Who will start Saturday's game vs. Michigan State?

• Total voters

GopherJake

Reaction score

Sampson
Carter
Johnson
Hoffarber
Nolen

Good point. I didn't consider Carter/Hoffarber.

I guess I was wondering if LW would get benched in place of Devoe, but there are (obviously) other possibilities.

I would rephrase my poll question, but it doesn't seem like I can, to:

Will LW start Saturday?

Will LW be more motivated by being in the starting line-up or by coming off the bench?

That will be for Tubby to decide.

I agree that will be for Tubby to decide I'm not sure what basis the thread is thinking he may not start. Why would he not start? He missed A and M because of the thing with Nolen and one other non con start because of an injury.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/60327/gamelog

I agree that will be for Tubby to decide I'm not sure what basis the thread is thinking he may not start. Why would he not start? He missed A and M because of the thing with Nolen and one other non con start because of an injury.

The basis is that he was benched last game. Not to mention that Devoe, in his stead, played out-of-his-mind - at least offensively - and in a very similar style and role as LW. (I thought that was pretty obvious.)

The better question is who should start? Westbrook shouldn't start and it wouldn't make me sad if he didn't play the rest of the year.

Maybe because in the last game he played 7 minutes in the second half and I believe 0 in OT. How he reacted to that, I don't know.

Jake

The basis is that he was benched last game. Not to mention that Devoe, in his stead, played out-of-his-mind - at least offensively - and in a very similar style and role as LW. (I thought that was pretty obvious.)

Agreed.

I do lean towards Carter starting in place of Westbrook because Carter has offense and rebounding skills.

Rebounding may be more important against MSU than 3 guards.

Just, IMHO.

For one game. Otherwise Devoe has been in a serious sophomore slump this year. We're playing Michigan State not Indiana. Westbrook had 15, Joseph had 1, the last time we played them. I think Joseph's a great player. He won't start Saturday though.

Maybe because in the last game he played 7 minutes in the second half and I believe 0 in OT. How he reacted to that, I don't know.

He melted down last game. No doubt about it. We need the best chance to win Saturday. Westbrook starting will provide it.

Assuming we don't have a couple more guys wearing suits instead of uniforms. ...

Nolen
Westbrook
Joseph
Johnson
Sampson

Sparty has bigs (Sherman & Nix), but their best lineup is going small. ... some combination of Lucas, Summers, Morgan, Roe, Allen, Green (their most versatile player comes off the bench) and Lucious.

I think we'll best counter that by going small. Carter should get a lot of burn for the Gophers as well. If we try to go big, I think they'll kill us. The pace & athleticism of this game probably means Iverson won't play as much. Just my 2 cents.

Devoe has been in a serious sophomore slump this year. I think Joseph's a great player.

How can it be a sophomore slump when hes playing at about the same level as last season? What has he done as a Gopher for you to consider him a great player?

Season Averages
SEASON TEAM MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
2008-2009 MINN 16.7 5.0 1.8 1.5 1.7 .91 .8 .1 .8 .400 .529 .373 1.06
2009-2010 MINN 19.8 8.5 2.3 2.4 1.3 1.83 .8 .0 1.2 .396 .656 .333 1.10

If Tubby is upset enough to sit LW, I think Carter deserves the nod.

Assuming we don't have a couple more guys wearing suits instead of uniforms. ...

Nolen
Westbrook
Joseph
Johnson
Sampson

Bench Blake for Joseph, not going to happen.

How can it be a sophomore slump when hes playing at about the same level as last season? What has he done as a Gopher for you to consider him a great player?

Season Averages
SEASON TEAM MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
2008-2009 MINN 16.7 5.0 1.8 1.5 1.7 .91 .8 .1 .8 .400 .529 .373 1.06
2009-2010 MINN 19.8 8.5 2.3 2.4 1.3 1.83 .8 .0 1.2 .396 .656 .333 1.10

If Tubby is upset enough to sit LW, I think Carter deserves the nod.

One stat that stands out for me is 1.83 vs. 0.91 - a doubling of Assists/TOs. Also 3.5 more PPG - about a point/minute of increased PT. Also, one more assist per game in 3 more minutes.

I think he has done better than people give him credit for, notwithstanding his poor shooting. Everybody loves LW's grit, tenacity and willingness to take the shot. Devoe has the exact same qualities. He's still young.......

Same starting five as the past few games, Tubby sticks to the plan IMO.

sunday

Nolen
Westbrook
Joseph
Johnson
Sampson

Sparty has bigs (Sherman & Nix), but their best lineup is going small. ... some combination of Lucas, Summers, Morgan, Roe, Allen, Green (their most versatile player comes off the bench) and Lucious.

I think we'll best counter that by going small. Carter should get a lot of burn for the Gophers as well. If we try to go big, I think they'll kill us. The pace & athleticism of this game probably means Iverson won't play as much. Just my 2 cents.

Respectfully disagree.

Tubby loves Blake. End of story.

I would be 100% shocked if Blake doesn't start.

If Devoe starts I believe it will be Westy who sits.

One stat that stands out for me is 1.83 vs. 0.91 - a doubling of Assists/TOs. Also 3.5 more PPG - about a point/minute of increased PT. Also, one more assist per game in 3 more minutes.

I think he has done better than people give him credit for, notwithstanding his poor shooting.

That's partially my point, why do so many people say he's in a sophomore slump? He's shooting percentages are very close to last year's numbers. When people say Devoe is in a slump it implies he was much better last season. He's shown he has ability and is taking better care of the ball, but certainly hasn't been great or proven he will be.

Westbrook should be benched because of one bad game and one good game by Joseph?

Tubby was clearly ticked-off at Mr. Westbrook. Mad enough to punish him beyond the 7 minutes in the second half and OT? Lawrence will likely start.

One stat from above that surprised me the most; Devoe is a career .593 from the charity stripe. Everybody talks about Iverson, for a SG Joseph's percentage is equally lacking. He has improved to .656 this year, I just assumed he was a 75% FT guy.

Well, things might change now, as I said earlier, given the fact that Nolen probably isn't playing on Saturday.

I am thinking Tubby starts Cobbs, Joseph, Hoff, Johnson and Sampson with Nolen out. I think he's going to let Westbrook stew a bit-unless he has a great week in practice.

I am thinking Tubby starts Cobbs, Joseph, Hoff, Johnson and Sampson with Nolen out. I think he's going to let Westbrook stew a bit-unless he has a great week in practice.

Could be the line-up. Cobbs has been playing aside Joseph most the year, assisting him bring the ball up. Mich. State is going to attack.

I have a bad feeling that Tubby might start Joseph at pg. I think Lucas is going to destroy us on Saturday.

Before I vote, can you please clarify...does Hosea have any eligibility left?

Top Bottom