Why does Minnesota not have a Bowl Game?

I feel like if Chicago gets a climate-controlled football stadium, the Big Ten football championship is there, and only there.
Definitely a possibility.

I'm inclined to think with the way Indy handles the Big 10 Hoops Tournament, the set-up with the convention center connected to the stadium, and so many hotels within walking distance, they will at least get thrown a bone with periodic games.

Definitely a possibility.

I'm inclined to think with the way Indy handles the Big 10 Hoops Tournament, the set-up with the convention center connected to the stadium, and so many hotels within walking distance, they will at least get thrown a bone with periodic games.
B1G said they would change it up now and then but ... they haven't.

Might be hard to dislodge Indy ....

Not sure some outside Chicago stadium will fit the bill the same.

Might be hard to dislodge Indy ....

Not sure some outside Chicago stadium will fit the bill the same.
Fair. I just think they like having the coast-to-coast presence with "home base" right in the middle. But who knows? They could be playing on the moon before the expansion of the conference ceases.

It’s not just the sponsorship. It costs a lot more. Anyone here that has Fiesta Bowl season tickets has to buy a Guaranteed Rate ST. Also, many of the Diamondback ST holders are also required to buy Guaranteed Rate tickets.

Ya think Viking ST holders are willing? Color me skeptical as well. Auggies are that way.
I think the same is true with Lions ST holders and the Quick Lane bowl, or so it seemed.

I think they've genuinely been open to bids.

But no one has been able to provide a better bid than Indy. Maybe the city, county, and/or state are subsidizing the bid, knowing the advertising and travelers it brings in? Reputation? Ego? Just wondering aloud

The US Bank Stadium is a big selling point. Like someone said, it's about the best there is.

Also, The Armory, basically across the street, is a great space for entertainment the night before the bowl game or gameday. The nice outdoor plaza probably doesn't work in late fall or winter.

Yea, moving an established bowl here seems the easiest. If moving locations doesn't matter for that brand.

I'm guessing there's some NCAA rule that would forbid this, but wouldn't it be cool to invite the previous year's national champion and runnerup to play a bowl game in August in Minnesota? "Every once in a while you just gotta say Whisky, Tango, Fox"

I think you're imagining some trade off that doesn't happen.

Is there a neutral site that wants to see us play Fresno?

That's not what neutral site games are....
I said AT Fresno. I never suggested a neutral site game with Fresno. I think you are missing my point. A neutral site game at U.S. Bank Stadium would be better than an away game. Unless I am mistaken, it seems you are arguing the opposite. You would prefer no neutral site game which by definition would mean it would remain an away game.

I'm guessing there's some NCAA rule that would forbid this, but wouldn't it be cool to invite the previous year's national champion and runnerup to play a bowl game in August in Minnesota? "Every once in a while you just gotta say Whisky, Tango, Fox"
There are "Kick-off" games at neutral sites, usually between two P5 programs. Or at last there have been in recent history. But that's the first regular season game for both teams. Not sure if you're picturing some kind of exhibition contest that doesn't count in the standings?

There are "Kick-off" games at neutral sites, usually between two P5 programs. Or at last there have been in recent history. But that's the first regular season game for both teams. Not sure if you're picturing some kind of exhibition contest that doesn't count in the standings?
A regular kick off game every year in MN sounds good. First game of the college football season. A way to re-establish MN as a college football state.

I said AT Fresno. I never suggested a neutral site game with Fresno. I think you are missing my point. A neutral site game at U.S. Bank Stadium would be better than an away game. Unless I am mistaken, it seems you are arguing the opposite. You would prefer no neutral site game which by definition would mean it would remain an away game.

Which away game are you proposing fills this neutral site? It can’t be a conference game because our conference opponent wouldn’t want to lose a home game.

And no team would believe Minneapolis to be neutral site. So you’re not drawing a P5 team for it most likely. And if it’s a non-P5 team why not just play it at Huntington?

Who wants to host a Freso and Gopher game?

Why?

And "neutral site" here?

This is some weird late stage Sid thinking ...

Which away game are you proposing fills this neutral site? It can’t be a conference game because our conference opponent wouldn’t want to lose a home game.

And no team would believe Minneapolis to be neutral site. So you’re not drawing a P5 team for it most likely. And if it’s a non-P5 team why not just play it at Huntington?
I think Iowa St could sell half the tickets for a game against the Gophers at the Zygi Dome.

Crazy brainstorming...

Can they schedule this event: an early season "tournament" or "showdown" with six teams, three games, playing each other on a mid-September Saturday at US Bank Stadium in October. 11:30 AM, 3:30 PM, and 7:30 PM.

Minnesota vs North Carolina
Iowa State vs Clemson
Auburn vs UCLA

Except this could never work. All these schools have TV contracts for hosting games or road games. Would these all be road games for these teams?

Could a day of games where six teams and media carve up the money equal each of these teams simply playing a regular game at home or on the road?

Neutral site games then appear unlikely.

I think we are back to bowl games then. Not realistic to think about regular season neutral sites. But maybe not... What do you think?

Crazy brainstorming...

Can they schedule this event: an early season "tournament" or "showdown" with six teams, three games, playing each other on a mid-September Saturday at US Bank Stadium in October. 11:30 AM, 3:30 PM, and 7:30 PM.

Minnesota vs North Carolina
Iowa State vs Clemson
Auburn vs UCLA

Except this could never work. All these schools have TV contracts for hosting games or road games. Would these all be road games for these teams?

Could a day of games where six teams and media carve up the money equal each of these teams simply playing a regular game at home or on the road?

Neutral site games then appear unlikely.

I think we are back to bowl games then. Not realistic to think about regular season neutral sites. But maybe not... What do you think?
How about a Dakota Bowl? UND plays either USD SDSU & NDSU plays the other South Dakota team rotating yearly where it's North Dakota vs. South Dakota leaving in-state rivalry games intact. Games would play on that Saturday when the NFL has their off week before the start of the regular season. When NDSU in 2023 played Eastern Washington. Doubleheader @ the Bank.

If the main U of M campus was located in Duluth, it would be cool to have the annual Gopher/Badger game at US Bank stadium. Similar to the Texas/Oklahoma game in Dallas.
That would be awful.

College games at neutral site sterile NFL stadiums suck the big one

If the main U of M campus was located in Duluth, it would be cool to have the annual Gopher/Badger game at US Bank stadium. Similar to the Texas/Oklahoma game in Dallas.
I think it would be cool to have the Senior Day game (and keep it the Badgers) at US Bank--for the sake of the parents and fans--every year. Make it a tradition.

Better off putting in a bid to host the FCS championship every year.

Better off putting in a bid to host the FCS championship every year.
And It’s a joke they play it in a soccer stadium in the suburbs that seats 20,000. That makes FCS look like D3.

Forget a bowl game. How about US Bank hosting the Big10 Championship game on a regular basis?
One of the things I think the PAC 12 did right was holding Championship games in Las Vegas. It's a great place for sporting events and a great draw for fans. Nothing like watching March Madness in Vegas, great weather, great sports bars.

Top Bottom