Who wins an NCAA tourney game first: Pitino at Minnesota or Tubby at Texas Tech?

Who wins an NCAA tourney game first: Pitino at Minnesota or Tubby at Texas Tech?

• Pitino at Minnesota

Votes: 101 83.5%
  • Tubby at Texas Tech

Votes: 20 16.5%

• Total voters
"Incredible lonshot for the Gophers to even have a chance." LULZ

All we lose is Mbakwe, which will hurt but Rodney didn't do $hit for us this year. Welch leaving is addition by subtraction. Ingram was a nice role player, but that won't stop us from making the tournament. We bring back everyone else, including our entire backcourt. Not to mention Pitino will probably add a recruit or two to the 2013 class which could help solidify the front court. At the end of the day we lost one major contributor off a team that won a tournament game and managed a way to be ranked in the top 10 in the country at one point.

So , I don't think it's a a long shot for the Gophers to have a chance at the tourney.

That's an interesting analysis/rationalization, but let's be realistic. Who is going to anchor the frontcourt next season? Without Mbakwe, it's going to be difficult to run the floor like Pitino wants with Elliason and Walker. Dre is going to be good and Austin is a decent wing player but I don't like Coleman's game whatsoever, and.....who else is there? Yes, Pitino is going to add a player or two and perhaps Buckles will be eligible, but who knows what he is going to bring to the table? I think Minnesota will be toward the bottom of the the league next season but should be on its way up after that. Not worried, but just tempering my expectations for next season.

OK, I'm stumped - who is "buckles?"

I suspect that Pitino is going to play "small" as much as possible next year. remember, Joe Coleman's best game as a Gopher came in a wide-open, end-to-end game. I would not be surprised if Coleman does not benefit more than any other player from the change in style/coaching.

Also, I hope/suspect that Eliason has some upside that a different coach can bring out.

I think the Gophs have a decent chance of making the tournament next year, providing they stay healthy. I also expect to see Andre Hollins put up a few more games like Memphis (not predicting 41ppg, but I would not be shocked if he averages in the high teens/lower 20's next year.)

"Incredible lonshot for the Gophers to even have a chance." LULZ

All we lose is Mbakwe, which will hurt but Rodney didn't do $hit for us this year. Welch leaving is addition by subtraction. Ingram was a nice role player, but that won't stop us from making the tournament. We bring back everyone else, including our entire backcourt. Not to mention Pitino will probably add a recruit or two to the 2013 class which could help solidify the front court. At the end of the day we lost one major contributor off a team that won a tournament game and managed a way to be ranked in the top 10 in the country at one point.

So , I don't think it's a a long shot for the Gophers to have a chance at the tourney.

I don't see how you can say the Gophers were a top ten team at one point but Rodney contributed little. He was a big reason they got to No. 8...and a big reason they didn't hold form as the season progressed. If you want to say we lose only Trevor off the season-ending team, because Rodney's contributions had become inconsistent by then, that's fine, but it's not the hopelessly inconsistent season-ending Gophers team that is the foundation for your optimism.

I feel comfortable saying this:

I had no problem with the results in Tubby's first three seasons. If Richard Pitino takes the Gophers to two NCAA tourneys in his first three seasons, I'd take that. Hopefully there's a NCAA win or two sprinkled in there, too. That won't be an easy task for Pitino.

It's Years 4, 5, and 6 where I'd hope to see a significant leap. That's where Tubby's momentum stalled.

To answer the question posed above, I'd definitely go with Pitino. He's inheriting a much better situation than Tubby.

+1

When Tubby doesn't make the tournament who will he throw under the bus? It's certainly not going to be his fault or his coaching!

When Tubby doesn't make the tournament who will he throw under the bus? It's certainly not going to be his fault or his coaching!

tubby will blame trevor mbakwe.

i stand by what i predicted a few years back, pitino will win an ncaa tournament game here first. tubby got there first, but that wasn't the op question.

i stand by what i predicted a few years back, pitino will win an ncaa tournament game here first. tubby got there first, but that wasn't the op question.

85% of us just breathed a sigh of relief!

Last check Tubby's Red Guys were a 4 point dog to Butler. I was surprised they got in with 9 and 9 league record. They beat some very good teams during the year. Tubby will beat Butler thus the 85% of us breathing a sigh of relief will gasp in disappointment.

Now for the next pole. Who will win more NCAA games during their careers with their current teams?

Last check Tubby's Red Guys were a 4 point dog to Butler. I was surprised they got in with 9 and 9 league record. They beat some very good teams during the year. Tubby will beat Butler thus the 85% of us breathing a sigh of relief will gasp in disappointment. Now for the next pole. Who will win more NCAA games during their careers with their current teams?

.... But they just lost to Butler

Last check Tubby's Red Guys were a 4 point dog to Butler. I was surprised they got in with 9 and 9 league record. They beat some very good teams during the year. Tubby will beat Butler thus the 85% of us breathing a sigh of relief will gasp in disappointment.

Now for the next pole. Who will win more NCAA games during their careers with their current teams?
Well what's that's saying about counting your chickens before they hatch?

want to bet on the outcome of the game? i'll even give you 9.5 points.

Saul....

You silly rascal, you hanging out at 508 club again?

want to bet on the outcome of the game? i'll even give you 9.5 points.

Probably not but thanks for the offer. More important question is would you like to use any of my future prognostications to place a Vegas bet. You can certainly tell how good I am

Top Bottom