Why are we 14th (last) in 2022 B1G recruiting?

TheNorthernAmir

Reaction score
https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-Ten

Why are we 14th in 2022 B1G team rankings?

Are recruits getting tired of PJ's schtick? Are bad rumors floating around recruiting circles? This just seems weird. We had a lot of national love and momentum after 2019, and 2021 was an overall successful bounce-back, especially after beating a very good Wisconsin team.

Something seems off. What happened here?

Last edited:

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-Ten

Are recruits getting tired of PJ's schtick? Are bad rumors floating around recruiting circles? This just seems weird. We had a lot of national love and momentum after 2019, and 2021 was an overall successful bounce-back, especially after beating a very good Wisconsin team.

We have a small class and I also think PJ has started to put more emphasis on the transfer portal.

For whatever reason this just doesn't seem that relevant to me any more.

Maybe its just ranking complacency or a general comfort that what's making it to the field certainly seems to belong there for a B1G program.

Can't say that has always been the case...

Outside of OSU, Michigan and Penn St, on the whole there is very little difference in the talent recruited by Big Ten teams.
This has been my position about rankings for many years now. Comparing “high” and “low” 3-star players out 2 decimal places by some recruiter is pointless. Fit to the program and the ability/desire to stay in the program matter way more than anything at that point.

Maryland, for whatever reason, seems to be a place that can land a couple really highly rated guys, not infrequently.

I would not say their program has surged ahead of ours. Granted, playing Ohio St every year, etc.

Maryland, for whatever reason, seems to be a place that can land a couple really highly rated guys, not infrequently.

I would not say their program has surged ahead of ours. Granted, playing Ohio St every year, etc.

I look at WS and Ls to see whose ahead, but flip out if u must

This has been my position about rankings for many years now. Comparing “high” and “low” 3-star players out 2 decimal places by some recruiter is pointless. Fit to the program and the ability/desire to stay in the program matter way more than anything at that point.
No human being on the planet knows the difference between a group of high school kids rated at .866 and another rated .865.

Nice to have automatic wins against Rutgers and Indiana though. East is more top heavy. West has more depth.

247 commits math mortal sins by using four significant figures in their reporting.
In reality they should useably one.
Do that by rounding their numbers to one number and you will find that the teams bunch up and the gap between the top and bottom is not very big.
The ratings on 247 are for entertainment only.

247 commits math mortal sins by using four significant figures in their reporting.
Do that by rounding their numbers to one number and you will find that the teams bunch up and the gap between the top and bottom is not very big.
All depends on the numbers they're inputting to get their ratings, and if their formula is using addition/ subtraction, multiplication/ division, or some combination 🤓

All depends on the numbers they're inputting to get their ratings, and if their formula is using addition/ subtraction, multiplication/ division, or some combination 🤓

You cannot have more significant figures in your answer than the lowest number used the equation.
If you use the one to four stars to rank recruits you can only have one significant figure when you get an average.

You cannot have more significant figures in your answer than the lowest number used the equation.
If you use the one to four stars to rank recruits you can only have one significant figure when you get an average.
Here's a 247 link that talks about how their rankings are calculated:

If I read it correctly, it is based on number of stars from multiple sources. But since that is an exact number, it would have infinite significant figures and wouldn't limit the significant figures in their formula.

It's because they rank them in a model that rewards the number of recruits. PJ gets a lot of recruits in June. Look at the average rating for now and compare that. Our recruiting has improved tons under Fleck and we are on track to do that again. I wouldn't worry until the end of July....

I don't often find myself agreeing with Plato but I could not agree more with that final line.

Recruiting rankings are 1000% for entertainment purposes only. How anyone can convince themselves that these sites are capable of accurately ranking players from all over who will never be on the same field at the same time is beyond me. And the process 247 uses for their team rankings is a complete joke.

The sites do a solid job evaluating players but it would be an impossible task for them to be totally accurate when comparing players. It just isn't physically possible.

Regardless of the team ranking there is zero doubt that our recruiting has improved under Fleck and we have gone from classes filled with guys with little to no power 5 interest to classes full of players with lots of power 5 and Big Ten offers.

We aren't recruiting with the top of the Big Ten (OSU, PSU, Mich) but we are recruiting just as well as the vast majority of the conference

Tied to the size of the class and transfers don’t count. Same average as other teams but smaller classes mean a lot of kids aren’t leaving either.

Yep....we are screwed.....

Iowa - #6 - 2 four star - 16 three star
Minnesota - #14 - 2 four star - 16 three star

Have a hard time figuring out how their class would be 8 spots better than ours.
Yep, great point.

Xavier Nwankpa from Altoona, Iowa -- could've gone to any school he wanted to in the country -- and got a 98 5-star rating from 247, decides to stay home.

Compared to our Anthony Smith who is only a 92 4-star rating from 247.

That difference essentially bumped what are otherwise completely equivalent classes up from #14 to #7.

They should just use a scale of 1-10 with 1 sig fig.

Recruiting rankings only matter because they give fans something to bitch about

Top Bottom