Why did we punt with 6 minutes to go?

Appreciate the reference to Mr Easterbrook as he as some compelling arguments. They are good read. However, judging by his statistical observations and rules based on those observations, we should have punted in that Situation.

Situation:
4 and 10 from our own 40

Rules
• Inside your own 20, punt.
• From your 21 to 35, go for it on fourth-and-2 or less.

• From your 36 to midfield, go for it on fourth-and-3 or less.

• From the opposition 49 to opposition 30, go for it on fourth-and-4 or less.

• From the opposition 29 to opposition 3, go for it on fourth-and-3 or less.

• From the opposition 2 or 1, go for it.

• Exception: inside the opponent's 25, attempt a field goal if it's the fourth quarter and a field goal causes a tie or gives you the lead.

Conclusion
Easterbrook would say punt. These rules of course are built for a high powered passing attack. This changes the consideration as he probaility for completing a pass play enhances the chances of success in the above situations. Mr Easterbrook even notes a great team where a defense is the stronger unit would lose more games by employing the above rules. His example is 2006 Baltimore Ravens who were 13-3, would have been worse off.

I would argue that the while there is room to examine when to punt and when not to punt, the Gophers and their bevy of young ball players should not take a far more aggressive stance punting this season. Maybe down the road, and it should be reevaluated annually, based on the current team.

i'm sure this goes without saying, but the odds and such change GREATLY in a college game vs the pros.

Why did we concede/throw in the white towel? We were on our 45 or 50 and down two TDs at the time, and we punted?! Made no sense to me. What am I missing?
This is more proof we were playing not to get blown out rather than playing to win.

That is a good question. I've got another one. Why did we huddle in the 2-minute situation at the end of the 1st half? If we were trying to kill the clock, why not knee it instead of risking an injury? Michigan had no timeouts if I recall.

Because there is always a chance one is busted - albeit with better personnel. See Gary Russell, 2005

Why did we concede/throw in the white towel? We were on our 45 or 50 and down two TDs at the time, and we punted?! Made no sense to me. What am I missing?

If college football coaches were smart, they'd be scientists or doctors. We're not exactly talking statistical geniuses here, not at the D-1 level, and not in the NFL either. If these guys understood probability, they'd understand how to work a gameclock.

If college football coaches were smart, they'd be scientists or doctors. We're not exactly talking statistical geniuses here, not at the D-1 level, and not in the NFL either. If these guys understood probability, they'd understand how to work a gameclock.

This

yeah weird how we pay these idiots at big schools more money than the average doctor by about 10 fold

yeah weird how we pay these idiots at big schools more money than the average doctor by about 10 fold

But I tell ya these idiots know the three point technique better than anyone. How many lives has that saved?

Top Bottom