Why Fickell chose Wisconsin over other Big10 opportunities

Yeah get a lotta wins when you reside in the s pile Big Ten West.

An interesting article today in The Athletic about how Fickell and his coaches have approached greeting and wooing recruits that are showing up for "Junior Day" visits.
They are much more energetic and enthusiastic about selling the whole package of the program, the university, and Madison than Chryst ever was.
One reason Fickell chose WI was that he saw it as an easier sell than he had at Cincinnati.
I grew up on the KY side of Cincinnati and even though it is an ok city, the U of Cincinnati is a decent school with a decent campus none of the above compare to Madison.
The interviews with the recruits after their visits illustrate how impressed they were.

The interviews with the recruits after their visits illustrate how impressed they were.
Cool story.....as a side note have you ever heard recruits make comments about a visit and not say they were impressed....anywhere? It is extremely rare for a recruit to say anything bad about a school after a visit.

I have little doubt Fickell is more high energy than Chryst was. Chryst struck me as a very low key individual.

Last edited:

People may want to make the comparison but the ONLY thing they have in common is that they are new coaches at a rival school.
Correct. Fickell is not an alum. He coached as his school longer (6 Years) and made the CFB playoff with his team. He also coached tOSU for a whole year. Frost has 2 seasons of HC experience.

Has anyone noticed that Fickell looks like Rob Riggle? Makes me hate the badgers even more.

Has anyone really ever watched Fickell coach a game? I have watched a grand total of 3 Cincinnati games in my life. And, in all three games, Fickell made some real head-scratching, game-changing decisions that hurt his team. They basically had Georgia beat in the 2021 Peach Bowl and late game clock management and play-calling were quite questionable, allowing a Georgia comeback win. Some other weird decisions in the other games, too. Don't know if that's the norm, but that's what I saw in my limited experience watching games he coached in. Maybe he was Knute Rockne in all the other games he coached in, I don't know.

He comes from a program that had a Top 2 budget in its conference in the middle of one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country. He had some advantages over most of his AAC brothers. Wisconsin also has a nice budget and a nice place to recruit to, but it isn't Top 2 in the conference as he had in Cincy.

Let's wait and see how it goes in Madison before we put him in the College Football Hall of Fame.

I am definitely not predicting failure, but I am not so quick to think he'll dominate the Big Ten for years and years to come.

Last edited:

If I put Laker and Plato on ignore, will this thread disappear?

I doubt it. Instead of that, let's use their own threads to try a little 'reverse-trolling' on 'em...

Why did Fickell choose Wisconsin?

The real, correct answer is: Minnesota didn't want him.

Top Bottom