Who were your favorite players from the Brewster/Kill eras?

warning - controversy -

Mitch Leidner.

Yes, he had flaws and limitations. but I always got the feeling that Leidner would literally try to run through a brick wall in order to try and win a game.

and for all the heat he took from fans -
finished his career with 7,287 yds passing for 36 TD and 1,495 yds rushing for 33 TD.

when he graduated, he was the only MN QB with more than 30 TD both passing & rushing.

he wasn't perfect. far from it. but he put on the Gopher jersey and tried his best.
I don't know if I'd put him in my favorites but I have some good memories from when he was here. I respect him for being tough as hell and his ground ability. Won in the Big House and the Sea of Red, crushed Iowa, won two bowl games. His play would drive me nuts sometimes but after seeing this last season of QB play I appreciate Leidner's games more.

Decker, Maxx, Cobb, Hageman

Not sure if they count since they finished their career with Fleck but Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks certainly are up there. Otherwise-

On offense:
  • Eric Decker
  • Adam Weber
  • David Cobb
  • Maxx Williams
  • Donnell Kirkwood
  • MarQueis Gray
  • Jonah Pirsig
Defense:
  • Briean Boddy-Calhoun
  • Brock Vereen
  • Troy Stoudermire
  • Eric Murray
  • Michael Carter
  • D.L. Wilhite
  • De'Vondre Campbell
  • Ra'Shede Hageman
Special Teams:
  • Ryan Santoso
  • Peter Mortell
Great list. I might add Nate Triplett. Haven't dug very deeply, but did he beat cancer?

Steven Richardson, the Stove. Loved him.

Lol. Wozniak had the had the coordination of a blind dog. It was just funny seeing how comically tall and awkward he was.

Regarding Gray - totally agree. I was really disappointed in how the Gophers staffs handled him during his time here. If I remember correctly, he was a 4* and top dual-threat in the country behind Pryor. I don't care how bad his mechanics were, they should have gave him a spread option and had him run it 25 times a game. Watching these highlights now is ridiculous:

Gray was brought in to run spread, then they changed systems, then they fired the coach and brought in Kill who again changed systems.

In the current Era Gray would’ve probably transferred once we left the spread (I think Brewster’s year 3). If he had stayed, he probably would’ve left at the coaching change.
Glad we got to see him. Hard to be successful with that many changes and never being a starter in the offense you committed to that also happened to fit his skill set best.

Top Bottom