Why I don't boo at Gopher football games

diefirma

Reaction score
Everyone on this board has had the experience of watching children participate in sports. This could be Little League, soccer, basketball, or myriad other sports. To my knowledge, children have never been booed at these events. The reason is simple. Parents have their children participate for a number of reasons; to develop physically, to learn to be a good winner, to learn to be a good loser, to be part of the team, etc. While the contests are often ENTERTAINING they are not ENTERTAINMENT in the same way that a movie, play, or Viking game is entertainment. Parents would have their children participate in these events even if they were not entertaining to gain the ancillary benefits described above for their children.

I feel the same way about Gopher football. I am not naïve. I understand that universities market football as entertainment to serve their own purposes; to raise money from alumni, to publicize the school, to engage state Legislators, to relieve the financial burden of non-revenue producing sports, etc. Moreover, coaches use the players to advance their own careers and to act out their own competitive needs. Nevertheless, even with the most cynical college presidents and the most manipulative head football coaches, there is an undeniable extra dimension in college football that is not there in professional football.

College football programs take young men, 17 or 18 years old, and mold their character in much the same manner that the Marines mold character. From all accounts, (I never played D1 football) big time football is a pressure cooker. Discipline is forced on the players in most facets of their life. They have to show up to practice on time or be punished. They have to show up for study sessions, watch film, lift weights, be on their best behavior because they are living under a microscope, eat healthily and so on and so on. Many of these players, both black and white, arrive poorly socialized and emotionally immature. With out a big-time program they would have difficulty becoming productive members of society. With the discipline that a football program imposes they have a 90% chance of graduating with a college degree (Maturi's numbers for players that stay with the program) and, I would submit, the ability to move through life with a lot more discipline and purpose than they otherwise would have had. For many players, football can be redemptive.

I mentioned I wasn't naïve nor am I blind. Like everyone else I watched Weber throw the ball into the ground, the receivers run routes that were obviously wrong, the line missing blocks, the defensive backs blowing coverage, and the team making many other mistakes. I do not see how booing the team or person would be helpful. I do not see how booing furthers the extra dimension of college football, the possibly redemptive nature of the game. It is like telling a fat lady she is fat. She already knows it and she doesn't want or need to hear it from you. The players don't want or need to hear me boo. They know that they have screwed up or they soon will know when they get to the sidelines.

One last note. Professional football is a different animal. Professional football is explicitly sold as entertainment. I don't personally boo professional athletes but I don't object to people that do. I also understand for some fans Gopher Football is only about the entertainment value. They have no emotional investment either in the University of Minnesota or in the success of the young men who make up the football team, but for myself I wish nothing but the best for these young men. I will not boo them.

Everyone on this board has had the experience of watching children participate in sports. This could be Little League, soccer, basketball, or myriad other sports. To my knowledge, children have never been booed at these events. The reason is simple. Parents have their children participate for a number of reasons; to develop physically, to learn to be a good winner, to learn to be a good loser, to be part of the team, etc. While the contests are often ENTERTAINING they are not ENTERTAINMENT in the same way that a movie, play, or Viking game is entertainment. Parents would have their children participate in these events even if they were not entertaining to gain the ancillary benefits described above for their children.

I feel the same way about Gopher football. I am not naïve. I understand that universities market football as entertainment to serve their own purposes; to raise money from alumni, to publicize the school, to engage state Legislators, to relieve the financial burden of non-revenue producing sports, etc. Moreover, coaches use the players to advance their own careers and to act out their own competitive needs. Nevertheless, even with the most cynical college presidents and the most manipulative head football coaches, there is an undeniable extra dimension in college football that is not there in professional football.

College football programs take young men, 17 or 18 years old, and mold their character in much the same manner that the Marines mold character. From all accounts, (I never played D1 football) big time football is a pressure cooker. Discipline is forced on the players in most facets of their life. They have to show up to practice on time or be punished. They have to show up for study sessions, watch film, lift weights, be on their best behavior because they are living under a microscope, eat healthily and so on and so on. Many of these players, both black and white, arrive poorly socialized and emotionally immature. With out a big-time program they would have difficulty becoming productive members of society. With the discipline that a football program imposes they have a 90% chance of graduating with a college degree (Maturi's numbers for players that stay with the program) and, I would submit, the ability to move through life with a lot more discipline and purpose than they otherwise would have had. For many players, football can be redemptive.

I mentioned I wasn't naïve nor am I blind. Like everyone else I watched Weber throw the ball into the ground, the receivers run routes that were obviously wrong, the line missing blocks, the defensive backs blowing coverage, and the team making many other mistakes. I do not see how booing the team or person would be helpful. I do not see how booing furthers the extra dimension of college football, the possibly redemptive nature of the game. It is like telling a fat lady she is fat. She already knows it and she doesn't want or need to hear it from you. The players don't want or need to hear me boo. They know that they have screwed up or they soon will know when they get to the sidelines.

One last note. Professional football is a different animal. Professional football is explicitly sold as entertainment. I don't personally boo professional athletes but I don't object to people that do. I also understand for some fans Gopher Football is only about the entertainment value. They have no emotional investment either in the University of Minnesota or in the success of the young men who make up the football team, but for myself I wish nothing but the best for these young men. I will not boo them.

I have made a few comments here and there about this issue as well, never being able to fully explain as well as you just did. Maybe people forget how young these KIDS really are. I don't know if I can chalk it up as fan ignorance of college football or what. But what young kid would want to come in to a program whose fans are so fair-weather and wishy washy, a completely new change in culture would be the only fix, or the Gophs just need to start winning all the time as their is no state in the union that loves a winner more than Minnesota. Great post

pigskinp.gif

I'm right there with you diefirma. Some around here vehemently defend their right to boo - it's their right I suppose but it's not a choice I make and it bums me out when others do it. You are correct that the NFL is a different animal, but I think that us being in a pro sports market influences the collegiate fans as fan behavior is concerned.

kids play college football in order to get to the NFL, so they might as well get used to the booing. Also there is an easy way to not get booed, throw a catch-able ball. how often do you think Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow get booed? probably not very much.

kids play college football in order to get to the NFL, so they might as well get used to the booing. Also there is an easy way to not get booed, throw a catch-able ball. how often do you think Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow get booed? probably not very much.

I'm sorry bud, but you just don't get it. I don't criticize people on here much because it is an open forum, but I have yet to agree with anything you have said on this board. I'm not sure if you do it on purpose or not, you seem like a gopher fan, but I have yet to read anything from you that resembles a rational thought....

These players are adults not children yet people continue to treat them like children. The players are being well compensated for their time at the U in the form of a free higher education in exchange for a high level of performance on the football field, a level that the vast majority of the population is not capable of. NCAA FBS football is a big time stage and if that level of performance is not met they deserve to hear the opinions of the people who are paying for that compensation, whether that is the University, ticket purchasers, or those who watch them on television. Dealing with the expectations of the public is part of the task a player is being compensated for. If players can't handle the heat, they should get out of the kitchen. God forbid we should hurt their feelings on game day.

I'm sorry bud, but you just don't get it. I don't criticize people on here much because it is an open forum, but I have yet to agree with anything you have said on this board. I'm not sure if you do it on purpose or not, you seem like a gopher fan, but I have yet to read anything from you that resembles a rational thought....

So these kids don't have NFL aspirations? Colt McCoy and Tebow get booed on a regular basis? What is not rational about either of these statements?

So these kids don't have NFL aspirations? Colt McCoy and Tebow get booed on a regular basis? What is not rational about either of these statements?

Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow make bad plays all the time brah, yet they never get booed. Excellent programs have down years all the time, yet they do not get booed. You can try and justify it all you want to but the fact is you go to a football school and you are not going to hear the fans boo their own team the way gopher fans do. So youre saying by booing them when they aren't playing well we are actually helping them to prepare for an NFL career or something?!! We are preparing them? Got it. ha ha Brewster needs to hire you!

Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow make bad plays all the time brah, yet they never get booed. Excellent programs have down years all the time, yet they do not get booed. You can try and justify it all you want to but the fact is you go to a football school and you are not going to hear the fans boo their own team the way gopher fans do. So youre saying by booing them when they aren't playing well we are actually helping them to prepare for an NFL career or something?!! We are preparing them? Got it. ha ha Brewster needs to hire you!

I heard Michigan fans booing a lot this season and last, I guess they aren't a football school anymore.

I think there are a few exaggerations on this thread. One of them is the oft mentioned bit about how lousy our fans are compared to seemingly all others. Not so. Open your ears guys. It's a sea of humanity and as groups we act human. Sometimes it's the only way fans have to voice displeasure in a way that coaches and administrators can't miss. Negative vibes in the stadium sends the message a lot more effectively than a few emails from die-hard fans. I think fans reserve a right to make a point and do so in venues around the world, pro and amateur.

Regarding players and sensibilities: They've heard it before, unless their entire high school / jc careers were idyllic. By the time they see a B10 field they've been screamed at, yelled at and jerked around by their face gear so that a few boos are hardly of primary concern when laying an egg.

Finally, some booing may be healthy for competitive athletes. If the image of walking off the field victorious or seeing one of your opponents doing so instead doesn't motivate you enough to perform next time around with a bit of a nasty streak (like gold to most coaches) then maybe hearing firsthand what your hometown fans think about tossing the football into the ground unforced, ten feet in front of an open receiver will. If none of the above works, if it only turns the athlete sulky and argumentative, then assistance in self-recognition has been performed. No more time wasted on fantasies about the NFL.

Finally, and this would be most approp

I've said it before, I'll say it again.
I've never been so ashamed to be a Gopher fan than when the team was booed off the field at halftime against MSU. Nate Tripplett's scowl at the home 50 yard line fans was something I will never forget. Absolutely sickening. I don't boo teams I support, if that's your style, then I just feel bad for you.

Sorry, forgot this point on my last post. They're not kids. They're adults able to sign legal contracts and serve in the military. The quicker we stop treating them like children the better they'll feel.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.
I've never been so ashamed to be a Gopher fan than when the team was booed off the field at halftime against MSU. Nate Tripplett's scowl at the home 50 yard line fans was something I will never forget. Absolutely sickening. I don't boo teams I support, if that's your style, then I just feel bad for you.

Save your pity for those who need a dose. What happened in the second half of the MSU game?

I think there's a middle ground. I personally rarely feel the need to boo at sporting events in general. HS kids and younger should never be booed, I hope most of us can agree on that. College sports is a gray area, especially major revenue sports at the Division I level. It is a quasi-professional league IMO. I don't think it's right to be individual players, especially for a physical error like dropping a pass. However, booing the team/coaches as a whole for a poor performance? I see nothing wrong with that. As noted above, perhaps getting booed by your own fans can be a motivator (it's not if they just boo all the time after every incomplete pass though). I also don't see a huge problem with booing a player for doing something that hurts the team like getting a stupid personal foul penalty. I don't know specifically what people were booing during the MSU game, but considering we had about 20 penalties, I can't blame them. These are all theoretically adults.

Save your pity for those who need a dose. What happened in the second half of the MSU game?

I think we battled MSU and won, there's still no reason to boo a team who's clearly whooped @#$ in the first half, they deserved to be cheered off the field by a raucous and happy TCF Bank Stadium.

This isn't Little League, they aren't middle schoolers.

50,000+ people don't show up just because some "kid" needs some support. They go because they want to see their university represented on the football field. Each week, thousands of people show up at football games, whether it's a couple thousand at a D-II football game, up to 100,000+ at some schools. Thousands of other "kids" have activities they do, yet few show up at their events. Are they so much more underserving of support?

When schools have down years, they do indeed boo, and boo heartily.

I don't boo the players, but people do get upset when players screw up. When a player drops the easiest touchdown pass that anyone will ever get, people are going to get upset. When a player throws a pick-6 that never should have been thrown, and does it again, people are going to be upset. Should they clap and say "good hustle", like you would do for a child at a tee-ball game?

When do they stop being kids? Is a senior still a kid, while a rookie in the NFL is no longer a kid?

I heard Michigan fans booing a lot this season and last, I guess they aren't a football school anymore.

Not to the extent that Gopher fans have booed this year. Can I prove it? no, neither can you. The point is WE shouldn't be doing it, not to the extent that we have at times this year. The Bank is the one field in the Big Ten where they shouldn't have to worry about that. Be a homer for gods sake and support your team through the good times and bad, that includes not booing when they screw up. If you have to don't say crap, is it that hard?

I was really dissapointed when many fans decided to boo as the team went into halftime with a lead against Michigan St. I don't like to yell at people in general, but had to yell at a few idiots next to me booing even when we had the lead and were playing pretty good. I know they were booing because we just took a knee, but it's like some people have no common sense.

Those of you who are fine with booing, let me ask you this. What does your booing accomplish? Do you think if you boo them they will play better?

Those of you who are fine with booing, let me ask you this. What does your booing accomplish? Do you think if you boo them they will play better?

I ah, booed Coach Mason a couple of times at the half when he had the team run out the clock when they were near mid-field. No it didn't accomplish anything and no I don't think it helped anybody coach better.

It's the only time I remember booing at a Gopher game. Now a Timberwolves game, yeah i've booed there a lot.

The only time I've booed at a Gopher game was the time in Mason's last season when after the game, the team went into the locker room but the coaches hung back quite a ways. I forget what game it was. As soon as the team was in the tunnel, the crowd booed the coaching staff with gusto. I think it might have been the NDSU game, but I really don't remember.

Maybe the best argument to make against booing would be this: How about the kids we were recruiting that made their official visits that weekend when we played MSU. Could the crowds vocal showing of displeasure have affected that recruits decision to play here? These kids are 17 or 18, still young. I would say absolutely. Would it be the main reason? Probably not, but I have no doubt it was a notch in the Cons' Column.

Booing the home team/players is for chumps. How many chumps do we have here?

Well, they did actually play much better in the Illinois game after we booed. And did they not come out and beat Sparty even after being booed off the field? It definitely didn't seem to hurt them. They started playing tougher both times. There's only so many mistakes people are willing to put up with and still have no outward reaction. It's not like we never gave the guys a chance to do something right before the booing started. We have been watching Weber make the same stupid mistakes for 3 years now. We watched terrible play calling all year. It's sickening, and a lot of people react to it by booing. I don't think it's a problem. Just because people are booing doesn't mean they don't support the team, or are not true Gopher fans. I don't want the crowd to boo after every single mistake, but you can't expect everyone in an emotionally charged crowd to just sit on their hands while the team plays well under potential, and with no fire. I do think sometimes booing lights a fire under the team (i.e the Illinois game) and as long as it isn't out of line or for no reason (it isn't either at the bank) then it's not a problem IMO

I think we battled MSU and won, there's still no reason to boo a team who's clearly whooped @#$ in the first half, they deserved to be cheered off the field by a raucous and happy TCF Bank Stadium.

Did it occur to you that Mr. Triplett's scowl as well as the chorus of boos may have had something to do with the officiating?

Not to the extent that Gopher fans have booed this year. Can I prove it? no, neither can you. The point is WE shouldn't be doing it, not to the extent that we have at times this year. The Bank is the one field in the Big Ten where they shouldn't have to worry about that. Be a homer for gods sake and support your team through the good times and bad, that includes not booing when they screw up. If you have to don't say crap, is it that hard?

But, see, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Notice the post from the guy who won't boo but who will go to extraordinary lengths to make sure people who do know they're not supposed to? So now it's "I don't believe you should boo at TCF and if you do I'll shut you up."?

But, see, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Notice the post from the guy who won't boo but who will go to extraordinary lengths to make sure people who do know they're not supposed to? So now it's "I don't believe you should boo at TCF and if you do I'll shut you up."?

I agree with you. When I'm at the game I'm not going to get into a verbal argument with someone who is booing, theres no point in it to be honest. But if by making my case in this forum I change one gopher fans mind that booing is unproductive and can potentially hurt the program I'm happy. I'm not going to strong arm anyone, I just want everyone to see it my way.:D

what do you think about a sign that says YOU SUCK with a spin wheel with player names so you can spin to the player's name who is sucking the worst at the time? I almost made one at halftime of the Illinois game, Weber was going to have 2 slots on the wheel.

Top Bottom