Why are there CUB logos on the court?

Honest question: Why are there CUB logos on all four corners of the new court?

They've been there for years. It's called advertising. The U gets money from Cub to place those logos there, just like they get money from all of the companies who have signs around the arena, on the steps, underneath and on the scoreboard, on the basket brackets, on the basket cushions, on the walls, etc. They get money from companies who advertise in the game programs, on their radio broadcasts, on their ticket stubs, on their pocket schedules, posters, LED lights, and on their webpage, etc. Basically, if they can put a company name on it and a company will pay for it, they will slap your logo on it.

Actually, the Cub logos are tamed down this year. They are only white. In years past they were an eyesore because of the red logo.

This is irony defined. And, please quit shouting.

Rick Mons...Consider the source of BigGopherFan who called 99% of us uneducated, unrealistic, etc. because we picked the Gophers to beat Butler. Remember? :)

Sorry to upset you guys. I've never heard of CUB. Still don't know who and what they do. But that's ok. Perhaps they should do more advertising! ;)

Cub sells groceries. Makes me wish we had a grocery chain named "Gopher" or "Goldy"

I live about 900 miles South of MN. I have a brother-in-law (and family) in Roseville, but I have never heard of Cub. What really was confusing is I've never seen advertising ON the court. No mistaking the McD's on the steps, but I've never seen anything but team name, court name, arena name, coach's name, conference or NCAA logos placed ON the court. I don't think advertising has a place on the playing surface, but I'm not paying the bill. Advertising on the brand new hardwood is sad.

To add a little humor, I wondered if C.U.B. were the initials of some prominent person or group to the U. (former President or coach or somebody...??????)

I live about 900 miles South of MN. I have a brother-in-law (and family) in Roseville, but I have never heard of Cub. What really was confusing is I've never seen advertising ON the court. No mistaking the McD's on the steps, but I've never seen anything but team name, court name, arena name, coach's name, conference or NCAA logos placed ON the court. I don't think advertising has a place on the playing surface, but I'm not paying the bill. Advertising on the brand new hardwood is sad.

To add a little humor, I wondered if C.U.B. were the initials of some prominent person or group to the U. (former President or coach or somebody...??????)

That's funny. I could see how it would be confusing not knowing what the heck Cub was. The Cub signs are at least out of bounds, not on the actual playing surface itself. There are many courts that have ads in bounds:

uglycourt.jpg

sponso3.jpg

2298352.jpeg

QINQHUHBDUSTGXR.20090911145324

2406304794_8a70049285.jpg

With advertising beginning to show up on the jerseys' of the pros, I guess it won't be long before the college game follows suit. I am curious when/how you may have taken the picture of the Murray State court - Racer Arena

With advertising beginning to show up on the jerseys' of the pros, I guess it won't be long before the college game follows suit. I am curious when/how you may have taken the picture of the Murray State court - Racer Arena

I didn't take any of those pictures. Got them from a google search.

Cub wanted to buy the naming rights to the new Twins stadium, but it was decided having the Twins play in Cub field just would not work.

howeda7: Well done. :clap:

Thanks Don. But actually I did read that somewhere. They really did want to bid on the naming rights. I'm not sure who nixed it, Cub or the Twins.

Top Bottom