Why Did the Orange Bowl pass on TCU or BSU?

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
I don't like 2 non BCS schools playing each other. Give them each a chance to beat the big boys.

Just started another thread saying the same thing. I'm pissed about this. They're too worried about a BCS school getting embarrassed.

Stupid. TCU and BSU played each other last year in the Poinsettia Bowl.

Just started another thread saying the same thing. I'm pissed about this. They're too worried about a BCS school getting embarrassed.

This +1; though I'd guess the Orange Bowl people are certain that Iowa and Georgia Tech will bring more people to Miami then any other combination.

I was hoping TCU would get matched up with Iowa and the frogs kickin their you know what!

The BCS is protecting itself again

this just clears the way for Texas. When they beat Bama, they will be no Boise State upset of Oklahoma type game to point out how undeserving they are after their horrible game against Nebraska. I bet Florida's name will be brought up again though.

this just clears the way for Texas. When they beat Bama, they will be no Boise State upset of Oklahoma type game to point out how undeserving they are after their horrible game against Nebraska. I bet Florida's name will be brought up again though.

I came to the same conclusion, the BCS is protecting itself by trying to eliminate any undefeated teams other than its "champion". Notice it matched up cincinnati with florida, presumably the best one loss team.

Yes, this is a joke. Think if both TCU and and Boise State weren't playing each other, but beat their opponents? Three undefeated teams? How much heat would there be to have a playoff then? This is all about money and greed, per usual, and the Presidents and NCAA wanting to maintain their cash cow. It is a conspiracy, no doubt about it.

I came to the same conclusion, the BCS is protecting itself by trying to eliminate any undefeated teams other than its "champion". Notice it matched up cincinnati with florida, presumably the best one loss team.

And I forgot about Cincinnati! I like Tebow, but now would love for Cincy to beat Florida.

BCS would rather have one poorly attended game than two. TCU or Boise against other teams is great for T.V. but bad for attendance.

We'll see how it looks after the games are played.

Well, put yourself in the Orange Bowl's shoes. You're in charge of selling as many tickets as humanly possible, fill as many hotel rooms as you can, and have as many people spending as much money as they can in your area. Your choices are Iowa, TCU, and Cincinnati. Pretty simple pick. Iowa.

The bigger question is why in the heck did the Fiesta Bowl pass on Iowa or Penn State to begin with? They had the 2nd pick, not the Orange Bowl. The Orange Bowl had to be thanking its lucky stars that the Fiesta used its first pick on a mid-major leaving them with Iowa. A stroke of luck for the Orange Bowl.

This is a Fiesta Bowl issue, not an Orange Bowl issue.

it's simple

they had to put them in a BCS game but neither will fill seats and it's up to the Game owners to make money, which this year will be mighty tough. Neither of these teams did well filling seats at the Poinsettia Bowl last year. Iowa fills 40,000+ seats, BSU can't even do that at home much less on the road in a bad economy. So the Orange Bowl got lucky because the Fiesta won't take as big a bath because of the three bowls games that will be in the same stadium and a lot of alumni in the area (not BSU alumns, they can't afford it, not a school that produces champions of industry, they have what3 Masters Degree programs, no phds. They are still a JC with a good football program in a weak conference. For a mid-major to go to a BCS bowl they should require them to play at least 3 of their 4 nc games against BCS schools. And have much stiffer academic requirements, anyone who applies to BSU gets in if they have a checkbook.

Praying for Cincy to upset Florida, that way you've got for sure three undefeated teams, and enough of a potential stink to hopefully sink the ship.

Apparently I think Boise (I think they traveled pretty well to New Orleans vs. Oklahoma!) and TCU (it's in TEXAS! They do like their football there) are going to travel way better than most on here.

Should have been Boise State and Cincinnati in the Fiesta and TCU and Florida in the Sugar. Iowa and Georgia Tech is a good match-up!

I have a friend in Dallas who went to TCU, and he told me three weeks ago that he prayed they wouldn't get matched up with Boise St. He wanted to see how TCU would match up with one of the "big boys." He said playing Boise will be like sitting over at the card table at a family dinner.

I have a friend in Dallas who went to TCU, and he told me three weeks ago that he prayed they wouldn't get matched up with Boise St. He wanted to see how TCU would match up with one of the "big boys." He said playing Boise will be like sitting over at the card table at a family dinner.

HA! That is a great analogy and anyone who is from a larger family can empathize with.

Apparently I think Boise (I think they traveled pretty well to New Orleans vs. Oklahoma!) and TCU (it's in TEXAS! They do like their football there) are going to travel way better than most on here.

I hope you are right about TCU. I personally don't see it though. TCU doesn't have the local following to routinely fill its own stadium. That said, it seems to be because a lot of TCU alumni move away from DFW.

A local (I'm in the DFW area) newspaper had a line once that said if every student at the school and every living local alum bought a football ticket, the stadium would still have 10k open seats.

The Utah game was the first sell-out in a game against a non-Texas school in recent memory.

Even the last game of the year (vs NM the Sat after Turkey Day) they were selling $100 family 4 packs (4 dogs, cokes, tix and 4 movie tickets to a local theater) to fill the seats.

It sounds like minimizing the damage to the BCS system. Having Boise and TCU play each other means there will likely be only one other undefeated team besides the BCS champion unless Cincinatti gets the win. They can't do much about Cincinatti throwing a wrench in the works if they win, but with Boise and TCU they can still say "You didn't play anyone!"

If Cincinatti gets the win, that really is a wrench in the BCS. Snubbing an undefeated team from a non-BCS conference is one thing, snubbing a team from a BCS conference is another. That's the sort of thing that could cause disaffection with the BCS spreading wider.

TCF=UWS....you don't understand TX football.

TCU routinely has trouble selling out their own stadium...with a 12-0 team. If they had been 11-1....they wouldn't have sold out the Utah game (only sellout in recent memory). Similar to NW in Chicago. They average 30k+

I like going to their games...but their fan support stinks.

The Gophers have easily better fan support (by numbers) and passion than TCU does.

Blog about attendance...notice the attendance #s for this season through 4 games....TCU and attendance

another article
GopherMartin

it limits financial damage

to one bowl game rather than two, BSU didn't travel well last year and will be worse this year, most of their fan base has been home building contractors and small time developers who are leaving in droves

Top Bottom