Why did Ben Johnson head to Xavier?

Am I just that much of a homer where I can't see that we have a bad basketball program and it's THAT HARD to win here? I'm still putting it on the coaches. Tubby is a slighty above average coach overall and I thought he was alright here, not that I wanted him in the end. Monson just wasn't a very good coach. He's struggling now. Richard had no past success before coming here so I guess we'll find out after he's gone. I don't think it should be that difficult, relatively, to have a successful program at Minnesota.

We play in the Big Ten. That is not that easy.

I agree but you gotta be good enough to finish .500 and above in the Big Ten every year and you're in good shape. I don't think that's too much to ask. It's tough no doubt, but we're a good school with resources. Bring in the coach that'll get that done. Coyle will do it.

Building a winner is very difficult. Finding a great coach is very difficult. The non blue blood blood schools that have done it are few and far between.

Building a winner is very difficult. Finding a great coach is very difficult. The non blue blood blood schools that have done it are few and far between.
But if that's not the bar you set, you'll just be what we've been.

I agree but you gotta be good enough to finish .500 and above in the Big Ten every year and you're in good shape. I don't think that's too much to ask. It's tough no doubt, but we're a good school with resources. Bring in the coach that'll get that done. Coyle will do it.

So who are these teams in the Big Ten that are going to take all the losses we are going to rid ourselves of? Michigan? MSU? Ohio State? Illinois? Wisconsin? Iowa? Everyone in the Big Ten can not "finish .500 and above in the Big Ten"? There is nothing about our resources or situation that indicates to me that we "should" be any sort of above average Big Ten program. We need to get and keep a well above average coach if our program is going to do what it historically not done. Just like in football.

Xavier University is Jesuit school. The reason Ben Johnson headed there was to be closer to his Lord Savior Jesus Christ.

So who are these teams in the Big Ten that are going to take all the losses we are going to rid ourselves of? Michigan? MSU? Ohio State? Illinois? Wisconsin? Iowa? Everyone in the Big Ten can not "finish .500 and above in the Big Ten"? There is nothing about our resources or situation that indicates to me that we "should" be any sort of above average Big Ten program. We need to get and keep a well above average coach if our program is going to do what it historically not done. Just like in football.
Yes, take wins from all the teams you've listed. That should be the goal. What does well above average look like to you? Below .500?

I have it on pretty good authority that Johnson and Pitino didn't get along that well.

Yes, take wins from all the teams you've listed. That should be the goal. What does well above average look like to you? Below .500?

I am doubting that such an outcome should be expected here when it has not been done here by anyone who did not cheat. As I clearly wrote, it will take a very above average coach who will be very hard to keep here. Just like Fleck. We are NOT an above average opportunity here. If you do not see that it must only be because you do not understand what other BT programs have that has given them, in fact, more success than we have, in fact, had.

I am doubting that such an outcome should be expected here when it has not been done here by anyone who did not cheat. As I clearly wrote, it will take a very above average coach who will be very hard to keep here. Just like Fleck. We are NOT an above average opportunity here. If you do not see that it must only be because you do not understand what other BT programs have that has given them, in fact, more success than we have, in fact, had.
I'm just looking at guy's like Craig Smith and Medved at Colorado St, or Nagy at Wright St. Those guys aren't home runs but I like the potential there with those guys and I truly believe one of them could get us there and stay here. Maybe not the next Izzo but consistently .500 and above isn't crazy. Both Smith and Medved from Minnesota and I think would be here long-term. They may not be the home run hire like Fleck but I like them. Do you take a guy like that? Or do you look more at home run guys which I don't exactly know what names that would be for us. I guess Musselman or Beilein.
I actually think Forbes from E Tenn St. or Jans from New Mexico St. would be great hires but both shady guys with an iffy past so it's hard to come around on that.
The list just goes on. If a guy comes in here and wins at a high level that'll be great.

Last edited:

I'm just looking at guy's like Craig Smith and Medved at Colorado St, or Nagy at Wright St. Those guys aren't home runs but I like the potential there with those guys and I truly believe one of them could get us there and stay here. Maybe not the next Izzo but consistently .500 and above isn't crazy. Both Smith and Medved from Minnesota and I think would be here long-term. They may not be the home run hire like Fleck but I like them. Do you take a guy like that? Or do you look more at home run guys which I don't exactly know what names that would be for us. I guess Musselman or Beilein.
I actually think Forbes from E Tenn St. or Jans from New Mexico St. would be great hires be great.

Musselman is no longer available. He was available a year ago when it was determined coach Pitino deserved another season to try to advance the team into broad sunlit uplands. Alas, we have sunk into the abyss of a new dark age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted by the unavailability of home run guys like Musselman and Beilein (he’s not coming here), the departure of Daniel Oturu, woeful 3 pt shooting and missed free throws, lack of a productive bench, and talk of destroying the Barn in some perverse sacrifice to the perceived desires of future 18 year old basketball recruits.
However, let me just say - we shall never surrender!

I actually think Forbes from E Tenn St. or Jans from New Mexico St. would be great hires but both shady guys with an iffy past so it's hard to come around on that.
The list just goes on. If a guy comes in here and wins at a high level that'll be great.
It's interesting that you mention Izzo. Where does an Izzo come from? Where does a Gard come from? Both were long-time assistants without head coaching experience at this level. Not that that's the only place to get coaches of their caliber, but that IS one place.

Please don’t ever put Mussleman and Izzo in the same category until earned by Musselman (he has a long way to go!!!).

You are right on hiring a homerun not necessarily being available for the U. We will have to take our chances on a young go getter or guy who isn’t known (Forbes). Will be interesting to see what happens

Please don’t ever put Mussleman and Izzo in the same category until earned by Musselman (he has a long way to go!!!).

You are right on hiring a homerun not necessarily being available for the U. We will have to take our chances on a young go getter or guy who isn’t known (Forbes). Will be interesting to see what happens
Haha trust me I'm not. I'm calling him a "home run" hire. Izzo is clearly established and one of the best. I'm not really as crazy about Musselman as everybody seems to be. Watching those Nevada teams in the NCAA tournament was ridiculous in an up-and-down kinda way. But they were in the tournament which is more than we can say.

Yeah it will. Seems like there's more momentum towards him staying but we will see. It would be exciting to see Coyle bring in a guy and see who it is.

Haha trust me I'm not. I'm calling him a "home run" hire. Izzo is clearly established and one of the best. I'm not really as crazy about Musselman as everybody seems to be. Watching those Nevada teams in the NCAA tournament was ridiculous in an up-and-down kinda way. But they were in the tournament which is more than we can say.

Yeah it will. Seems like there's more momentum towards him staying but we will see. It would be exciting to see Coyle bring in a guy and see who it is.

I rank Musselman above Richard, but for the money he commanded I'd still pick quite a few others first. I think he's fine, but not a home run that many think he is.

I rank Musselman above Richard, but for the money he commanded I'd still pick quite a few others first. I think he's fine, but not a home run that many think he is.
That may be but he just rolled into Arkansas and during his first year he signed four 4 stars from Arkansas. He must have come right into town and established some good relationships and really hustled to do that. That's no easy task and done at a high level.

That may be but he just rolled into Arkansas and during his first year he signed four 4 stars from Arkansas. He must have come right into town and established some good relationships and really hustled to do that. That's no easy task and done at a high level.
Tubby did some similar things here too. Mike Anderson recruited there well right away too. Not always a guarantee for success.

Ben Johnson Head coach material or does he need to be a head coach somewhere for a while before coming here?

I don't think Musselman will be the hire anyway. Hard enough to get him, not a great fit. Let's move on.

Top Bottom