Why hasn't Kyle Whittingham's name been mentioned on this board???

frozengopher

Devious and Conniving Member
Reaction score
56-19 record at Utah. Won the Fiesta Bowl as co-head coach with Urban Meyer in 2004. Won a Sugar Bowl with his own guys in 2008 against a then undefeated Crimson Tide. 2008 AFCA coach of the year. Makes $1.2 million a year, which we can assuredly improve upon. He beat Michigan. He can coach. If Patterson and Peterson are so important to us in our coaching search, why not Willingham? We gotta go after this guy!!!

It obviously doesn't matter that he doesn't have recruiting ties to the Midwest because he's winning with average guys in the Great Salt Lake State and he has played against some great non-conference competition over his tenure. He was Meyer's protege and he certainly has proven his worth. Only problem are his ties to the area he coaches; he was born in Cali and played at BYU, so outside of money he has no reason to look towards the Big Ten, especially with Utah's entry to the PAC-12. Also rejected Tennessee post-Kiffin, but I was hoping that had more to do with the borderline demented obsession with football in the SEC.

This is exactly the guy we should have thrown the checkbook at after we fired Mason. I'm afraid we would be nothing but an afterthought at this point, but I'm surprised that I haven't seen anyone throw his name out there.

Probably because he is at a successful program that will be a member of the Pac10 next year. Most people would look at the current jobs and see that as taking a step down, not up.

If Utah wasn't making the move to the Pac-10/12, I could see him maybe leaving to come to a job like the U, but I don't see it happening with them making the move.

If Utah wasn't making the move to the Pac-10/12, I could see him maybe leaving to come to a job like the U, but I don't see it happening with them making the move.

plus he is a mormon from Utah

I know if I was a coach at a non-AQ school who has fought to be be a member of a BCS conference, I would want to stick around when that dream becomes reality.

He is a "Ute", you know one of those "Utes" referred to by Joe Pesci in the movie "My Cousin Vinny".

Top Bottom