Who steps up at DE Saturday?

Ron Johnson Super Fan

Reaction score
Lets try and get a football thread going here. Who do people think will step in for McKinley and make the most impact on Saturday? Anthony Jacobs, Ray Henderson, Derrick Onwuachi? I thought Jacobs made a couple of nice plays against Northwestern and am looking forward to see what he does with some more PT.

DL...he's got the key first step, and he's gonna get a couple big time sacks in the 4thQ to seal the deal.

Whilite(sp) will make some huge plays for us off the edge with his speed and this will be his break-out game. Send it.

What a great show of progress that we can lose our best DE and we are able to discuss 2-3 quality options to step in. The quality of depth along our Dline is light years ahead of where it was just 2 years ago.

I think Jacobs will get a lot time and have opportunities to make plays, because I think one of the keys to this game will be our ability to limit their running attack without putting 8 in the box. We absolutely need rock solid play from the front seven--or even six, allowing us to drop one of the LBs into the zone--otherwise they will pick us apart with play-action.

Our defensive line vs. their offensive line is the key match-up in my opinion.

What a great show of progress that we can lose our best DE and we are able to discuss 2-3 quality options to step in. The quality of depth along our Dline is light years ahead of where it was just 2 years ago.

I think Jacobs will get a lot time and have opportunities to make plays, because I think one of the keys to this game will be our ability to limit their running attack without putting 8 in the box. We absolutely need rock solid play from the front seven--or even six, allowing us to drop one of the LBs into the zone--otherwise they will pick us apart with play-action.

Our defensive line vs. their offensive line is the key match-up in my opinion.

I think that is a good take Three. We absolutely won't be able to afford to put 8 in the box the way Wisconsin has been able to throw the ball and with how our pass coverage has looked lately. The good news is that we have three linebackers adept at stopping the run so I don't think that we'll have to resort to loading the box.

On the field, I don't know. But I will tell you that Derrick Onwuachi seems to be a super-nice guy. At an event, my sons (6 & 8) met Derrick and talked to him. It was just a short conversation, but he was just about the nicest 20+/- year old I can ever remember meeting. He gave my sons signed wristbands that they now treasure. So, on that basis alone, I am rooting for Onwuachi.

DL Wilhite

Good things happen when he's in.

Tackle for loss and Forced fumble last week. Count on him making life miserable for Tolzien in the pocket.

Jacobs on running downs, Wilhite on passing downs.

If Wilhite and Henderson are playing the bulk of the snaps against the behemoth Wisconsin line and bruising RB John Clay they'll be blown 15 yards off the ball. Just too light, kind of like the DE's we were used to for years under Mason.

View from the East: On 9/5 I had the pleasure of attending the Syracuse game in a sold-out "electrified" Dome and was amazed...as were other Eastern Gopher fans in my area...by the constant rotation of very large, talented and fast Gopher DL personnel throughout the game. Despite a very hot environment at field level (no AC in the CD), the Gophers had fresh DL legs in the game continually bringing constant QB pressure throughout...especially in the crucial 3/4Q's relentlessly grinding down the Orange OL...they were held to minimal yards rushing and scoreless in the 2nd half.

That massive and dynamic rotation has continued through the first three games and has been coached for a high level of performance at AXE time.

What seems apparent is that Cos/Lee have the smarts and experience to switch up two-deep plus DL personnel in various cleverly designed 4/3 and 3/4 packages to emphasize strength at the nose, run stuffing power at the point of attack, gap control, line shifting, bull rushing, speed rushing, sack stunting, ball hawking/stripping and any combination of the above depending on the situation as they make in-game adjustments to opposition offensive tendencies and field position situations.

What a DL weapon versus previous years and an absolute nightmare of no-letdown mayhem for opposition OLs and their coordinators.

Kirksey

If healthy, I expect Brandon Kirksey to slide outside and play more DE this week, along with Moen. Jacobs has already been discussed above and Wilhite on passing downs as well.

That massive and dynamic rotation has continued through the first three games and has been coached for a high level of performance at AXE time.

Is that you Coach Brew? :)

In all seriousness the ability to rotate players without a discernible drop off from player A to players C-D-E is far better than simply replacing player A with player B.

Could We See Hageman This Week At DE?

Given that McKinley is out and Onywachi (sp?) is coming back from an injury, could we see Hageman as part of the DE rotation this week?

He's listed at 6'5" 270+ lbs, so he's got pretty good size that might be better suited to fight with the big boys on the Badger OL.

I'm not saying he should start -- just wondering if he might see some more action given who we're playing and the fact that we need more depth.

Anyone with insight on whether Hageman is still being considered to play DE as well as TE?

Given that McKinley is out and Onywachi (sp?) is coming back from an injury, could we see Hageman as part of the DE rotation this week?

He's listed at 6'5" 270+ lbs, so he's got pretty good size that might be better suited to fight with the big boys on the Badger OL.

I'm not saying he should start -- just wondering if he might see some more action given who we're playing and the fact that we need more depth.

Anyone with insight on whether Hageman is still being considered to play DE as well as TE?

Had read somewhere that the freshman who haven't yet played were probably going to be redshirted. I'm pretty sure that is the route they are going with Hageman, let him grow a year and figure out a position for him. On the other hand if the coaches think he'd do better than anyone else we have I'd really like to see him out on the field.

I believe that eventually jacobs is going to be an absolute beast at the position. I'm predicting a similar career to another former offensive skill player turned DE of the past. Any guesses?

I'm for anything that gets him more reps and speeds up the process.

I believe that eventually jacobs is going to be an absolute beast at the position. I'm predicting a similar career to another former offensive skill player turned DE of the past. Any guesses?

Todd Meisel? Sean McWhirter? William Brody?

Top Bottom