Why don't we show up it he first half?

I put a lot of the blame on Limegrover and his play calling. It is well known fact we run the ball. Iowa is not sjsu and our o line were not going to be able to push Iowa's d-line around. So what do we do, we waste play after play running against Iowa. Never mind the fact that we were completing passes, let's continue to run. If we had a offensive coordinator with an imagination, we would have had a fighting chance. Limegrover is a horrible offensive coordinator and is not worthy of being in the big 10.

This exactly! But ultimately even that comes down to Kill. This play calling is so predictable it's embarrassing. You could make big money betting on run, run, pass (only because we're at 3rd an 8 to go) and punt. Four and out. Any team who has seen a Gopher film knows we're going to run, and yet they continue to try to run over a guard.

Couldn't disagree with you more. We had just as much talent as they did.
No offense but are you out of your mind? switch the coaching staffs, fans, and stadium and Iowa would win 8 out of 10 times with current personnel. Their d line and linebackers are a couple of notches better than the Gophers. Almost as good as MSU at those positions.

We scored 7 points in the second half. I would argue we didn't show up at all.

I think 8 times in the 2nd half was still too many, considering we were down 3 possessions every time we had the ball. I agree that it's not entirely the coaching staff's fault, but there is no way you can look at that loss and say that we came in prepared to play.

I don't think the Gophers came ready to play in any game except, possibly, the SJSU game. I don't think the coaching staff is doing a very good job setting up the players to succeed in terms of playcalling. They're calling simplistic 9th-grade level plays in D-1 level football. Open it up and, if the team is going to lose, at least have some frigging fun.

A couple of observations, and I've said these before......Kill's staff is excellent (and I mean excellent) at making halftime adjustments. The results
will always vary, but 2nd half adjustments have been their strong suit since Day 1. That said.....

It looks too often as though they have little or no game plan going into the game. Now, I know they break down film, and I know they work at it.
However, too often our team looks as though we come into a game having scouted the wrong team. Most of the time, I'm hoping that the score
doesn't get too far out of hand before halftime, because I know what happens in the first half will be corrected, for the most part. That's a brutal
way to watch the 2nd quarter of a football game. Brutal.

I do believe the Gophers simply came out flat Saturday- very flat. It happens, for some reason. However, the consistency of this begs a review of the
Kill staff's procedures in the last 48 hours before game time. What are they consistently doing that requires attention? Is it in the walk-through....the
warm-up.....the nutrition......the rest? Something isn't adding up, here.

Not to just pick on Kill. Mason was just the opposite, and Mason was a coach I had great respect for. Mason's teams played lights-out
in the first half. It was often the OTHER team that looked like they hadn't scouted the Gophers. However, his staff was decidedly below
normal in halftime adjustments, mostly because they never anticipated what adjustments the opposition would make (ie,....just keep
doing what you're doing, boys, because its working so far).

I'd rather a staff be competent at both....not needing to be exceptional at either, but competent. And, free your players to simply
play. They seemed tight....maybe a bit "over-coached"?

Top Bottom