Who ya got winning it all as of right now?

Reaction score
I know the matchups are crucial in answering this question, but who do you think is going to win the Tourney this year? Also, who do you think is a sleeper to win it all?

I like Villanova... they just have so many talented guards that can score.
My (semi)-sleeper is Georgetown. When they are hitting 3's they can beat ANYONE.

Syracuse. Wes and Rautins are awesome. My other pick would be Kansas, but that's boring.

I don't like Villanova or Kentucky at all. Too inconsistent and inexperienced, respectively.

An interesting question on the survey would have been; do you fill out a big dance board?

I'll be looking here for tips.

Kansas.

If Purdue gets a #1 seed - I will have to wait for the matchups - but they could be the first ever #1 seed to lose in the first round.

No idea. Kansas looks the most complete, but they're flawed like everyone else. It won't surprise me when I fill out my brackets if I have a 3, 4 or 5 seed winning it all.

Kansas.

If Purdue gets a #1 seed - I will have to wait for the matchups - but they could be the first ever #1 seed to lose in the first round.
You seriously don't think Purdue is good enough to beat Coastal Carolina or w/e without Hummel? Give me a break.

Kansas.

I'm curious to see where the Gophers will be seeded. I'm thinking maybe a 4 or 5 seed.

Oh by the way, Painter OWNS Tubby.

Minnesota after winning the btt, making their run. I am going to go with Syracuse, based on hoping that they wont see Kansas or Kentuck till the NC.

Not quite. Painter is 5-4 against NW. According to the logic on this board though, Painter would own Carmody then, since Tubby supposedly owns Bo Ryan with a 3-2 record.

Does any other Big Ten coach have that bad of a record against Carmody?

Come on now RC. Of course any #1 seed is a favorite to win.

But without Hummel you have to admit they are a different team. They will still be favorites to win against a #16 obviously - but they are much less explosive. They will still play good interior D - but if their first round opponent can make a few threes, a lot of Purdue's offensive game is on the bench and it will be more difficult for them to respond than most #1 seeds.

All I'm saying is that it could be the most favorable matchup of a 1/16 for a 16 seed that we've seen in a while - and it could happen.

Come on now RC. Of course any #1 seed is a favorite to win.

But without Hummel you have to admit they are a different team. They will still be favorites to win against a #16 obviously - but they are much less explosive. They will still play good interior D - but if their first round opponent can make a few threes, a lot of Purdue's offensive game is on the bench and it will be more difficult for them to respond than most #1 seeds.

All I'm saying is that it could be the most favorable matchup of a 1/16 for a 16 seed that we've seen in a while - and it could happen.

First of all, this is one of the dumbest posts I've ever read.

Second, it's not likely that Purdue will get a #1 seed.

Third, even if they do without Hummel, they will destroy any #16 seed.

I am a huge Orange supporter, so I'd like to see the 'Cuse in a rematch of either the '96 title game against Kentucky, or a rematch of the '03 title game against Kansas.

Potential sleeper to make a run to Indy...Texas Longhorns, they have been forgotten, but have the talent to play with anyone and could easily be overlooked cuz they might be a 4, 5 or 6 seed.

I would throw out Ohio State as well. Maybe a 3 seed that could make a run, knock off a 2 seed, and then a 1 seed to get to the final four.

First of all, this is one of the dumbest posts I've ever read.

Second, it's not likely that Purdue will get a #1 seed.

Third, even if they do without Hummel, they will destroy any #16 seed.

Ummm...scan the board for 5 minutes, you can easily find "dumber" posts - that aren't an opinion, BTW. Are you kidding me?

Right now Purdue is a #1 seed, without question. If you really think they are not likely to get a #1 seed you are in fact admitting that the loss of Hummel significantly negatively affects this team to the point where they would drop seed(s) without him. You can't have it both ways.

I know how good of a team Minnesota has - and we all know it is not that good of a team. If you lose a player - then following the loss of that player you have a negative 23 point turnaround against a team like Minnesota, it is my opinion that it would not be likely that you could "destroy" an NCAA tournament team at a neutral site. Yes, you would still be favored, but it is my opinion that the gap is not that big - especially when you consider that unlike the Jackson injury PU will not have that much time to get used to playing without Hummel. Again, not saying they are one-and-done.....just saying the gap is closer than you think.

Don't let your loyalty to Purdue get in the way of common sense.

Right now Purdue is a #1 seed, without question. If you really think they are not likely to get a #1 seed you are in fact admitting that the loss of Hummel significantly negatively affects this team to the point where they would drop seed(s) without him. You can't have it both ways.

There are still games to play the committee will be looking at who is currently on the team. If Purdue wins out and wins the BTT, they will be a #1 - no doubt about that. But, if they falter in the slightest, their seed could be affected. If I *had* to put money on it, Purdue will most likely be a 2 seed. Without Hummel, they are still a very good team capable of knocking off anyone on any given night.

The 1 vs 16 seed stuff is flat out dumb.

Josh - if you disagree, I will give you 10 to 1 odds... Purdue, no matter their seed, will win their first round game. Let me know how much via private message.

Considering that no #1 seed has ever beaten a #16 seed in roughly 100 matchups all-time in the NCAA tournament I think 10-1 is pretty low odds. Either you are showing how little you believe in Purdue, or you are showing that you don't have a grasp of the history of the tournament and the odds - or maybe you think I'm unaware of these facts - not really sure.

Since we don't know who the first round matchup is for the boilers I can't give my firm prediction yet.

If you surrender a 23 point turnaround to the Golden Gophers I wouldn't feel as confident as you do.

Comparing a 23-point swing (it was actually only what, 11 for the whole game after Hummel left?) to what's going to happen in the future is ridiculous, and you know it. The entire Purdue team was running around like chickens with their heads cut off for 10 minutes. In future games they know they don't have Rob, they're prepared to play without Rob, they have a gameplan that doesn't include Rob, and they're not going to be in shock from losing their star teammate. The two situations are not similar whatsoever.

The entire Purdue team was running around like chickens with their heads cut off for 10 minutes.

You said it, not me.

And that, my friends, is why UK has no chance to win this thing.

I would say Kansas or Cuse, but sleepers:

West Va: They look like an NBA team with Ebanks and Butler. They struggle to shoot at times, but they have huge size and athleticism.

Kansas State: This is a really good team, should have beat KU earlier this year, headlined by great guard play. Pullen reminds me of Westbrook, but way smarter and an even better shooter. They are currently ranked 6th but get little respect. They also have size.

Considering that no #1 seed has ever beaten a #16 seed in roughly 100 matchups all-time in the NCAA tournament I think 10-1 is pretty low odds. Either you are showing how little you believe in Purdue, or you are showing that you don't have a grasp of the history of the tournament and the odds - or maybe you think I'm unaware of these facts - not really sure.

Since we don't know who the first round matchup is for the boilers I can't give my firm prediction yet.

If you surrender a 23 point turnaround to the Golden Gophers I wouldn't feel as confident as you do.

He said no matter what seed they are he'll give you 10-1. Purdue could drop 2 or 3 without Hummel and end up a #3 seed, and he'll still give you thoes odds.

I'm not sure why you think a 23 point turnaround means something, because it doesn't. They still won the game!!! If they were up 23 and won by 1 that might say something, but they were down after Hummel got hurt, they made adjustments and came back to win in a tough environment.

Do you watch a lot of basketball? Teams go on runs all the time.

And that, my friends, is why UK has no chance to win this thing.
Why? Because they lost to a quality conference opponent on the road? If that's true, Kansas is treading some mighty thin water at OK State right now.

Why? Because they lost to a quality conference opponent on the road? If that's true, Kansas is treading some mighty thin water at OK State right now.
I don't know if I'd really considering Tennessee quality anymore. But yes, that was one of only two tough road games for UK this season. They've played a cupcake schedule and it's going to show in the tournament. They're also very immature and have little idea how to handle late game trouble.

There's not nearly as much distance between Kansas/Kentucky and the rest of the field as people would have you believe. People have started to realize that now.

Not to hijack the thread but add to it; what is your strategy in filling out your pool board? Personally I try to pretty much pick the favorites through the sweet 16, that way when we get to the great 8 I am pretty much still in the hunt.(We have 35-40 in our pool. My thought process is that if there are say 4 upsets in round one and you pick the wrong 4 you are now 8 spots behind. Plus if you are 'in the hunt' during the great 8 and beyond it is more funner.

Top Bottom