Who wins an NCAA tourney game first: Pitino at Minnesota or Tubby at Texas Tech?

Who wins an NCAA tourney game first: Pitino at Minnesota or Tubby at Texas Tech?

• Pitino at Minnesota

Votes: 101 83.5%
  • Tubby at Texas Tech

Votes: 20 16.5%

• Total voters

El Amin Fan

Reaction score

TT with Tubby probably won't even sniff the tournament during his tenure (unless your talking CBI).

Now that's a one sided Poll to start in Gopherhole.

Considering Pitino is starting with an NIT squad that could be a bubble team if it overachieves, while Tubby is starting with a dumpster fire, I should hope it's Rich.

The U should return next year and Rich will have the team ready.

What a genius! Rich get tubbys very solid 34 RPI team... and Tubby gets a 216 rpi team....WOW a tough choice

If Tubby still has the fire and is still a top tier coach why in heck has he landed at TT with a 216 RPI team? Just asking.

If Tubby still has the fire and is still a top tier coach why in heck has he landed at TT with a 216 RPI team? Just asking.

It's a major conference job. What was the Gophers RPI the year before we got Tubby?

Tubby isn't getting anywhere near the tournament anytime soon. We should be going into next season expecting a tourney berth. I'll go with Pitino.

And yet...11 trolls like you voted that Tubby would get their first...amazing.[/Q Lets see who shows more improvement in team RPI next season Texas Tech or Gophers ... Only folks lacking in confidence, knowledge, maturity and or character make a habit of name calling to folks who disagree with them. You must have had a nasty childhood

What was the Gophers RPI the year before we got Tubby?

In 2006-07 Gophers finished with a #190 RPI. It improved to #101 in Tubby's first season.

For what its' worth, FIU's RPI went from #251 in Isiah Thomas' last season to #111 in Pitino's one and only season.

Other tidbits. FIU was 2-6 vs. NCAA qualifiers this past season, beating Middle Tennessee (61-57) and Western Kentucky (87-82). The losses came against Louisville, Middle Tennessee (twice), FGCU (76-73) and Western Kentucky (twice). Against Big 6 schools FIU lost 79-55 @ Louisville and 84-70 @ BC.

I think Rich will make the tourney before Tubby, not sure which will win a game first.

Tubby isn't getting anywhere near the tournament anytime soon. We should be going into next season expecting a tourney berth. I'll go with Pitino.

Unless the Coach Pitino lands some combo of the "Big 3" I don't see the Gophers making the NCAA Tournament in the forseeable future.

Next year will be tough given how this season ended and what they lose to graduation. I see the Gophers battling with Penn State, Nebraska, and NW towards the bottom of the conference. Those 3 teams should be improved and the Gophers not so much.

A new coach could breathe fresh air into the program and perhaps get them to overachieve. Should be an interesting 2013-2014 season.

Unless the Coach Pitino lands some combo of the "Big 3" I don't see the Gophers making the NCAA Tournament in the forseeable future.

Next year will be tough given how this season ended and what they lose to graduation. I see the Gophers battling with Penn State, Nebraska, and NW towards the bottom of the conference. Those 3 teams should be improved and the Gophers not so much.

A new coach could breathe fresh air into the program and perhaps get them to overachieve. Should be an interesting 2013-2014 season.

See FIU!!!

Expecting a berth? We don't even have a frontcourt anymore. Mbakwe is a gigantic loss for this team. I'm hoping that we'll make it but realistically it will be an incredible longshot for the Gophers to even have a chance. Next year will be a down year unless Dre morphs into one of the best players in the country.

Expecting a berth? We don't even have a frontcourt anymore. Mbakwe is a gigantic loss for this team. I'm hoping that we'll make it but realistically it will be an incredible longshot for the Gophers to even have a chance. Next year will be a down year unless Dre morphs into one of the best players in the country.

"Incredible lonshot for the Gophers to even have a chance." LULZ

All we lose is Mbakwe, which will hurt but Rodney didn't do $hit for us this year. Welch leaving is addition by subtraction. Ingram was a nice role player, but that won't stop us from making the tournament. We bring back everyone else, including our entire backcourt. Not to mention Pitino will probably add a recruit or two to the 2013 class which could help solidify the front court. At the end of the day we lost one major contributor off a team that won a tournament game and managed a way to be ranked in the top 10 in the country at one point.

So , I don't think it's a a long shot for the Gophers to have a chance at the tourney.

"Incredible lonshot for the Gophers to even have a chance." LULZ

All we lose is Mbakwe, which will hurt but Rodney didn't do $hit for us this year. Welch leaving is addition by subtraction. Ingram was a nice role player, but that won't stop us from making the tournament. We bring back everyone else, including our entire backcourt. Not to mention Pitino will probably add a recruit or two to the 2013 class which could help solidify the front court. At the end of the day we lost one major contributor off a team that won a tournament game and managed a way to be ranked in the top 10 in the country at one point.

So , I don't think it's a a long shot for the Gophers to have a chance at the tourney.

We shall see who Pitino brings in but having NO ONE in the front court is a huge problem in the B10.

Tubby is a CBI/NIT coach. I'm hoping Rich can develop into a solid big ten recruiter and coach and get us to the Dance in 2015.

TT is a rebuild job, so it is reasonable that it would take TT longer to get back to the NCAA tournament.

Considering Pitino is starting with an NIT squad that could be a bubble team if it overachieves, while Tubby is starting with a dumpster fire, I should hope it's Rich.

I voted Pitino as well, but don't forget that in one year here Smith took over a 9-22 team and coached them to 20 wins and an NIT berth.

I feel comfortable saying this:

I had no problem with the results in Tubby's first three seasons. If Richard Pitino takes the Gophers to two NCAA tourneys in his first three seasons, I'd take that. Hopefully there's a NCAA win or two sprinkled in there, too. That won't be an easy task for Pitino.

It's Years 4, 5, and 6 where I'd hope to see a significant leap. That's where Tubby's momentum stalled.

To answer the question posed above, I'd definitely go with Pitino. He's inheriting a much better situation than Tubby.

We shall see who Pitino brings in but having NO ONE in the front court is a huge problem in the B10.

Still A Goofer: So in your expert opinion; Mo, EE, Buggs, Buckles, Otto, Halvorson, & Foster with a coach = "NO ONE"?

Top Bottom