Why does Aaron Craft get so much face-time?

andy

Reaction score
The dude played 39 minutes and put up only 5 points, 4 boards, and 4 assists. Every timeout and going into every commercial break they showed him onscreen.

andy said:
The dude played 39 minutes and put up only 5 points, 4 boards, and 4 assists. Every timeout and going into every commercial break they showed him onscreen.

He plays lock down defense and is usually the smartest guy on the court.

Stats don't always tell the whole story. Craft is as true of a PG as you will find in the college game. Look at Rubio's Spain / Olympic numbers, never that impressive, but everyone wants him on their team.

Craft is a very good player and definitely worthy of accolades but IMO they featured him as a cliche. It is an easy story to fill the dead spots. Smart, tough, gym rat type - leads his team by example. He does it - you could see him yelling at Sullinger from the sidelines after Craft fouled out. But he is still young and makes a lot of mistakes. He made a super save on the ball going out of bounds and then totally lost his concentration resulting in a TO and two quick fouls. Then he had to play passive and this let Syracuse back in the game. The cliche is an easier story to tell.

Because he is good.

Oh yeah- and average size and white.

Winnipegopher said:
Because he is good.

Oh yeah- and average size and white.

Not sure how much (at all?) being white has to do with it? He is also about the same height/size as any other PG.

Jordan Taylor gets a lot of face time for Wisconsin. I think charisma has something to do with it. I would say both Craft and Taylor are chrismatic. Expect Dre to get the same treatment. Easier to have a face for the program. Either the star or the PG.

He plays lock down defense and is usually the smartest guy on the court.

Stats don't always tell the whole story. Craft is as true of a PG as you will find in the college game. Look at Rubio's Spain / Olympic numbers, never that impressive, but everyone wants him on their team.

This.

Craft is the best on ball defender in the Big Ten, and one of the best in the country. He's also a true sophomore and, if he continues to improve his shooting like he has over this season, I think he could be a 15 pt, 7 assist, 2 steals and a couple boards a game player next season, all while playing lock down defense.

He's a great, great player.

While I admire Craft's game quite a bit, particularly on the defensive end, it sounds like he is fulfilling the Gerry McNamara role for TV audiences-short, plucky white guard who contributes mightily for a national program. When McNamara was a freshman with Carmelo, I began admiring his game a lot; by the time he was a senior, I was quite tired of the McNamara focus every time Syracuse was on TV/discussed.

With his classmate Sullinger likely gone after the season, I'd get prepared for a heaping dose of Craft over the next two years.

Just watch his hands and feet on D. They are so active and seemingly always int he right spot. His offensive game is meh for now, but defensively he's already one of the best.

While I admire Craft's game quite a bit, particularly on the defensive end, it sounds like he is fulfilling the Gerry McNamara role for TV audiences-short, plucky white guard who contributes mightily for a national program. When McNamara was a freshman with Carmelo, I began admiring his game a lot; by the time he was a senior, I was quite tired of the McNamara focus every time Syracuse was on TV/discussed.

With his classmate Sullinger likely gone after the season, I'd get prepared for a heaping dose of Craft over the next two years.

+1. A more articulate version of what i was trying to say. I will also add that network American TV feels it needs to focusses incessantly on stories/personalities. It makes NBC's Olympics coverage unwatchable for sports fans.

I think part of why he gets talked about so much is he's the type of guy that analysts like to point out as being much more important to the team than you'd think based on the number of points he scores - he gives them something important to talk about. He is easy to focus on because he's the guy with the ball in his hands most of the time, and he's guarding the ball really well on the other end. But hey, nobody would be talking about him if the team was bounced early like Michigan - helps to be a winner.

Craft

The main reason they feature Craft is he destroys the best guard on the opposing team. He's pretty reliable, makes free throws in the clutch and runs the offense. He doesnt score much, hits timely shots and doesnt get tons of assists, because others may get them, but on defense he kills people. Syracuse fans were stunned by how he shut down their guards. If we play UNC, I hope Marshall does play, a one handed guard against Craft will get eaten up bigtime.

Because he's a frickin' stud. Anyone who doesn't appreciate or understand the value he brings to OSU when he's on the court has no clue. They are a completely different team when he's not on the court. The Buckeyes weren't winning that game if Syracuse forced it into OT.

Basketball media types LOVE the lock down defender and a team "cheerleader"...Craft more than fits that mold. Honestly, I don't care what he does offensively, watching him on D is worth it.

His defense changes games and was a huge reason why I didn't think the Gophers had a chance to beat the Buckeyes this year (shaky ballhandlers being pressured by Craft is a bad recipe). I do think he gets away with a number of reaches, but as long as he gets away with it he might as well keep doing it.

Because he's a frickin' stud. Anyone who doesn't appreciate or understand the value he brings to OSU when he's on the court has no clue. They are a completely different team when he's not on the court. The Buckeyes weren't winning that game if Syracuse forced it into OT.

What SS said. The kid is great - at everything except scoring at this point in his college career.

T6A26.png

Overrated????!!!!

Part of the appeal is also the looks. Young, innocent looking with rosy cheeks but he just wants to destroy the guy he's guarding.

Part of the appeal is also the looks. Young, innocent looking with rosy cheeks but he just wants to destroy the guy he's guarding.

I guess you could call him "Rosy the Riveter" LOL

They're showing Mbakwe a lot and he's not even suited up.

Top Bottom