Why are you a Gopher volleyball fan?

(R)uffda!

Reaction score
I'm truly curious. I have some thoughts I will eventually share, but I'd like to hear your reasons -- and if current events are impacting your enthusiasm.

If the thread goes nowhere, then I may still share. Because what else is a forum for other than for me to bore people.

Always been a Gopher fan. Use to go to their games as a kid with my middle school volleyball team. Really became investsed when my cousin played for the team in 2011 and games became televised more. I've played volleyball my entire life; elementary school, middle school, high school and college and coached for a few years.

My enthusiasm hasn't dampened at all with the changes that have been happening. If anything I've become more engaged with discovering all of the volleyball talk boards that are out there. I'm excited to see what the future holds with this team and the new talent coming in. It may take a few years, but we'll get back to the powerhouse we once were! Go Gophers!!

I appreciate the skill and athleticism of the athletes. I became a true fan when Hebert's Gophers would play a border battle match in Rochester. Watching Branagh, Berg, Busse, Martin, etc., etc. was a real treat My wife and I attended the regional played in the Pav when GA Tech and OSU were here. Shortly after that, we became season ticket holders. Now, off to renew our tickets for next season.

I became a fan when I saw a game televised during the Wilhite, SSS, Tapp era and have been hooked since. That was such a dynamic team and so fun to watch. I have played volleyball most of my life and still play recreationally. I love the sport and live in MN so it feels natural to support the Gophers.

Never knew anything about volleyball or recognized it as a competitive sport until my wife and I started playing some years ago. Then we got into watching the Gophers.

As someone who played women's sports, I want to support women's sports. I find volleyball very exciting and super athletic and got into it because the Gophers have been a top team for so long. I became a season ticket holder a number of years ago now and love that I live close enough to enjoy things live.

As a fan, my first exposure to high level volleyball was at Ball State when Don Shondell coached the men’s team. Switching cities and fast forwarding a few years past the boring bits, I attended some Gopher matches when Stephanie Schleuder was in charge but remained pretty neutral during the Chris Voelz/Schleuder spat which cleared the path for Mike Hebert.

Then came Mariucci Arena and the Pav. We have Gopher men’s hockey season tickets (plus football, women’s basketball, and volleyball season tickets). Anyway, if a volleyball match would run long, following a hockey game we would go into the Pav and catch the conclusion (including the finish of the Ohio State/Minnesota regional final). Yes, as we got into the later aughts, we bought tickets for regular season and NCAA tournament matches. How could you not support an international sport being played at a high level?

When Hugh McCutcheon arrived, interest boomed, and we purchased season tickets in the upper deck not far from where we used to sit during Gopher hockey games. They are great seats to observe and cheer volleyball’s unique dynamics of fluidity, strength, and speed.

I found myself coaching at the small college level without a formal background in the sport. I reached out to Steph Schleuder to ask if I could attend a practice. Later, Mike Hebert used to hold coaches clinics in tandem with his camps (these were invaluable and I wish others had followed suit). I no longer coach, but love the sport and support the Gophers for all sports.

To be honest, I'm having a really hard time with where we are and also seeing WI pass us by. I long for the day when we are once again on even footing with WI and once again, can contend for a Natty. However, with this new portal world, I'm not sure teams besides Neb/Tex/Wis will ever be able to reach that level of contention.

I have played recreational volleyball for many years. I got hooked as a young married man (in my 20's) who played co-ed volleyball with his wife and our other married friends. From there I played on men's teams and I still play once a week (now I'm in my 60's). So naturally I started watching volleyball and that included Gopher volleyball. My brother has season tickets to it, and I sometimes attend with him. For my money, women's volleyball is more enjoyable to watch than men's. Men's is too much power - The points and action are too quick and short.

I always enjoyed supporting my high school team and playing in gym class and then intramurals in college.
I can't remember why I first started going to gopher games but I was completely floored by Katrien De Decker. I've loved it ever since and tried to get to one or two games a year, though that has been more difficult the last few.
It's a great atmosphere with likable players and of course we've been very good during that time.

I have played recreational volleyball for many years. I got hooked as a young married man (in my 20's) who played co-ed volleyball with his wife and our other married friends. From there I played on men's teams and I still play once a week (now I'm in my 60's). So naturally I started watching volleyball and that included Gopher volleyball. My brother has season tickets to it, and I sometimes attend with him. For my money, women's volleyball is more enjoyable to watch than men's. Men's is too much power - The points and action are too quick and short.
Same here. I'd rather watch womens VB.
I got into Gopher VB when my daughter started playing JO VB in grade school. I took my son to Gopher football games so it was only fair to bring the daughter to something she enjoyed. Then my wife and I started going to games and eventually got season tickets, which are relatively inexpensive compared to other sporting events in town. We don't make it every game but we know many people that are more than happy to fill in for us when we can't go.

Never knew anything about volleyball or recognized it as a competitive sport until my wife and I started playing some years ago. Then we got into watching the Gophers.
Similar to my story. Played a good deal of recreational volleyball in my younger years, and it's probably my favorite sport to play (if you don't count cornhole, haha). My wife and I met at church volleyball, and we both love watching the sport. Thank goodness the U hired Mike Hebert back in the day. We've been ardent fans and supporters of the Gopher program since he elevated it.

OK. Why I am a fan of Gopher volleyball (besides loving the sport itself).

It's the people. But not just the current people, the coaches, staff, players and fellow fans. It's all of them over the 30+ years I have been following the program. It has always helped that I have admired the coaches -- Steph, Pam, Mike, Laura, Hugh and now Keegan; it sure makes it easier when you can truly believe the people running the show are good people. I have always been aware of the silliness of cheering for a uniform -- especially for a school I did not attend. It's the people who WEAR the uniform (or represent it) that matter. That's why my fandom for the Twins, Vikings, Wild, et al weakens with every passing year. If they aren't loyal to the team, why should I be?

But even more important than all that, something I have that no player, coach or staff member has, is a connection to the history of the program (although Nao comes close). I've been there through all the ups and downs -- from Sue Jackson flinging herself off the raiser court in pursuit of the last point in an NCAA match in 1993, to Mike's hiring in 1996, to the improbable comeback against USC in 1999, to Mo's death in 2000, to the Big10 championship in 2001, to the wins in Long Beach to make the semi-finals in 2003, to the final in 2004, to Mike disclosing his illness and his retirement, to the announcement of Hugh's hiring, etc. etc. THAT creates a fan.

I hate what is happening to the sport. I hate that a program which NEVER lost players (until Tabi Love) now does so regularly. I hate NIL. I can't stand what Wisconsin, Texas and Nebraska have become. And what Penn State is trying to become. I always envied Stanford and Penn State, but I didn't really dislike them. But the sport is now inherently unfair -- just like pro sports.

I just have to keep reminding myself: it's the people; it's the game itself. I can still be a fan of Gopher volleyball.

Last edited:

It's the people. But not just the current people, the coaches, staff, players and fellow fans. It's all of them over the 30+ years I have been following the program. It has always helped that I have admired the coaches -- Steph, Pam, Mike, Laura, Hugh and now Keegan; it sure makes it easier when you can truly believe the people running the show are good people. I have always been aware of the silliness of cheering for a uniform -- especially for a school I did not attend. It's the people who WEAR the uniform (or represent it) that matter. That's why my fandom for the Twins, Vikings, Wild, et al weakens with every passing year. If they aren't loyal to the team, why should I be?

But even more important than all that, something I have that no player, coach or staff member has, is a connection to the history of the program (although Nao comes close). I've been there through all the ups and downs -- from Sue Jackson flinging herself off the raiser court in pursuit of the last point in an NCAA match in 1993, to Mike's hiring in 1996, to the improbable comeback against USC in 1999, to Mo's death in 2000, to the Big10 championship in 2001, to the wins in Long Beach to make the semi-finals in 2003, to the final in 2004, to Mike disclosing his illness and his retirement, to the announcement of Hugh's hiring, etc. etc. THAT creates a fan.

I hate what is happening to the sport. I hate that a program which NEVER lost players (until Tabi Love) now does so regularly. I hate NIL. I can't stand what Wisconsin, Texas and Nebraska have become. And what Penn State is trying to become. I always envied Stanford and Penn State, but I didn't really dislike them. But the sport is now inherently unfair -- just like pro sports.

I just have to keep reminding myself: it's the people; it's the game itself. I can still be a fan of Gopher volleyball.
Love this. It's the same for me for Gopher Women's Basketball. Been attending games since 1982.

My 2 favorite sports are volleyball and basketball.

Those are the sports I played recreationally at the St. Paul JCC.

On Tuesday night there was open basketball from 7:00-8:15, followed by volleyball at 8:30-10:00. Those took place on a 1/2 gym. On Sunday there was full court basketball from 8:30-10:00, followed by volleyball until noon.

I would go to a few matches a year, and now watch BTN+.

well said, Ruffda! I also go back all the way to Sue Jackson flying off the raised floor in Williams, although I wasn't as deeply invested way back then as I am now. I also agree with your take on NIL/portal. I loved that MN was at least a contender for the final 4 every year, and now it seems like that status may be reserved for the designated few programs who have decided to build all star teams through the portal (regardless of what that does to the rest of their roster). Hate it!

ps - who is Mo? For some reason, I cannot recall this event.

Mo Batie. Came to the U with Nao and Mike. Personality lit up the room.

I've always enjoyed watching volleyball but, in the past, you'd only ever find it on TV during the Olympics. The Big Ten Network putting it on TV regularly is what got me hooked on following the Gophers.

My current enthusiasm for the program has not waned despite the coaching change and last year's struggles. I'm a long-suffering Gopher basketball and football fan. Taking a volleyball program for granted that continues to make NCAA tournaments, but unfortunately doesn't always contend for Final Fours, seems foolish to me.

I've always enjoyed watching volleyball but, in the past, you'd only ever find it on TV during the Olympics. The Big Ten Network putting it on TV regularly is what got me hooked on following the Gophers.

My current enthusiasm for the program has not waned despite the coaching change and last year's struggles. I'm a long-suffering Gopher basketball and football fan. Taking a volleyball program for granted that continues to make NCAA tournaments, but unfortunately doesn't always contend for Final Fours, seems foolish to me.
Making the tournament is not at all like making March Madness for the men. It's not like that, where if the Gophers MBB team actually does it that's an accomplishment.

There are probably 10-15 programs in the nation, Gophers being one, where that's the bare minimum and if you don't even make the tournament you should be fired.

It's tough to expect always making the Sweet Sixteen, but they at least were at that point. Like Wisconsin is now. Heck Wisc I bet they feel miffed if they don't host a regional and make it to their own final.

Top Bottom