Who will replace Jim Panagos as Gophers Defensive Line Coach?

hungan1

Reaction score
Jim Panagos is a New Yorker who played football at Maryland and has coached at Rutgers before. So, this is sort of a homecoming for him being closer to his roots. Good Luck to him.

I don't see any announcements as to who will be the new Defensive Line Coach for the Gophers. I suppose this will wait until after the Outback Bowl. There is usually a coaches conference after the bowl games. I suppose that is where coaching recruiting will go full steam for most football programs.

Jim Panagos is a New Yorker who played football at Maryland and has coached at Rutgers before. So, this is sort of a homecoming for him being closer to his roots. Good Luck to him.

I don't see any announcements as to who will be the new Defensive Line Coach for the Gophers. I suppose this will wait until after the Outback Bowl. There is usually a coaches conference after the bowl games. I suppose that is where coaching recruiting will go full steam for most football programs.

In an interview PJ said he'd be interviewing lots of candidates at that coaches convention.

Also said Panagos has sick parents that played a role in his move.

Hopefully the best candidate is in-house already. Best case scenario imo.

In looking for a DL coach, we don't need a mere replacement, we need an upgrade. Our lack of pass rush from front four has been apparent. However, the poor performance in tackles for loss is maybe even more concerning. As evidence consider the graphic from PitinoFan post #31 from the "Kirk Ciarocca a Possibility for the Texas OC job" thread.

There are 3 areas out of 16 where the 2019 Gophers were below the average B1G performance. They were 1) offensive 1st and 10 plays about 6% below B1G average by my eyeball measure (sorry) and 2) defensive 1st and 10 plays about 12% below B1G. Both of these were almost unchanged from 2015-19 Gopher performance so they could be viewed as continuing opportunities for continuous improvement.
Area 3) Tackles for loss is much worse. The 2015-19 Gopher average is about 12% below B1G but the 2019 Gopher performance is only 12% which is 48% below B1G.

Last edited:

In looking for a DL coach, we don't need a mere replacement, we need an upgrade. Our lack of pass rush from front four has been apparent. However, the poor performance in tackles for loss maybe even more concerning. As evidence consider the graphic from PitinoFan post #31 from the "Kirk Ciarocca a Possibility for the Texas OC job" thread.

There are 3 areas out of 16 where the 2019 Gophers were below the average B1G performance. They were 1) offensive 1st and 10 plays about 6% below B1G average by my eyeball measure (sorry) and 2) defensive 1st and 10 plays about 12% below B1G. Both of these were almost unchanged from 2015-19 Gopher performance so they could be viewed as continuing opportunities for continuous improvement.
Area 3) Tackles for loss is much worse. The 2015-19 Gopher average is about 12% below B1G but the 2019 Gopher performance is only 12% which is 48% below B1G.
I think you’re laying a lot of misplaced responsibility on the D-Line coach. Much of what you are referencing has to do with the overall scheme, and that is on Rossi. And while the linemen are okay, we could use one or two studs that can really dominate. When evaluating a line coach, I look for technique and determination. This year, the lineman showed better skills at shedding blocks and working together. They also often held their blocks when needed. Also a lot of the rushing yards gained against us had more to do with the linebackers.

Hopefully, we can get a new coach at least as good as Panagos, and continue to recruit better players.

Are their any former Rutgers assistants, currently out of work?

In an interview PJ said he'd be interviewing lots of candidates at that coaches convention.

Also said Panagos has sick parents that played a role in his move.

Best of luck to his parents. Sounds like no hard feelings with him and the rest of the Gopher coaching staff. Of course I know exactly nothing outside of some websites.

Top Bottom