Who will replace Payton, Big Jon, JAS and Busch?

Mikie S

Reaction score
With the Gophers' bottom four scorers (four of the bottom five in minutes played) leaving, there are some huge fannies to replace at the end of the bench. Will they come from the established players like Bostick (the lone returner among the bottom five in minutes), Hoffarber and/or Paul Carter, or will some of the new guys like Justin Cobbs and/or Rodney Williams polish their game (and the bench) from the sidelines?

See, this is what I was saying in the Rodney Williams thread. You can't have 13 guys on your roster average 10+ minutes a game. Somebody has to not play.

Why even ask the question?:confused:

Why even ask the question?

Probably because it mid April and there is not much else to speculate on at this point...

Probably because it mid April and there is not much else to speculate on at this point...

No kidding. I'm a little surprised at the response to the original question. Who are the ones an an increasingly talented roster (we hope) who are going to have to sit out? That seems like a pretty legitimate topic right about now.

And for what it's worth, I'd guess Williams and Cobbs to start with. It also seems like Carter and White will fight each other for minutes and one will lose.

I actually think this is an interesting way of thinking about our team next year. The bottom four from this year to next is a good indication of how far we'll have come in a single year and since Tubby has taken over.

I'd say Cobbs, Hoff, Rodney, Bostick to start the year but then Nolen, Carter, Rodney, and Allen to end the year (in no particular order). Using Bryant Allen may be cheating a bit since he won't join the team until the B10 slate (that is, if the football team makes a bowl game (fingers crossed)).

Tubby had 11 different players lead the team in scoring this year. I was amazed how he could find so much playing time for eleven + players this year. I think he can improve on that next year. There are 200 total player minutes in a game available (5 X 40). 200 / 13 = 15 minutes + per game. It used to bug me when Dutcher would only play 7 or 8 players so I like playing more players. BUT - I am not sure I understand Tubby's substitution patterns but heck lets go for 13 players playing 15+ minutes a game. Or maybe Tubby could turn the substitution patterns over to an assistant like IZZO and Tubby could concentrate on player motivation and defense.

If you include Bryant Allen and Dawson as walk-ons - you could have 3 complete 5 man substitution teams to substitute at a time and you could have 15 players each averaging 13.3 minutes per game.

Now that would be tough for opposing teams to prepare for!

I can see the point others are making, especially those who note there isn't as much to talk about during the offseason. I just have a problem asking the question "so who's not going to be good enough to play next year?" Sounds a little sour to me.

Anyhow, to answer the original question, I would say everybody and nobody. And I mean this quite literally. Tubby has a reputation for playing tons of guys. He did it with this year's team and I expect he'll probably do much the same next year. I suspect that who sees playing time will be determined largely by situation.

At this point, its almost impossible to say who's going to play and who's not. Obviously, there will be guys who will play a lot more than others, especially amongst the returners. But trying to figure out who the final four off the bench will be is a tough one at this juncture.

The way I see it, we are going to play everyone except for Rodney Williams, bostick and the walk-ons

Assuming hoffarber figures out his shot again he is a very valuable member of a team that lacks smart fundamental players

Those that are saying Paul Carter won't play are crazy...he played very well at times this year and he was only a sophomore and he fits Tubby's style perfectly

Starting 5: Nolen, Joseph, Johnson, Carter, Sampson

next 6: Cobbs, Westbrook, Hoffarber, Mbakwe, Iverson, White

Bench: Bostick, Walk-ons, williams

If cobbs isnt good enough, then westbrook/hoffarber will start and joseph will again be a backup point guard

Rodney Williams was a border-line almost 5 star guy nearly all year, and is still a strong 4 star. Why is everyone so willing to throw him to the end of the bench? Sure he may be a bit raw, but I just can't see him not playing.

I predict Rodney will be put in to change momentum, press and run and play defense. If we are having trouble at home against somebody a Rodney Williams run out dunk could be a momentum changer that lights up the crowd and starts a run. His athleticism should be great in pressing situations.

Beej..... finally an intelligent comment from you. I agree with your prediction. Thank you.

PG

Joseph provided solid minutes at times and considering that he was just a FR and his transition to MN was probably as difficult as anyone's I think PG is his position to lose; it will be interesting to see how he develops. Assuming Nolen is more of a backup, if Cobbs is in fact more of a natural PG, his development will be even more intriguing to watch---if Cobbs should somehow emerge as a starting PG, it creates quite a log jam amongsth the shooters...

Beej..... finally an intelligent comment from you. I agree with your prediction. Thank you.

Ummm... Beej knows his basketball. Over the years he has consistently provide sane commentary/predictions about the Gophers. Your comment says far more about you than him.

Why do you feel the need to so constantly insult people here?

Joseph provided solid minutes at times and considering that he was just a FR and his transition to MN was probably as difficult as anyone's I think PG is his position to lose; it will be interesting to see how he develops. Assuming Nolen is more of a backup, if Cobbs is in fact more of a natural PG, his development will be even more intriguing to watch---if Cobbs should somehow emerge as a starting PG, it creates quite a log jam amongsth the shooters...

joseph isnt a point guard, he plays a lot better off the ball, he just played there this year when nolan needed a break or nolan was playing like crap.

The way I see it, we are going to play everyone except for Rodney Williams, bostick and the walk-ons

Assuming hoffarber figures out his shot again he is a very valuable member of a team that lacks smart fundamental players

Those that are saying Paul Carter won't play are crazy...he played very well at times this year and he was only a sophomore and he fits Tubby's style perfectly

Starting 5: Nolen, Joseph, Johnson, Carter, Sampson

next 6: Cobbs, Westbrook, Hoffarber, Mbakwe, Iverson, White

Bench: Bostick, Walk-ons, williams

If cobbs isnt good enough, then westbrook/hoffarber will start and joseph will again be a backup point guard

i dont agree with your lineups but they are plausable. Looking at your lineup, gopher basketball is on the rise when the first 5 off the bench could beat our starting 5 it speaks volume to our young and deep team

Jon and Payton didn't really play, so you're not really "replacing" them. JAS and Hoffarber are largely interchangeable and redundant IMO and the writing on the wall was there for Busch. Thanks for your time and effort, but you won't be seeing much floor time.

The big question for Minny is how are they going to find time for so many players?

The top 9 scorers are back. They add 4 players that probably think they're going to play and will have the chance to earn PT. 2 of them (White and Mbakwe) are almost certain to do so. Even figuring Bostick loses what he had, and I wouldn't be surprised if things really "clicked" for him, you're at a minimum 10 man rotation.

Replacing players isn't an issue. Finding time is going to be a bigger issue.

Tubby will have no problem rotating them all if he needs to looking for the right combos and best team. I'm just hoping a good rotation emerges a little sooner. I think tubs was quite frustrated that answers were so difficult to come by this year. To tie it back to the original question, they'll all get limited minutes until they prove their value on the court within Tubbies system. I'm just looking to a time when we kinda know what we have. maybe the year after this there won't be so much flux. really our season opening starting five could be completely different than our ending starting group and there would be little surprises.

15 Players, 200 Minutes

F Mbakwe 20, White 20, Johnson 15, Carter 15, Williams 10, Dawson 0

C Sampson 20, Iverson 20

G Westbrook 20, Nolen 20, Joseph 15, Hoffarber 10, Bostick 10, Cobbs 5, Allen 0

Maybe.

F Mbakwe 20, White 20, Johnson 15, Carter 15, Williams 10, Dawson 0

C Sampson 20, Iverson 20

G Westbrook 20, Nolen 20, Joseph 15, Hoffarber 10, Bostick 10, Cobbs 5, Allen 0

Maybe.

That reads about right with only a couple "if's".

If Nolan struggles, I think you will see lots of Cobb.

I think Mbakwe will get more time during the Big Ten season if he is the rebounder everyone hopes he will be.

If White or Williams struggle at all, look for more minutes for Johnson. Johnson is the heart and soul of this team imo.

With the Gophers' bottom four scorers (four of the bottom five in minutes played) leaving, there are some huge fannies to replace at the end of the bench. Will they come from the established players like Bostick (the lone returner among the bottom five in minutes), Hoffarber and/or Paul Carter, or will some of the new guys like Justin Cobbs and/or Rodney Williams polish their game (and the bench) from the sidelines?

Hoffarber and Nolen

Top Bottom