OSU that LSU hired him, give me a break. LSU lost close games to two teams who will finish in the top 15 at the end of the year before they fired Les Miles. The guy has been to two national championship games, lets not pretend he doesn't know how to coach. He would be a phenomenal hire.

Think of all the times that Minnesota has wanted a big name coach and had to settle for someone out of left field.
Les Miles would fill the stands, create interest, bring big name players, and give us notoriety.
If he's interested, I don't know how you can say no.
We haven't had an opportunity like that since the 60s.

Think of all the times that Minnesota has wanted a big name coach and had to settle for someone out of left field.
Les Miles would fill the stands, create interest, bring big name players, and give us notoriety.
If he's interested, I don't know how you can say no.
We haven't had an opportunity like that since the 60s.

I kinda agree. He wouldn't be a long term solution but would create excitement. He's 63 so he really can't be very picky at this point.

Top Bottom