Who will be the next BB coach at the UofM?

We need a coach who will emphasize weight training and shooting. I'm convinced both Ralph and Iverson would've become much better posts in the Wisconsin system.

GophersOnTheRise said:
Is there any chance in the world that Flip would ever consider being an assistant coach here as oppose to head coach?

These guys have egos. I'll eat my shoe if Flip becomes a Tubby assistant. Flip is genuine in his love for the U. Give him his 3 years to make a mark. No more no less.

These guys have egos. I'll eat my shoe if Flip becomes a Tubby assistant. Flip is genuine in his love for the U. Give him his 3 years to make a mark. No more no less.

Yeah I figure he wouldn't do it. More hoping it would happen than actually thinking it will.

Tubby is not going anywhere - deal with it!

I don't think it matters anymore. The damage has been done to the program from an outsiders perspective as well as internally to the fan base. Good luck with recruiting from here on out. The class next year is already a joke

What a bummer....a worthless class next year...a 2014 MN prep class that is maybe the best ever.....and not one has even acted like they want to play at Minny.

Go away Tubby. The KY fans were right.

Lure Brad Stephens away from Butler or Shaka from VCU...I find it hard to believe that neither would consider a chance to coach in the Big Ten.

Lure Brad Stephens away from Butler or Shaka from VCU...I find it hard to believe that neither would consider a chance to coach in the Big Ten.

Do you really think we either:

A) Have $3.5+ million a year to afford one of these coaches to lure them away from their current gigs? (Shaka smart just got an extension for 8 years with a base pay of $1.2 million)

B) Out-compete some of the other jobs that will be open? (Illinois is a likely one and they have an NBA/MLB team owner as a booster, or potentially UCLA?)

or

C) Will have the respect from the coaching community after firing a highly respected coach because of the media influences? (What hasn't been reported is what the big boosters think.)

I don't think the coaching communities opinion of Tubby or our situation matters at all. I think the person that can be attracted to the U matters the most. If Tubby resigns or we terminate him and hire someone else, it will be because Tubby has not performed well as a leader. He has obviously tried to motivate his players and they have failed to respond. They will remember him for that and will be empathetic. The coaching ranks understands the risks of failure to move a program forward. They would not look less kindly to the University of Minnesota for wanting a change of leadership, when leadership is what is needed. Just because a person gets terminated, doesn't mean they will not perform well somewhere else. Tubby will certainly land on his feet somewhere else. The point of the thread is to see if other coaches might be a better fit from a fan point of view.

I don't think the coaching communities opinion of Tubby or our situation matters at all. I think the person that can be attracted to the U matters the most. If Tubby resigns or we terminate him and hire someone else, it will be because Tubby has not performed well as a leader. He has obviously tried to motivate his players and they have failed to respond. They will remember him for that and will be empathetic. The coaching ranks understands the risks of failure to move a program forward. They would not look less kindly to the University of Minnesota for wanting a change of leadership, when leadership is what is needed. Just because a person gets terminated, doesn't mean they will not perform well somewhere else. Tubby will certainly land on his feet somewhere else. The point of the thread is to see if other coaches might be a better fit from a fan point of view.

HELP WANTED

Looking for a head basketball coach of big ten school minnesota. Be the coach that accomplished what hof coach tubby smith couldn't do.

:rolleyes:

HELP WANTED

Looking for a head basketball coach of big ten school minnesota. Be the coach that accomplished what hof coach tubby smith couldn't do.

:rolleyes:

He hasn't been inducted yet. Let's let that happen and not get ahead of the situation. Because, nobody but the delusional will think he has been a HOF guy the last few years here. No conference championship at Minnie. Been quite a while since he has impacted the game. I think that discussion, if there is one beyond GH, are confined to a minority at KY and an even smaller minority at Minnie. But, if you want to live in the land of fairies and pansies, keep on writing what you did.

He hasn't been inducted yet. Let's let that happen and not get ahead of the situation. Because, nobody but the delusional will think he has been a HOF guy the last few years here. No conference championship at Minnie. Been quite a while since he has impacted the game. I think that discussion, if there is one beyond GH, are confined to a minority at KY and an even smaller minority at Minnie. But, if you want to live in the land of fairies and pansies, keep on writing what you did.

I think you missed the point.

We need a coach who will emphasize weight training and shooting. I'm convinced both Ralph and Iverson would've become much better posts in the Wisconsin system.

Nearly 50% of Berggren's points are from 3-pointers and free throws. It's over 50% for Bruesewitz. You may be right, but nothing about their games shows that Sampson and Iverson would have had a better inside game than they do now at Wisconsin.

What a bummer....a worthless class next year...a 2014 MN prep class that is maybe the best ever.....and not one has even acted like they want to play at Minny.

Go away Tubby. The KY fans were right.

Looks like we've got a lot of recruiting experts here.

Nearly 50% of Berggren's points are from 3-pointers and free throws. It's over 50% for Bruesewitz. You may be right, but nothing about their games shows that Sampson and Iverson would have had a better inside game than they do now at Wisconsin.

Neither would have been recruited by Ryan. He likes tough kids that can shoot. Sampson can shoot but is not tough. Iverson is tough but can't shoot.

I think you miss the greater point of performance at Minnesota. A .435 conference winning percentage over his lifetime at Minnesota is poor performance over 5 years. If we keep Tubby, and the performance stays the same, then shame on us for being afraid to pull the trigger on a future HOF coach. We would be doing him a favor in keeping his reputation whole by finding a way to gracefully let him exit now. Keeps him on the ballot and gives us a chance to find a coach with some fire left in his engine.

Besides, this isn't a thread about firing Tubby. It is a thread about who would be a good replacement for Tubby. I won't disguise my desire to see him leave. Just to be above board and disclose.

19, who would you see as a good fit for bb coach at Minnesota? I hope it is not distasteful for me to ask.

Last week I would have said the best possible Mid Major coach but after yesterday I would say Flip. We need a coach who knows Minnesota and whose ultimate loyalty and pride is the mission to restore/build (whichever your believe) this program because it represents both the university and state.

"You want people start subjectively listing a bunch of candidates whose success at the U couldn't be measured until they rack up a W-L record? All we know now is that the current headcoach is not doing his job, but you would rather us have some hypothetical discussion about future headcoaching candidates? Talk about a distraction technique." In your own words from another thread.

"You want people start subjectively listing a bunch of candidates whose success at the U couldn't be measured until they rack up a W-L record? All we know now is that the current headcoach is not doing his job, but you would rather us have some hypothetical discussion about future headcoaching candidates? Talk about a distraction technique." In your own words from another thread.

Who are you referring to?

Context mean anything to you? That was my response to your assertion that Tubby shouldn't be fired because no one could guaranty the replacement would be better.
Originally Posted by wdgold
For all the fans that want Tubby gone, where's the list? The list of potential coaches that are or would become available that would do any better under the same circumstances, WHO?

I think you miss the greater point of performance at Minnesota. A .435 conference winning percentage over his lifetime at Minnesota is poor performance over 5 years. If we keep Tubby, and the performance stays the same, then shame on us for being afraid to pull the trigger on a future HOF coach. We would be doing him a favor in keeping his reputation whole by finding a way to gracefully let him exit now. Keeps him on the ballot and gives us a chance to find a coach with some fire left in his engine.

Besides, this isn't a thread about firing Tubby. It is a thread about who would be a good replacement for Tubby. I won't disguise my desire to see him leave. Just to be above board and disclose.

19, who would you see as a good fit for bb coach at Minnesota? I hope it is not distasteful for me to ask.

The point I was trying to make was that many posters are saying if we fire tubby no one will want this job. Coaches have big egos and I would think there are many candidates that believe they can do it and be known as the coach that was better than 'big name coach' tubby smith.

Doubtful if we can hire a big name coach, but remember those big time coaches came from somewhere. The next great coach is some one we haven't heard of. Need to find the right one.

I haven't been a big pusher for Flip, but I'm starting to think he should be considered a serious candidate.

If you have read my posts the past month you would realize I am officially off the tubby bandwagon, though I can't imagine a scenario where he is not here next year.

The point I was trying to make was that many posters are saying if we fire tubby no one will want this job. Coaches have big egos and I would think there are many candidates that believe they can do it and be known as the coach that was better than 'big name coach' tubby smith.

Doubtful if we can hire a big name coach, but remember those big time coaches came from somewhere. The next great coach is some one we haven't heard of. Need to find the right one.

I haven't been a big pusher for Flip, but I'm starting to think he should be considered a serious candidate.

If you have read my posts the past month you would realize I am officially off the tubby bandwagon, though I can't imagine a scenario where he is not here next year.

Thanks for the clarification.

Looks like we've got a lot of recruiting experts here.

You don't have to be a recruiting expert to notice that our recruiting class this year, as well as last year are both in the cellar compared to the other teams in the Big Ten. Based on Tubbys supposed player development issues, which I agree are non-existant with this Gopher basketball team, the gophers are in big trouble.

"Why do so many people think Wisconsin's players are all 2/3 star recruits? I don't get it. They get high 3-stars and 4-stars with the occasional 5-star. I'll never understand this misconception."
You don't?

"Why do so many people think Wisconsin's players are all 2/3 star recruits? I don't get it. They get high 3-stars and 4-stars with the occasional 5-star. I'll never understand this misconception."
You don't?

Already clarified this in an earlier post, but in reality I do understand why people make the mistake of thinking they are 2/3 star recruits. What I don't understand is how they can be corrected so many times and still not get it.

Don't tase me, bro but has anyone on this board ever entertained John Pelphrey as next UM BB coach at some point? Just asking because he had built a really good base at Arkansas but needed one more year to capitalize which everyone knows was not acceptable to Arkansas fans. He is now an assistant for Lurch at Florida. He has a good work ethic, he would try very hard to make it big time on his second attempt. If he did no better than tubby, I'm certain he would do no worse. It's a given Pelphrey's teams would be uptempo, fun to watch on the order of Arkansas' "40 minutes of hell".

Now that is a name out of nowhere that I will have to look into.

Top Bottom