Why boo the players?

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
I will never understand booing amateur athletes.

For anyone out there that boo'd the players, tell me:

Do you think they were not trying to win the game?
Do you think you, as a fan in the seats, has a more vested interest in winning than they do?
Do you think you could do better?

I am very, very unhappy about today's game, but I won't boo a bunch of 18-22 year old guys that put in as much time and energy into an athletic endeavor as our Gophers. Many of these guys are are walk-ons, and the granting of scholarships to the rest doesn't give us the right to demand any kind of an outcome.

Are you going to go boo some of the academic scholarship earners if they fail a class or a test?

Are you going to boo non-revenue athletes who come up short?

Classless.

Booing

I only boo bad calls by the refs.

I often want to boo for other reasons, but don't do it.

It is hardest to not succumb when the home team is being outcoached.

Today was a hard day.

Go Gophers! Beat USC!

I was there and I didnt boo the players, I booed Tim Brewster and the other buffoons he calls a coaching staff.

Do you think you, as a fan in the seats, has a more vested interest in winning than they do?

I am very, very unhappy about today's game, but I won't boo a bunch of 18-22 year old guys that put in as much time and energy into an athletic endeavor as our Gophers. Many of these guys are are walk-ons, and the granting of scholarships to the rest doesn't give us the right to demand any kind of an outcome.

Are you going to go boo some of the academic scholarship earners if they fail a class or a test?

Classless.

Can't use the word Classless when the "Stand Up" 5th Year Leader turns to the crowd & says "F--K You!"

Who says we're booing the players. I'm booing the fact that was the best a coach and a university can put on the field. Thank god I wasn't stupid enough to pay the blood money for tickets or parking. Hell, I park for free in the fairgrounds and take the bus. There is no reason to pay unless you are tailgaiting.

I just can't see any reason to pay to see that kind of effort. I'd rather support the baseball and volleyball teams...

I pay good money for my seats. I have every right to boo the program as a whole if I so choose.

Because ever year they tell us that it will be different and that they won't look past the FCS or other "weak" teams and EVERY year they lay down and die.

the players should be booed

the only group that should not be booed is the band. THey had a good day. Anyone with free ride should be booed and kicked off the team. This is another new low for the program.

I booed, and I booed lustily. I booed Brewster, and his terrible group of coaches. I booed Maturi and his terrible choice four years ago. I booed the players. Oh yes, I booed the players. They looked lazy, they looked disinterested, and they looked terrible. I'm sure they're nice fellas. I've met a couple of them, and they're nice guys. But they performed poorly today, and so, they get booed. If I cheer them when they perform well, and I do, I'll boo them when they embarrass themselves and the University.

I booed because I am very proud of my team and I put a lot of TIME, MONEY, HARD WORK, and PRIDE in the Gophers and to see them come out and play like this, like they don't care at all the first half, and lose to a D1-AA or whatever team. That is embarrassing. I expect great things out of players while they are out there. I expect the very high paid coaches to have their players ready to play when the game starts. They are the MN Gophers, a BIG TEN football team. I spend a good chunk of my life cheering and standing up for the gophers and when they go out on the field and play like that, I will boo them because they Should know we expect much better things from them. Go Gophers.

I booed because I am very proud of my team and I put a lot of TIME, MONEY, HARD WORK, and PRIDE in the Gophers and to see them come out and play like this, like they don't care at all the first half, and lose to a D1-AA or whatever team. That is embarrassing. I expect great things out of players while they are out there. I expect the very high paid coaches to have their players ready to play when the game starts. They are the MN Gophers, a BIG TEN football team. I spend a good chunk of my life cheering and standing up for the gophers and when they go out on the field and play like that, I will boo them because they Should know we expect much better things from them. Go Gophers.

+1

I have a hard time understanding the booing of 18-22 year olds in general, but especially when one of them just had the worst week of his life. I'm glad they were recognized before the game and not a halftime right after the team was being booed off the field.

I find it ironic that a lot of fans said they liked Brewster better then Mason because his team never quits...

This & a few game late last season speak otherwise...

I left after halftime, no way in he!! I was sticking around to watch that effort.

Can someone give me a little summary of the booing. Was is as loud as the Illinois and SDSU games from last year? Did is last the whole second half. I was booing in the second quarter, I would have continued to boo if I could stand to watch those @ss clowns.

I left after halftime, no way in he!! I was sticking around to watch that effort.

Can someone give me a little summary of the booing. Was is as loud as the Illinois and SDSU games from last year? Did is last the whole second half. I was booing in the second quarter, I would have continued to boo if I could stand to watch those @ss clowns.

No, the booing was not very loud. In fact, that was the most significant fact to me. No one gives a rat's ass anymore. Apathy is choking the life out of the entire program. And who can blame anyone for that attitude?

I find it ironic that a lot of fans said they liked Brewster better then Mason because his team never quits...

This & a few game late last season speak otherwise...

Down 21-10 at the half against USD, lost by three....they quit?

Down 28-7 at the half against Illinois, lost by three....they quit?

Because I'm helping pay for their damn $23,000 a year free ride to go out there and get absolutely shown up by players not making $23,000 a year to play football...even though I didn't boo, I feel honored to have my increasingly higher tuition go towards athletes who A. Get suspended and can't play and B. Not get up for a game and do their assignments to beat a team that is bad

18-22 year olds?

Big deal. They are ADULTS. Some ADULTS are fighting and dying. When you physically overmatch an opponent and go out and stink it up, there are consequences. If you don't study in college, you get an 'F' on the test, the prof doesn't say, "well, you're only 20 years old so I'll give you a 'C'".

Call it a lesson in the real world. Very valuable. Today was unacceptable, and there are consequences for performing unacceptably. Booing is that consequence in college football. They just gotta deal with it.

Down 21-10 at the half against USD, lost by three....they quit?

Down 28-7 at the half against Illinois, lost by three....they quit?

I'm sorry...I guess Illinois taking the foot off the gas & giving Minnesota life had nothing to do with it...

And today? R U Serious? They didn't even shake the Coyotes hands or stay for the song at the end...maybe you didn't watch the game...

But *YEAH*...they quit...

I'm sorry...I guess Illinois taking the foot off the gas & giving Minnesota life had nothing to do with it...

And today? R U Serious? They didn't even shake the Coyotes hands or stay for the song at the end...maybe you didn't watch the game...

But *YEAH*...they quit...

"Foot off the gas" - leading 28-10 and passing 6 out of their first 10 plays to start the third quarter. Then when Minnesota cuts it to 28-17, they throw on first down and third down and have to punt. Yep, Illinois went into its shell.

And today...according to you, they quit "after" the game. For shame! You had such a good time watching them for three hours, you wanted the two minutes of Gopher karoake to cap off the day.

"Foot off the gas" - leading 28-10 and passing 6 out of their first 10 plays to start the third quarter. Then when Minnesota cuts it to 28-17, they throw on first down and third down and have to punt. Yep, Illinois went into its shell.

And today...according to you, they quit "after" the game. For shame! You had such a good time watching them for three hours, you wanted the two minutes of Gopher karoake to cap off the day.

I don't know what game you watched...but yeah...they quit...when did the Defense show up again?

Classless.

Classless is not shakin hands after you lose, classless is telling your own fans to F___ themselves, poor little spoiled babies...gee we got booed!!! what will we do?? toughen up gogophers!! u play like Sh-- you deserve it

Classless is not shakin hands after you lose, classless is telling your own fans to F___ themselves, poor little spoiled babies...gee we got booed!!! what will we do?? toughen up gogophers!! u play like Sh-- you deserve it
Eh, they're kids. It's embarrassing and they've had the kicked crap out of them on the field and in the press. It's not the way they should act but I'm not going to pearl clutch over it either. They still need to grow up a bit.

Classless.

Welcome to the Real World, Sally.
Those athletes and students represent the University from which I graduated. If I feel that they are not properly maintaining a proper level of integrity, honor and respect in the eyes of others, then yes, I will boo them. I failed tests at the University, but I did it with the understanding that it was my fault. I didn't try to blame others. I had the integrity to accept my shortcomings and work harder to learn from my failures. I didn't want a medal or a plaque just for participating because that is called passing along failure. The University of Minnesota has sacrificed its athletic integrity under the justification of maintaining academic integrity only now to have both failing. They have relied on state funding and neglected alumni donors and their revenue generating sports.
Welcome to the Real World, Sally.

Top Bottom