Why is Pitino off the hook?

I'm failing to see where many Minnesota fans love Pitino. Most everyone agrees he has made mistakes to this point. Most also believe that if he doesn't get things turned around next season he should probably be fired.

Again, not thinking he should get fired this year doesn't mean you love him as a coach.

My guess is you have never seen either one play before, correct? How about we find out for sure next year before we start making these type of claims?

Well the class is rated high by everyone so I wouldn't say it is a joke. Either way, again, how about we wait until next year so we know for sure?

Since the squad next year will be mostly sophomores and freshmen I would expect to see a marginal improvement. Now, '17 should see a big uptick in wins, if not, then it would be time to look for another coach.

I dont think anyone is giving him a free pass here. Some of us just know how silly it is to expect him to be fired this season.

+10....2017 will be the make or break season for coach.

Not sure you can call a 3-8 win season can be called.make or break. I wouldnt expect more than that. .500 in conference seems way out of reach for next year.

But his 3rd year class, has been an embarrassment minus Murphy who looks like he has tools to be a great player.

You must have a different definition of embarrassment than everyone else then. I don't know how anyone can come to that conclusion. Most freshman are going to struggle to some degree. Guys like Willie Burton and Damian Johnson didn't put up big numbers right away either. Even the guy that is probably going to win player of the year, Buddy Hield, struggled his first year. Not saying anyone is going to be as good as him, but it is ridiculous to think everyone is going to be good right away.

I think MN has way to high of expectations for next year.

Who do you mean by this? The fans? The team? Why does it matter what everyone thinks and hopes will happen? Ultimately it comes down to what actually happens.

Doubt Pitino will get a raise next year!

Looking forward to seeing Lynch next year based on his rebounding stats alone.

Not sure why everyone is excited about Fitzgerald. His stats are almost non-existent at Texas A and M. Hope he improves during his year off.

On a positive note:

Rebounding will be much better next year. Lynch can rebound at the 5, Murphy can rebound at the 4 , and Hurt can rebound at the 3. If Coffey plays the 2 he should also get some based on height alone.
Currently Gastone is a poor rebounder at the 5, and Joey at the 4 or 3 only gets a rebound when no one is around. Morris at the 2 gets pushed around like a rag doll under the boards. Next years team will be a much better rebounding team.

I agree that year three should show an upward bound trend not a downward one, but he's had only two full recruiting classes and yet there should be a movement upward. I would say that we should see some improvement the rest of the year in player development.

Our play down low needs to get infinitely better. One game, our big men have granite hands, the next they move like their shoes are line with iron. Until we have a serious big man, we are just an intramural bunch of delusional shooters.

Now excuse me, I have to wipe up some bloogers.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Doubt Pitino will get a raise next year!

Looking forward to seeing Lynch next year based on his rebounding stats alone.

Not sure why everyone is excited about Fitzgerald. His stats are almost non-existent at Texas A and M. Hope he improves during his year off.

On a positive note:

Rebounding will be much better next year. Lynch can rebound at the 5, Murphy can rebound at the 4 , and Hurt can rebound at the 3. If Coffey plays the 2 he should also get some based on height alone.
Currently Gastone is a poor rebounder at the 5, and Joey at the 4 or 3 only gets a rebound when no one is around. Morris at the 2 gets pushed around like a rag doll under the boards. Next years team will be a much better rebounding team.
Fitzgerald was pretty solid his freshman year at A&M before suffering a knee injury and his numbers dropped last year as he wasn't fully recovered and wasn't real comfortable having to play with a brace. I believe Pitino also mentioned at one point in the preseason that he was the most talented player they had.

Pitino is off the hook cause (I'm calling it now so save this if you want to throw it back in my face) we will end the BIG season on a 4 game win streak and we will win at least 1 other game (don't ask me to pick that) to end the season with a 5-13 record. This will cause people to be praising Pitino for his teams improvement over the course of the season(rightly or wrongly).

I apologize for not being able to keep up with the 4,300 Winasota posts on Gopherhole and each and every post from others on Gopherhole. But unless you and I are watching and reading different things, all I keep hearing and reading is how big of a turnaround next year is going to be because of this recruiting class.

:blah:

Since the squad next year will be mostly sophomores and freshmen I would expect to see a marginal improvement. Now, '17 should see a big uptick in wins, if not, then it would be time to look for another coach.

We are already pushing it back?

Pitino is off the hook cause (I'm calling it now so save this if you want to throw it back in my face) we will end the BIG season on a 4 game win streak and we will win at least 1 other game (don't ask me to pick that) to end the season with a 5-13 record. This will cause people to be praising Pitino for his teams improvement over the course of the season(rightly or wrongly).

That would be Rutgers, @Illinois, Wisconsin and @Rutgers.
Hope you're correct, although that is 4 perfect games and I'm not sure if a team has thrown 4 in one season much less four no-nos in a row.

That would be Rutgers, @Illinois, Wisconsin and @Rutgers.
Hope you're correct, although that is 4 perfect games and I'm not sure if a team has thrown 4 in one season much less four no-nos in a row.

At first when I looked this up a misread it as home against Ill. @Ill makes ti tougher but I'm sticking too it.

Our play down low needs to get infinitely better. One game, our big men have granite hands, the next they move like their shoes are line with iron. Until we have a serious big man, we are just an intramural bunch of delusional shooters.

Take note of the rare to casual posters that are extremely active when the team is at it's worst.

At first when I looked this up a misread it as home against Ill. @Ill makes ti tougher but I'm sticking too it.

Well we get Illinois at home against Saturday. Another decent showing tonight, as long as Michigan doesn't run them out of gym, Saturday might be your 5th win

I thought I heard or read somewhere that Pitino gets a $425,000 bonus if he is still the head coach on April 1, 2016.

Any validity to that?

Fitzgerald was pretty solid his freshman year at A&M before suffering a knee injury and his numbers dropped last year as he wasn't fully recovered and wasn't real comfortable having to play with a brace. I believe Pitino also mentioned at one point in the preseason that he was the most talented player they had.

+1

Have moderate to high hopes for Fitzgerald. Never know with a previous knee injury. Hoping for a rotation (top 7-8) player next season, then an eventual starter. If he ends up anything more than that, great.

I don't put a ton of stock in coachspeak, certainly as it pertains to Richard. Remember vividly how he talked up Gaston immediately before and immediately after he wasn't allowed into school. It's like he was saying, "Hey, I'm being severely handcuffed by not having this guy at my disposal first semester." At the time (hyperbole alert) I thought we were missing out on the Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon shake.

Have moderate to high hopes for Fitzgerald. Never know with a previous knee injury. Hoping for a rotation (top 7-8) player next season, then an eventual starter. If he ends up anything more than that, great.

I don't put a ton of stock in coachspeak, certainly as it pertains to Richard. Remember vividly how he talked up Gaston immediately before and immediately after he wasn't allowed into school. It's like he was saying, "Hey, I'm being severely handcuffed by not having this guy at my disposal first semester." At the time (hyperbole alert) I thought we were missing out on the Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon shake.

Honestly I don't recall that at all. I remember that as being the rational for him not playing even when he got admitted. Stating that he, and he used a similar excuse for Bakary with his class schedule, wasn't getting practice time so we cannot put him in there.

I could certainly be wrong, but I don't think/nor did I ever feel that Gas was going to be some stud. He looks like he could be as he and Barkary have all the physical tools to be B1G players, just dont have the athleticsm or basketball knowledge (yet?).

The only time I remember hearing over the top hyperbole was Lofton. I don't think anyone who even kind of pays attention to high school basket to the NBA. Well to a degree Martin I think he called him the steal of the recruiting class on the caravan tour.

Hopefully next year Mason and Murphy can each average 25 points a game so the Gophers have a chance to reach 50 points a game. You just hope Bakers Dozen, Lynch, Coffey, Hurt, Currey, Dorsey and Mcbryer can combine to chip in a total of 20 PPG which seems unlikely as I watch this team right now.

Hopefully next year Mason and Murphy can each average 25 points a game so the Gophers have a chance to reach 50 points a game. You just hope Bakers Dozen, Lynch, Coffey, Hurt, Currey, Dorsey and Mcbryer can combine to chip in a total of 20 PPG which seems unlikely as I watch this team right now.

Seeing as Coffey, Lynch, Curry, Hurt and Fitz aren't playing on this team right now, you're comment makes perfect sense

Top Bottom