Why Doesn't Tubby Recruit Shooters?

Very few players are like that out of HS.

Very few players are like that out of HS.

What's your point? This thread is about shooters. There is one a couple hours down the river in Matt Thomas of Onalaska. I believe Tubby is recruiting him, though right now I think he's an Iowa State lean.

What's your point? This thread is about shooters. There is one a couple hours down the river in Matt Thomas of Onalaska. I believe Tubby is recruiting him, though right now I think he's an Iowa State lean.
My point is if very few people are like that out of HS, even less of them coming out HS will fit any of Tubby's other wants for a recruit.

The 2010 kid that went to Arizona State.. Chanse Creekmur... is another guy Minnesota pursued who can't do much other than shoot the three.

NDSU's mike felt (from redwood falls) kid is an incredible 3 point shooting, something like 52% this year. (48% overall) was 5-8 tonight vs Green bay to improve to 4-0. I'd love to see this kid on tubby's team!

NDSU's mike felt (from redwood falls) kid is an incredible 3 point shooting, something like 52% this year. (48% overall) was 5-8 tonight vs Green bay to improve to 4-0. I'd love to see this kid on tubby's team!

...and that's the second time you nave mentioned that NDSU is 4-0. We get it, the Bison are unbeaten. What the heck happened against msu Moorhead? Why did they lose? Also, just because Felt can shoot for NDSU does not automatically mean he would see minutes for Tubby. He might, depending on how good of an athlete/defender he is, but not guaranteed. The Bison do not play basketball at the same level as the Gophers. Football, yes (for now). But not basketball.

Tubby recruited Ben Brust very hard and we almost had him until he signed with Wisconsin. In his first two games this year (now a sophomore) Brust is 8-16 from three-point land and appears next in line as a UW guard that we can't believe torches us despite our size and athleticism advantage:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51313/ben-brust

Go Gophers!!
I had to stop watching their game against Colgate last night because I was getting depressed at seeing Brust and Taylor shoot from beyond the arc. Wisconsin is 25-48 on three's in their two games.

I have seen lots of high school players with decent 3pt shooting percentages. That doesn't mean they are dead eye shooters. Sometimes they are so athletic that teams must give them a ton of space so they dont get layups. Other times its big guys comming out and sometimes they are just given the shot. Granted I'd prefer someone who has a nice percentage in high school over one who doesn't, but it doesn't mean it will transfer to a big ten game with its pressure defense and crowd noise making them much tougher.

I'm sorry, when I think shooter, I think Blake. Someone who other teams yell "shooter" for whenever he touches the ball. Ellenson is not that person. Buggs is not either. I'm not saying I don't like them - I think Wally will be solid, and Buggs has some upside (Damien Johnson seems like a good comparison), but they aren't shooters.

I actually get what you're saying. And I agree, as far as just getting stud shooters who will strike fear when an opponent sees them get loose for that open three, we don't have that, no. Tubby's gone after a few of those types, but it's definitely not the A priority he's looking for in a kid.

But I still don't think in the future, we'll be too worried about shooting, as we have plenty of guys who are capable of growing into solid contributors beyond the arc. Of course, they have to grow into that, and it's possible many of them don't, but the potential is there, as they've shown it previously. Maybe not Blake levels, but "keep defenses honest" level.

Tubby recruited Ben Brust very hard and we almost had him until he signed with Wisconsin. In his first two games this year (now a sophomore) Brust is 8-16 from three-point land and appears next in line as a UW guard that we can't believe torches us despite our size and athleticism advantage:

Go Gophers!!

Brust is very athletic though, he has decent quickness and is physically very strong. He isn't just a shooter.

Buggs looks like he will be a good shooter for his position like others have mentioned. He looks to be a better shooter than either Williams or somebody like Mbwake comming out of high school.

the fact that the bison and gophs are on the same level on the gridiron is more of an insult to the U then it is a compliment to the Bison, while the Bison are a great FCS program, the gophers are in the big ten and shouldn't be 1/3 against them. Hoops though I imagine the gophers will win by about 15-20 points like they always do. I think one year the game should be in Fargo, play it in the Fargo Dome you can put 15,000 in that building.

Buggs is a very good shooter. As some have mentioned, there can be an adjustment in college. but he has 3 point range, a nice mid srange stroke, and good touch.

the fact that the bison and gophs are on the same level on the gridiron is more of an insult to the U then it is a compliment to the Bison, while the Bison are a great FCS program, the gophers are in the big ten and shouldn't be 1/3 against them. Hoops though I imagine the gophers will win by about 15-20 points like they always do. I think one year the game should be in Fargo, play it in the Fargo Dome you can put 15,000 in that building.
Um... what?

Go Gophers!!

Last time I checked, it's about putting the ball in the basket. I'll take a shooter any day, even if they can't jump out of the gym like a certain starting small forward who can't make a jump shot to save his life. As far as favoring defense, it reminds me of something Alan Page once said back in the early '70's, when the Vikings didn't score many points: "If the offense can just hold them, we'll win the game." You have to be able to score.

What really depressed me was when Monson passed up deadly shooters. Steve Sir would have played here in a heartbeat, but old Dan sent him packing to ASU where he set NCAA records for 3-point shooting. When Monson was hired I thought he'd recruit a bunch of dead-eyes like he had at Gonzaga, and we'd be on our way. We do grow a lot of great shooters around here; it's simply a matter of identifying the ones with a reasonably well-rounded game (e.g. Wolters).

Steve Sir went to San Diego St. and then transferred to Northern Arizona. Big difference between NAU and ASU.

Steve Sir went to San Diego St. and then transferred to Northern Arizona. Big difference between NAU and ASU.

Holy Man set me straight about that at the game last night. I'll stand by my assertion that there's a place for someone like that on a high D1 squad. A player can become a decent defender with coaching and work. If Jon Bryant could do it, Steve Sir could too.

Holy Man set me straight about that at the game last night. I'll stand by my assertion that there's a place for someone like that on a high D1 squad. A player can become a decent defender with coaching and work. If Jon Bryant could do it, Steve Sir could too.

Just like Steve Esselink. Oh wait....

BleedGopher said:
I think that was my exact text to JohnnyGopher tonight when he sent me Brust's 3-point numbers.

Go Gophers!!

At least he isn't from Minnesota.

Didn't Tubby refuse to recruit Brust until his situation with Iowa was cleared up? Bo Ryan had no such problem. Not meant to be a shot at either coach, just that maybe Tubby could be a little more cutthroat at times.

Didn't Tubby refuse to recruit Brust until his situation with Iowa was cleared up? Bo Ryan had no such problem. Not meant to be a shot at either coach, just that maybe Tubby could be a little more cutthroat at times.
No more Minnesota Nice!

Top Bottom