Why hasn't Claeys been named the permanent new head coach????

Some Day...Is Coming!

Some Day...Maybe?
Reaction score
So what's everybody's guesses/thoughts?

This University, this state, and this athletic department, at the very least, owes that to Jerry Kill and this staff. It's almost insulting that they haven't named Claeys the new head coach.

If you're going to name him later, name him now. Anybody who knows anything about football says it's a no brainer. We need to fill Kaler's inbox. Listening to that Jim Carter interview was very interesting and insightful. Again, why the h e double hockey sticks don't they just name Claeys now???? Kill has to be just shaking his head right now. So all of you that are more insightful on this, please explain any rational reasons why they just haven't done that yet. Naming him right away shows confidence, show continuity within the department and University and sends a great message to everyone outside the program, most importantly, the recruits. I just don't see any positives or any gain in not naming Claeys. They should have named him the same day Coach Kill resigned. I used to be high on Kaler, but that's been dwindling with the Teague situation and now this.

Probably because the person who will be making the long-term decisions about this football program isn't here right now. They want to hire an AD first.

I'm all on board with removing the interim tag on Claeys.

You can't just make him permanent. You have to pretend, at least, to do a full search. This isn't working at DQ. This is a several million a year job. You make sure you have the right guy.

Obviously they are taking the posters suggestions here to heart, so they are giving full consideration to Kiffin, Bielema, Hoke and Sarkisian.

Like Claeys has said I don't think they "owe" him anything but I do think the staff has earned it.

Cowardly Bureaucrats

Probably because the person who will be making the long-term decisions about this football program isn't here right now. They want to hire an AD first.

I'm all on board with removing the interim tag on Claeys.

From the top down, nobody wants to make a decision that could make them look bad later. They will wait until the end of the season to see how the staff does. If they win a couple games the bureaucrats get to appoint Claeys to public acclamation.

Gee, I for the life of me don't understand the high level of enthusiasm for a continuation of an average coaching regime. There are better coaches out there who could be interested in the job and Claeys hasn't coached a game yet.

What are you going to do if the gophers finish 5-7?

This University, this state, and this athletic department, at the very least, owes that to Jerry Kill and this staff. It's almost insulting that they haven't named Claeys the new head coach.

If you're going to name him later, name him now. Anybody who knows anything about football says it's a no brainer. We need to fill Kaler's inbox. Listening to that Jim Carter interview was very interesting and insightful. Again, why the h e double hockey sticks don't they just name Claeys now???? Kill has to be just shaking his head right now. So all of you that are more insightful on this, please explain any rational reasons why they just haven't done that yet. Naming him right away shows confidence, show continuity within the department and University and sends a great message to everyone outside the program, most importantly, the recruits. I just don't see any positives or any gain in not naming Claeys. They should have named him the same day Coach Kill resigned. I used to be high on Kaler, but that's been dwindling with the Teague situation and now this.

I disagree. Claeys may be the right guy or he may not be. The University should look at all options before rushing into a hire. Putting an interim tag on Claeys is exactly what most universities would do in this situation. I do think they should hire the AD before the football coach. The football hire should be the AD's decision ultimately.

Because there are arcane procedural rules for hiring at the University?

Explain this "they owe" thing. A nice guy who was good at his job decided he could no longer perform his job due to medical reasons. He retired before his contract was up. His second in command has taken his place for now. Let's watch a couple games and see how this looks.

Gee, I for the life of me don't understand the high level of enthusiasm for a continuation of an average coaching regime. There are better coaches out there who could be interested in the job and Claeys hasn't coached a game yet.

Continue to cheer for the program like I always do. What are you going to do?

Bonus fun fact: Only once has a team coached by Lane "the greatest coach ever" Kiffin finished with a better record than the 8-5 mark "Country Jer" led the Gophers to last year.

Better coaches that might be interested? Bwahahaha! There is a slim chance that there is a better coach out there that is interested coaching now at a lesser school, the chance that we would pick the coach that actually is better out of the basket of ones that might be better isn't great, the chance that that coach would stay here if successful is slim. Claeys could have jumped ship to another bottom feeder Power 5 school last year if he wanted to. He stayed here knowing his turn was coming eventually, it's just a little early. I don't know how many of our top recruits we can get to sign on signing day if they don't make a commitment to Claeys by that point or indicate that they are in the process of doing so.

Put the shoe on the other foot. If we aren't committing to Claeys early and he starts putting out feelers to Indiana and Illinois, how are we going to feel when about the time we decide we want him, he's walking away.

You can't just make him permanent. You have to pretend, at least, to do a full search. This isn't working at DQ. This is a several million a year job. You make sure you have the right guy.

So what he's done the last 4 1/2 years, as a member of this very athletic department, isn't enough information to make a decision about him?

I think it's likely that Claeys will be the permanent head coach next year, but the U can't just appointment him, there has to be at least a formality of a coaching search.

I don't think the next AD will make the hire. After Teague, the U really can't afford to rush the AD hire, and the coach decision can't wait until the next AD us hired. Putting the coach decision in limbo for 2016 isn't likely.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I found this quote from our top ranked recruit pretty telling:

Coughlin, meanwhile, found optimism in the future.

“As long as the [current] coaching staff stays at Minnesota, I’m 100 percent staying at Minnesota,” he said. “[Claeys is] a genius and he’s been around Coach Kill as long as anybody. Personally, I want him to be my head coach for the next four years … Those guys have been around coach Kill. ... His morals and ethics that he teaches are going to stay with the Gopher program as long as that staff stays.

“In a way, I still would be playing for Coach Kill.”

This right here makes a pretty stellar case for why keeping the current staff makes a tone of sense.

Explain this "they owe" thing. A nice guy who was good at his job decided he could no longer perform his job due to medical reasons. He retired before his contract was up. His second in command has taken his place for now. Let's watch a couple games and see how this looks.

Because Kill said himself it has been this staff that has turned things around here, and because without Kill we wouldn't have broken ground on a $166 million dollar facilities project today. After the project is completed other people around the country won't have to refer to the University of Minnesota's athletic facilities as the worst in the Big Ten, as all the Big Ten Network analysts who visit every campus do every year. Also, because this staff has been together 20 plus years in some cases and 10+ years in most cases. That's why. Also, because Coach Kill covered for the sorry excuse of an Athletic Director that this University President hired. So in my opinion, yes, this University owes it to give this staff, who is the longest tenured in the country, a chance (beyond an interim status).

Because Kill said himself it has been this staff that has turned things around here, and because without Kill we wouldn't have broken ground on a $166 million dollar facilities project today. After the project is completed other people around the country won't have to refer to the University of Minnesota's athletic facilities as the worst in the Big Ten, as all the Big Ten Network analysts who visit every campus do every year. Also, because this staff has been together 20 plus years in some cases and 10+ years in most cases. That's why. Also, because Coach Kill covered for the sorry excuse of an Athletic Director that this University President hired. So in my opinion, yes, this University owes it to give this staff, who is the longest tenured in the country, a chance (beyond an interim status).

How quickly they forget. It was Mason who did the all the leg work on the stadium and most here were happy to drop him like dirty laundry. So why would anyone expect any more loyalty this time around?

Legally you have to do a full job search, heck every job opening at the U, the public has the opportunity apply, that includes us rubes applying for this position. I am sure they want to and will name Claeys, they just have to make it look legit.

Legally you have to do a full job search, heck every job opening at the U, the public has the opportunity apply, that includes us rubes applying for this position. I am sure they want to and will name Claeys, they just have to make it look legit.

Yes. I'm sure it's required by law that the job has to be posted. Then there are applicants, and you have to go through a hiring process, etc. Maybe at Northwestern or other private schools you can just appoint someone, but not at a public university.

Beyond that fact, you need the Due diligence and vetting of Claeys, especially in this post-Teague area. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt you look at a coordinator all that carefully as opposed to a head coach. Little could make the U look worse right now, but one of them would be if they hire Claeys in a rush only to discover he has a skeleton in his closet.

I found this quote from our top ranked recruit pretty telling:

Coughlin, meanwhile, found optimism in the future.

“As long as the [current] coaching staff stays at Minnesota, I’m 100 percent staying at Minnesota,” he said. “[Claeys is] a genius and he’s been around Coach Kill as long as anybody. Personally, I want him to be my head coach for the next four years … Those guys have been around coach Kill. ... His morals and ethics that he teaches are going to stay with the Gopher program as long as that staff stays.

“In a way, I still would be playing for Coach Kill.”

This right here makes a pretty stellar case for why keeping the current staff makes a tone of sense.

Damn, I like this kid.

We say it's brick by brick and our staff has much to do with it. Why tear Down what we have and start over?

I guess I would just like to hear more support from President Kaler and even Goetz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How quickly they forget. It was Mason who did the all the leg work on the stadium and most here were happy to drop him like dirty laundry. So why would anyone expect any more loyalty this time around?

All Mason had to do was not give up a 31 point lead halfway through the 3rd quarter and he wouldn't have been dropped like dirty laundry.

Top Bottom