Why does Minnesota not have a Bowl Game?

And It’s a joke they play it in a soccer stadium in the suburbs that seats 20,000. That makes FCS look like D3.
You can only play it at places that actually put in a bid because they want to host it ...

And It’s a joke they play it in a soccer stadium in the suburbs that seats 20,000. That makes FCS look like D3.
If you've never been Frisco for this game I can see how one might make this assumption. But if you have, you'd know what a riot the atmosphere is and that it is an excellent setting for a football game. I'm not sure why it matters that its in a soccer stadium or in the suburbs. The stadium is 30 minutes from down town and both airports. There's plenty to do for folks that don't want to go to the "official" party headquarters for their teams. The bowl configuration is nearly identical to SDSU's football stadium and the only indication that it's an MLS stadium is the minimal team branding (which I couldn't even tell you the name of, its so un-intrusive into the experience) and there is sign for the Soccer HOF. The concessions are a heck of a lot more varied and interesting than at Huntington Bank Stadium, are run efficiently and have big league pricing to boot. There's a ton of green space around the stadium for tailgating and it seems like everyone going to the game is there early partaking in the fun. At the FCS level, there are very few teams that can draw anywhere near 20,000 fans to a home game. It wouldn't make sense to site this game in an NFL stadium or P5 stadium. Sure, if any combination of xDSUs or Montana schools are playing, they could easily sell 5,000 more tickets but even 25,000 people in a big stadium is a bad, empty look. If by some stroke of bad luck neither of these teams are in the final game, you're looking at empty seats, even in a 20,000 seat stadium (I think the stadium now only seats about 17,000 but they sell a couple thousand SRO tickets). I get it, it's no Quick Lane Bowl. But I think for fans who've been there, the consensus is that it's a great setup and a great atmosphere.

If you've never been Frisco for this game I can see how one might make this assumption. But if you have, you'd know what a riot the atmosphere is and that it is an excellent setting for a football game. I'm not sure why it matters that its in a soccer stadium or in the suburbs. The stadium is 30 minutes from down town and both airports. There's plenty to do for folks that don't want to go to the "official" party headquarters for their teams. The bowl configuration is nearly identical to SDSU's football stadium and the only indication that it's an MLS stadium is the minimal team branding (which I couldn't even tell you the name of, its so un-intrusive into the experience) and there is sign for the Soccer HOF. The concessions are a heck of a lot more varied and interesting than at Huntington Bank Stadium, are run efficiently and have big league pricing to boot. There's a ton of green space around the stadium for tailgating and it seems like everyone going to the game is there early partaking in the fun. At the FCS level, there are very few teams that can draw anywhere near 20,000 fans to a home game. It wouldn't make sense to site this game in an NFL stadium or P5 stadium. Sure, if any combination of xDSUs or Montana schools are playing, they could easily sell 5,000 more tickets but even 25,000 people in a big stadium is a bad, empty look. If by some stroke of bad luck neither of these teams are in the final game, you're looking at empty seats, even in a 20,000 seat stadium (I think the stadium now only seats about 17,000 but they sell a couple thousand SRO tickets). I get it, it's no Quick Lane Bowl. But I think for fans who've been there, the consensus is that it's a great setup and a great atmosphere.
Hey whatever works. I'm not someone that could ever get into FCS football, so it's hard for me to say what would work or wouldn't work for them. Clearly their fans have fun with it. It's just not for me.

I'm into college hockey though and I'm sure there are plenty of NHL people that don't understand why someone would be so into that...so to each their own.

the market for bowl games will exist so long as there is a sponsor for naming rights and ESPN is will to broadcast it. for god's sake, there are bowls sponsored by entities that nobody has ever heard of, yet they put their name on it. when we have a bowl without a sponsor or not televised, then you can make a case there are too many. MN doesn't have one yet because there are no creative city leaders willing to pitch the idea and get the sponsors lined up. General Mills Cereal Bowl seems lke a match made in heaven. if we can have the Idaho Potato bowl, then a MN bowl should happen at some point.
There's a market for bowl games, even featuring bad teams but nobody thinks there would be an additional game here. Essentially, MSP would have to poach an existing bowl.

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape over the number of bowl games. Don't watch if you don't want. Each MLB team plays 162 games before never ending playoffs. NBA plays 82 games and players routinely sit out. NHL plays 82 games and plays most of the year before never ending playoffs. There are irrelevant games all across the sports world. So what if 82 fanbases get to see there favorite college FB team play one more meaningless game? Everyone is doing it.

With recent changes in MN laws, we should host the Smoke A Bowl. The concession sales in the 2nd half alone would cover the sponsorship fees.
its only a matter of time that someething like this becomes reality. However this would have to be based in Northern CA/Humbolt County over here. I'm surprised ath we haven't yet gotten the official Toilet Bowl.

Why?

I said “neutral site” game. I mean one of the five annual regular season games played on the road.

I’d much rather see the Gophers play a notable non conference opponent in U.S. Bank Stadium than a neutral site in Dallas or Atlanta.
if UMN would ever play NDSU again, they should play it at US Bank Stadium. heck, we now have 2x FCS Champ SDSU in ou backyard too. $$$$ opportunity if someone makes it happen

I agree it’s better to try to get a rotating game like the FCS championship and B1G championship games, and/or a CFP game under the new 12 team playoff. A cold city bowl game is going to be third tier no matter what, and will not be a huge draw or showcase for the Cities.

Can you imagine flight delays, lack of stuff to do in the lead up, tailgating, etc.

I love the Gophers. But, I will never live in freezing ass cold liberal shit hole Minnesota again.

I was born in MN. I went to college in MN. I LOVE my Gophers.

I could never live there again. Fuck the liberals .

You don't have to live right in the urban core.

Some of the suburbs are quite conservative and I think you'd find suitable.

But, but, but the "lack of police anywhere in the city!!1!"8

Besides, everyone knows Conde Nast is just another liberal rag
xyz

Last edited:

Can you imagine flight delays, lack of stuff to do in the lead up, tailgating, etc.

I love the Gophers. But, I will never live in freezing ass cold liberal shit hole Minnesota again.
You trying to rile up the natives? That’s some nasty mouth you are running today. Didn’t your mama raise a gentleman?

Thought that perhaps a little update on worst airports for weather delays would be appropriate here, especially since someone is using a Fox service as some sort of authority. I see Dallas Fort Worth made the bottom 10 list and Minneapolis did not make the list.

I think texan gopher's got his boxers riding up again.

Top Bottom