Who would you like the Twolves to pick up?

[sarcasm]Well, they drafted three point guards last year, so this year I think they just need one. Cory Joseph.[/sarcasm]

I can envision a Evan Turner/Ricky Rubio backcourt.

We win the lottery...

#1: John Wall
#2: Evan Turner (trade Rubio to the Nets for this pick)

If we trade Jefferson our best player is already a PF. Why would we draft another one? I'm not sure what wing you think we could trade for either. Hopefully we don't get screwed in the lottery like usual. Our best option is Turner. There are a decent amount of other good wings in the draft this year as well.

Draft Cousins or Favors, trade Jefferson for a wing.

Wesley Johnson

You guys are selling Wesley Johnson short.

If you get the #1, you take Wall, find a way to trade Sessions, Flynn, and Rubio.
You get #2, take Turner, and envision a Turner/Rubio back court.

Get #3-5, take Wesley Johnson. He's very talented with a good all around game. I do agree that they should trade Love and Jefferson and take Favors or Cousins, but I doubt the Wolves will be able to get value for either one at this point. Take Wesley Johnson.

And trade back up into lottery to take Hassan Whiteside. He may be raw, and turn into a bust, but I think he has enough potential to take a chance on him. He looks legit.

If you cant get Whiteside, they better come away with a decent center with their other first round picks. Think Udoh or Aldrich. They need some shot blockers.

The NBA? Who cares. Go find a Timberwolves chat room -- if one exists. This is supposed to be for Gopher hoops.

The NBA? Who cares. Go find a Timberwolves chat room -- if one exists. This is supposed to be for Gopher hoops.

Oh, thanks Tombag for the post. Nice typing.

Now off to bed and let the adults talk.

If I'm working in the ticket selling side rather than the player side, I would hope that they move up with their 2nd pick and take Aldrich. I don't think that they can rationalize taking him wherever they land 1 - 5.

If I'm working in the ticket selling side rather than the player side, I would hope that they move up with their 2nd pick and take Aldrich. I don't think that they can rationalize taking him wherever they land 1 - 5.

If you take Aldrich with the second pick it'll make Joe Smith's contract look like a great idea.

You sell MAYBE a few hundred extra season tickets best case scenario and after a year, where it's apparent that he's too mechanical and stiff to be anything but a role player and your team still sucks? You're going to lose 75% of those the next season and you wasted a prime pick by passing on a talent like Turner-who maybe (at worst) develops into nothing more than a solid NBA 2 Guard but that's a sight better than being stuck with Joel Pryzbilla 2.0.

Aldrich is a great kid and is from here, but he's not exactly going to move the needle when it comes to ticket sales over the long haul.

If you take Aldrich with the second pick it'll make Joe Smith's contract look like a great idea.

You sell MAYBE a few hundred extra season tickets best case scenario and after a year, where it's apparent that he's too mechanical and stiff to be anything but a role player and your team still sucks? You're going to lose 75% of those the next season and you wasted a prime pick by passing on a talent like Turner-who maybe (at worst) develops into nothing more than a solid NBA 2 Guard but that's a sight better than being stuck with Joel Pryzbilla 2.0.

I'm pretty sure he means the Wolves second pick which is around 16. We would need to get up around 11 or so to have a shot at Cole.

Aldrich has a lot of work to do at the next level. Wall would sell more tickets, but we would have to trade Rubio or Flynn before the draft for a future pick for it to make sence. I would prefer adding Turner to the current roster, almost hope we get the #2 pick.

I see. I misread it. My mistake.

I would not, under any circumstances, trade up for Cole Aldrich because the same scenario applies. A second rounder with no guaranteed money at stake? Sure (not that he'll come even close to falling that far. A decent big in the NBA is like fried gold) but not in the first round. I've been preaching this for two years but the Wolves need athleticism in the frontcourt in the worst way. Trading up for Udoh (which I think somebody mentioned) would be a great pick. Someone earlier mentioned Hassan Whiteside: Whiteside's a huge gamble and I wouldn't want to be the guy who had to pull that trigger. But like I said, bigs=fried goal in the NBA.

Truth you seem to be the resident Kentucky expert on this board. What would you say is the most likely and worst case possibilities for Wall? We all know that under the best case Wall is the best PG in the NBA for a decade atleast.

I see. I misread it. My mistake.

I would not, under any circumstances, trade up for Cole Aldrich because the same scenario applies. A second rounder with no guaranteed money at stake? Sure (not that he'll come even close to falling that far. A decent big in the NBA is like fried gold) but not in the first round. I've been preaching this for two years but the Wolves need athleticism in the frontcourt in the worst way. Trading up for Udoh (which I think somebody mentioned) would be a great pick. Someone earlier mentioned Hassan Whiteside: Whiteside's a huge gamble and I wouldn't want to be the guy who had to pull that trigger. But like I said, bigs=fried goal in the NBA.

Yep, this is the time that David Kahn earns that fat pay-check of his.

I like Udoh, I think he looks like/plays like an athletic NBA big(which I agree is what we need desperately), like I said my fear is that in trying to move up to get a player, that we lose the number of picks that we have. I think our pick at #23 could be somebody like Crawford or Pondexter, who have alot of promise as pro's.

We'll see I guess. With all the trade possibilties and the lottery still to be done, the variables are a bit staggering.

Aldrich will be solid

Aldrich will be a solid NBA player. NBA drafts are not deep, and if you can land a solid big in the teens, it is a good pick. Aldrich may be the first true center on the board. Cousins, Favors, Whiteside, and Monroe may all go before Aldrich, but an argument can be made that they are all power forwards. If the Wolves had a Turner, Aldrich, another wing @23 draft, that would be a great draft.

And at @23, don't forget the name Paul George.

Truth you seem to be the resident Kentucky expert on this board. What would you say is the most likely and worst case possibilities for Wall? We all know that under the best case Wall is the best PG in the NBA for a decade atleast.

Worst case? Kenny Anderson.

Most likely? Aaron Brooks in a 2 Guard's body. And I say that with a slight bit of trepidation. This kid is committed to being the best in every aspect and it's hard for me to compare a kid of his age to some all time greats. Wouldn't be shocked if his "low" ceiling was the same as Rose's with a big edge in pure speed to Wall.

There's a reason that pretty much every NBA GM has said on and off the record that they'd take him if they had the pick and keep him. Even teams with great, young PG's like Chicago, Utah or New Orleans. You just plug him in the backcourt and figure it out.

From talking to people that I know on the sales side, they all love the idea of Aldrich. Not because they think he will put a$$es in the seats, but they see a great upside in advertising sales. Plus, he is a great kid. I've known him for quite a while, and he is 100% a great kid.

Aldrich will be a solid NBA player. NBA drafts are not deep, and if you can land a solid big in the teens, it is a good pick. Aldrich may be the first true center on the board. Cousins, Favors, Whiteside, and Monroe may all go before Aldrich, but an argument can be made that they are all power forwards. If the Wolves had a Turner, Aldrich, another wing @23 draft, that would be a great draft.

And at @23, don't forget the name Paul George.

Yeah, that's true, I like Aldrich too, just not sure we lose picks to get him,

BUT....

Turner
Aldrich
George or Crawford

I'd be happy with that.

Well, if Chuck Hayes can start for the Rockets anything's possible. But there are a lot of people in the rank and file (scouting and front office types) in the NBA who are split over Aldrich's potential and place in the NBA. He might sell a few more snowblowers for Bob's Hardware Emporium and get a bump in the ad rates but I think the T-wolves would be more concerned about putting butts in the seats, building a solid foundation and becoming a playoff contender again.

I don't think many people realize how bad it is around the league. The NBA is at a crossroads and a couple of people that I do know that work in and around the league are genuinely scared about the leagues future because Stern won't face facts (that the WNBA is an expensive failure, that the D-League is not going to supplant college basketball in terms of national interest, and that contraction needs to take place) and is going to go hardball with players again.

Cole is not a star in Minnesota, he would not sell anymore tickets, only Wall would sell more season tickets

Cole is not a star in Minnesota, he would not sell anymore tickets, only Wall would sell more season tickets

True. Also, winning.

That's why I like Turner. If we get the first pick, Wall will get chosen, no question, though I think Turner may ultimately be the better player.

I do think Aldrich could work in the triangle offense,(I do like Udoh's upside more)..... the sooner we fill spots with quality players, the sooner we start tallying some wins, the sooner they sell tickets.

Well, if Chuck Hayes can start for the Rockets anything's possible. But there are a lot of people in the rank and file (scouting and front office types) in the NBA who are split over Aldrich's potential and place in the NBA. He might sell a few more snowblowers for Bob's Hardware Emporium and get a bump in the ad rates but I think the T-wolves would be more concerned about putting butts in the seats, building a solid foundation and becoming a playoff contender again.

I don't think many people realize how bad it is around the league. The NBA is at a crossroads and a couple of people that I do know that work in and around the league are genuinely scared about the leagues future because Stern won't face facts (that the WNBA is an expensive failure, that the D-League is not going to supplant college basketball in terms of national interest, and that contraction needs to take place) and is going to go hardball with players again.

Great post, it does feel like an implosion is possible, doesn't it?

Great post. A few quick question and a few comments.
Questions
1. Have any WNBA teams been profitable at any time?
2. What teams are in "danger" of being contracted?
3. Would moving teams to other markets be possible instead of contraction?
4. Where do you stand on Aldrich.

Comments
1. Lose the D-League. It hasn't worked and will never work.
2. The best thing for the Wolves is if Taylor sells them to someone who is committed to making it work.
3. The last time I was in the Target Center a few years ago it could have used a update then. Not a full scale renovation but some money would help for sure.
3. Kahn has been a step in the right direction. Hopefully he can keep the Wolves going in the same direction.

Kahn drafted back to back pg's, and didn't get Curry or Jennings, that is terrible

1. Turner
2. Wall - Lots of trading to do in this case
3. Favors - Trade Love, Favors more athletic, might be able to play Favors and Jefferson together. This would add a year to two to the development process.

There is no way the Wolves take Aldrich. Not athletic enough to fit what they are looking for.

Top Bottom