Why does Brewster keep making stuff up?

"Who gave a rat's behind what degrees he had?

Notre Dame did howeda and that's all that matters.

I don't think Notre Dame cared what his degree was in, I think they just wanted him to have a degree (from an actual school), and not a fake Masters from the fictional "NYU-Stony Brook". He also lied about playing football in college.

The Cookie Monster says that cookies are a sometimes food.

Dean Smith

Are we really gonna pretend that Sid's quote is accurate?

Not to defend Brewster, but for all Sid knows Dean Smith is still coaching at North Carolina.

Dean's gone, when did he get fired? He probably twitted something about Reusse.

C is for cookie........ and that is good enough for me!

(dots for emphasis)

Living in NC & hating the heels I can tell u that Smith rteired but kept his office. While Guthridge was the coach it is not an exaggeration to say that Peppers played for Dean Smith.

Great spin Dookie!

It could be that he's referencing Dean Smith because he wants to get a public message to Seantrel. Best big man athlete in the state, could have gone anywhere, stayed home to play for a legendary basketball coach. Paints a pretty picture for Seantrel to stay home if you ask me.

Slightly off-topic...do we know Seantrel would get a spot with Tubby's team? From what I've heard, he's very-good, not-great at basketball. I'm guessing the answer is yes, but does someone who knows better than me think it's a given he'd be allowed to play basketball here?

What an unbelievably petty topic. Get after the coach for claiming he didn't want any "fat guys" on his offensive line and then 2 years later trotted out this years group or get after him for 55-0, but not remembering which years he beat Iowa or who coached UNC basketbal while Peppers was there? Really? If that stuff actually bothers you, then you'd be better off not being a fan of Gopher football until Brewster either retires, is fired, or leaves on his own accord.

What an unbelievably petty topic. Get after the coach for claiming he didn't want any "fat guys" on his offensive line and then 2 years later trotted out this years group or get after him for 55-0, but not remembering which years he beat Iowa or who coached UNC basketbal while Peppers was there? Really? If that stuff actually bothers you, then you'd be better off not being a fan of Gopher football until Brewster either retires, is fired, or leaves on his own accord.

Agreed. I think you can tell Souhan (and Reusse) have a serious ax to grind against Brewster and it's personal. I do not hold any of those quotes against Brewster - this stuff is pretty petty.

yawn......

anything besides more brewster-hater b.s. in this lame thread? don't really care to read it. thanks! :)

First it was the Illinois "win" at Iowa.

And now this from Sid's column in the Star Tribune today:

Talking about Julius Peppers: " 'He was one of the great high school football players and one of the great high school athletes ever in North Carolina,' Brewster said. 'He started for a Dean Smith-coached basketball team. And also started in football. That just doesn't happen. He's truly an amazing athlete.'

Brewster said football was Peppers' best sport, but when you can start for a Hall-of-Fame coach such as Smith, you have to be a pretty good basketball player."

A few small problems, Dean Smith retired after the 1996-97 season. Peppers didn't enroll into North Carolina until Fall of 1998. Yes, he played basketball for two years (1999-2001), BUT it was for coach Bill Guthridge.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the Brewster did NOT major in history.

Get a life you clown.

Oh, geez, the board pixies are at it again. It's my experience that many accomplished athletes and coaches have hazy memories when it comes to dates, places, scores and the like. Perhaps they were too busy preparing and performing. Seems such things are more important to folks who have time to sit and watch, not to mention gossip.

For gosh sake, earlier this week I heard a fellow television character, the one and only Doug Heffernan, discuss the hazardous Himalayan weather by testifying that when he was on Everest's summit it was so cold they had closed all the schools.

For gosh sake, earlier this week I heard a fellow television character, the one and only Doug Heffernan, discuss the hazardous Himalayan weather by testifying that when he was on Everest's summit it was so cold they had closed all the schools.

When they make Brew's bio-pic "Tremendous-The story of Tim Brewster and the 2011 National Champion Minnesota Golden Gophers" I nominate Kevin James to play Brew. He would need to drop a few pounds, but is otherwise a match :cool02:

When they make Brew's bio-pic "Tremendous-The story of Tim Brewster and the 2011 National Champion Minnesota Golden Gophers" I nominate Kevin James to play Brew. He would need to drop a few pounds, but is otherwise a match :cool02:

:clap: Well played and gave me a good laugh. Thanks.

The point is Brewster's lack of intelligence. Listen to his pre-game speeches, they are a joke. Knute is spinning in his grave listening to that tripe. When Sid asks him a question like, "How many freshman played in your first game?" he'll give a vague reply like, "Really, Sid, quite a few played." Then the slip ups re the Iowa game and the Dean Smith quote. The guy is a mental midget who can sling bull with high school kids but he's lost on the sidelines. Why do you think he never became a coordinator? Because he doesn't have much gray between the ears.

He majored in talking out his ass.

We need a coach who can coach. Not some clown who road Brown's coattails for a few solid recruits.

OK, I have no life, but this interested me

FWIW - I recall seeing that he majored in Political Science at Illinois. That's a pretty heady major for a college football major (unlike "communications" or "kinesiology" which seem to me as the most frequent player major).

I have checked the Gopher player profiles and the number (approx) of majors are below.

Undecided or unreported, n=35; this is not uncommon, especially for the younger guys. Like these students I was undecided until a 2nd semester sophmore).

Some type of business (econ, business education, finance, etc), n=21

Communications (including journalism) n=13 (U'u is a communications and pol sci major)

Engineering, n=5, counting Triplett's construction mgt major (possibly considered to be a business major)

Sociology n=3

Kinesiology n=1

math n=1 (McGhee plans to major in)

Info Tech n=3

youth studies n=2

Biology n =2

Fish and wildlife n=1

Liberal arts n=2

criminal justice n=1

So it appears that communications and business are the most prevalent majors. At least for the Gophers kinesiology is not a common major.

brewsters famed recruiting class at Texas all lived within 2 hours of austin and committed as juniors for the most part. one of the stooges could have recruited that class, oh wait - one of them did..............

The point is Brewster's lack of intelligence. Listen to his pre-game speeches, they are a joke. Knute is spinning in his grave listening to that tripe. When Sid asks him a question like, "How many freshman played in your first game?" he'll give a vague reply like, "Really, Sid, quite a few played." Then the slip ups re the Iowa game and the Dean Smith quote. The guy is a mental midget who can sling bull with high school kids but he's lost on the sidelines. Why do you think he never became a coordinator? Because he doesn't have much gray between the ears.

I'm absolutely willing to consider this point of view. Could you please provide support other than your personal analysis? Like a statement or two from one of his previous bosses or fellow coaches indicating that what is likely just wild speculation is really more than that?

For the same reason most people make up stories. ... to make themselves look better/smarter. This is not a big deal, but it is an example of why Brew should just pipe down and concentrate on letting the results (for better or worse) do the talking. Speak in factual terms (especially if you're in the public eye), or someone is sure to call you on it. Generally speaking, most people want to see results, not hear words. Show me, don't tell me.

For the record, I think Brew deserves more time to show that his excess verbiage isn't all his just being a blow-hard. 3 years is not enough to judge this man.

It's ironic that the Gopherhole posters here who absolutely lambast fellow posters for not having their facts straight are the same Gopherhole posters who defend Brewster to the death when he's clearly talking out of his a$$.

It could have been so simple for Brew. He could have kept his quote to something like "Clearly Julius Peppers is a great athlete as he also played basketball for a perennial Top 25 team. It's pretty impressive for a guy to excel in two sports at the DI level." But no. It's not in his nature to do that, given his history of embellishment.

How is Brewster a "blow-hard" as some of you say he is if he has already delivered a lot of what he was hired to do? He has brought in more talent than any coach before him in a very small amount of time. He has elevated the status of the gopher program on a national level, The national media outlets have nothing but positive things to say about how Brewster is building this program. He has brought his team to 2 straight bowl games playing with mediocre talent he was left. The only thing he has not delivered is the Rose Bowl.

How is Brewster a "blow-hard" as some of you say he is if he has already delivered a lot of what he was hired to do? He has brought in more talent than any coach before him in a very small amount of time. He has elevated the status of the gopher program on a national level, The national media outlets have nothing but positive things to say about how Brewster is building this program. He has brought his team to 2 straight bowl games playing with mediocre talent he was left. The only thing he has not delivered is the Rose Bowl.
How do you figure? Mason was very well respected nationally, Brewster has done nothing to elevate the status of the program.

How do you figure? Mason was very well respected nationally, Brewster has done nothing to elevate the status of the program.

mason was well respeced. And I'm sure he's getting tired of turning down all those HC job offers.

If you think the status of this program hasn't been elevated then you're not paying attention.

Top Bottom