• Mitch Leidner

Votes: 94 84.7%
  • Both should split time

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • Don't know/No opinion

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

There's not even a question about this. Leidner is the first accurate passer we have had in a decade. He sees the field better and makes decisions faster than Nelson.

Have you been blind in Leitners starts and Nelsons. Right now it's a no brainer. That means there will be gopherholers for Nelson.

Leidner is clearly a much better passer and he can run. Great part is he is a Freshman who will continue to develop. Nelson is a competitor but not as good a passer as Leidner. Its not even close.

I posed the question for debate as Kill was quite adamant that Nelson was his guy going into this week. Now that Leidner has clearly proven himself it should be interesting to see how Kill responds.

Why people choose to mock me for asking the question is ridiculous. Tired of the jerks on these forums.

What, did you not watch the last two games?

I'm in favor of Mitch starting vs jNWU, but you would be well advised to not read too much into single games. Have you ever watched CFB? Don't be surprised if Mitch struggles in a game and Phil comes in and does well. I can just see your post now.

Either Weber or Gray. Not sure which one.

Well maybe Max.

Leidner may have a sprained ankle and Nelson still may not be 100% - Streveler?

Which ever one is the healthiest. In this offense, the qb gets the glory, gets the carries, takes the hits and the punishment. The qb in this offense is a bit like a tailback in the old Single Wing offense. Most everything goes through and revolves around the qb. As often as not, the qb will have a LOT of carries, will throw the ball, will read the options and process the options. All we need to do is start having a halfback running pitch man stuff...kind of the way Northwestern does. When done right, it can be one heck of a fun offense to watch...and...it CAN be very effective if done correctly. To do it correctly, there have to be at least two good options at qb.

People just need to let go and watch it all come together. And remember: it is TOUGH to get an offense put together in a season or two.

For you people who just love to fire coaches...it is the really PAINFUL part of playing "musical coach..." It takes time...a hell of a lot of time to get things put back together again when you tear it all down. The brewball era was SO pathetic because massive changes were attempted EVERY season. So, we are now paying our DUES for ditching Mason, bringing in the constantly changing Brewster and finally bringing in Coach Kill. YOU people wanted Mason fired because even though things were better than they have been any time SINCE you wanted to dump/ditch/buy out Mason SIX and a half seasons AFTER your boys prexy b and macturi did the deed, you think that Coach Kill and company should be much better miracle workers than they have been. There are DUES to be paid for firing coaches people. AND, if Coach Kill and his staff have to go and we start all over again...the next DECADE is going to be in the dumps around here.

Relax, settle back and let it all happen. The U doesn't have many options. Coach Kill has only two options...he will either continue coaching or he won't...but the Big Ten record will determine what will happen. It will all work itself out. And the answers may NOT be happening in this 2013 season.. It may take longer. I don't have a clue how this will all work out...but...I am cheering for and rooting for my Golden Gopher Football Team. I wish the VERY best for all involved and all concerned. And, as always: GO GOPHERS!

Not sure either is a great option but of the two think there is no doubt you have to stick with Leidner.

Which ever one is the healthiest. In this offense, the qb gets the glory, gets the carries, takes the hits and the punishment. The qb in this offense is a bit like a tailback in the old Single Wing offense. Most everything goes through and revolves around the qb. As often as not, the qb will have a LOT of carries, will throw the ball, will read the options and process the options. All we need to do is start having a halfback running pitch man stuff...kind of the way Northwestern does. When done right, it can be one heck of a fun offense to watch...and...it CAN be very effective if done correctly. To do it correctly, there have to be at least two good options at qb.

People just need to let go and watch it all come together. And remember: it is TOUGH to get an offense put together in a season or two.

For you people who just love to fire coaches...it is the really PAINFUL part of playing "musical coach..." It takes time...a hell of a lot of time to get things put back together again when you tear it all down. The brewball era was SO pathetic because massive changes were attempted EVERY season. So, we are now paying our DUES for ditching Mason, bringing in the constantly changing Brewster and finally bringing in Coach Kill. YOU people wanted Mason fired because even though things were better than they have been any time SINCE you wanted to dump/ditch/buy out Mason SIX and a half seasons AFTER your boys prexy b and macturi did the deed, you think that Coach Kill and company should be much better miracle workers than they have been. There are DUES to be paid for firing coaches people. AND, if Coach Kill and his staff have to go and we start all over again...the next DECADE is going to be in the dumps around here.

Relax, settle back and let it all happen. The U doesn't have many options. Coach Kill has only two options...he will either continue coaching or he won't...but the Big Ten record will determine what will happen. It will all work itself out. And the answers may NOT be happening in this 2013 season.. It may take longer. I don't have a clue how this will all work out...but...I am cheering for and rooting for my Golden Gopher Football Team. I wish the VERY best for all involved and all concerned. And, as always: GO GOPHERS!

I'm sure you'll get crap for this post, but it is the most reasonable one on here in the last 24 hours.

I posed the question for debate as Kill was quite adamant that Nelson was his guy going into this week. Now that Leidner has clearly proven himself it should be interesting to see how Kill responds.
If they do anything but start Leidner coming out of the bye then I seriously question what they are basing playing time off of. QB seems to be the only position where your play on gameday is unrelated to the amount of playing time you get.

I've been as big of a Nelson supporter as anyone, but as others have stated, it's not even close right now. I don't know if he's inside his own head or what, but he's not the same player he was in HS. Here's to hoping he gets it figured out and rights the ship, because we'll need both of them over the next couple seasons.

I've been as big of a Nelson supporter as anyone, but as others have stated, it's not even close right now. I don't know if he's inside his own head or what, but he's not the same player he was in HS. Here's to hoping he gets it figured out and rights the ship, because we'll need both of them over the next couple seasons.

dpodoll, one of the least argumentative posts you have ever made on the GopherHole. Well stated.

This poll is getting pretty lopsided. I think the answer is quite apparent.

I'd start Leidner @ NW. That said, it sure seems like a much more QB friendly offense when Mitch is in. It is like they call plays forcing him to throw to the backs and TE's (which is who we should be force feeding), and I don't remember those route patterns in Nelson's starts. It almost seems that they don't believe Mitch can get the ball out to the WR's on the edges. Also, people last week were whining about WR's having to turn their poor bodies to catch some passes, and excusing the drops because of that. Well, at least we got to see Mich show how B1G caliber WR's can help a QB out.

Nelson will get in when Leidner gets hurt. Hopefully Nelson lasts long enough to let Leidner heal. This offense chews up QBs

There's not even a question about this. Leidner is the first accurate passer we have had in a decade. He sees the field better and makes decisions faster than Nelson.

I agree Leidner should start against NW, but I wouldn't go that far yet. I hope you're right but I don't think we've seen enough of him to make that distinction in my opinion.

I agree Leidner should start against NW, but I wouldn't go that far yet. I hope you're right but I don't think we've seen enough of him to make that distinction in my opinion.

I agree Iowa. I think that based on what they have shown this season, it is not a close call in terms of who should get the next start. However, I am not ready to crown Leidner permanent starter based on one solid (and far from great) game.

Haven't seen enough? Come on. Making definitive statements that would affect the program for years based on single games (or even spring games) is what GopherHolers are best at.

I'd start Leidner @ NW. That said, it sure seems like a much more QB friendly offense when Mitch is in. It is like they call plays forcing him to throw to the backs and TE's (which is who we should be force feeding), and I don't remember those route patterns in Nelson's starts. It almost seems that they don't believe Mitch can get the ball out to the WR's on the edges. Also, people last week were whining about WR's having to turn their poor bodies to catch some passes, and excusing the drops because of that. Well, at least we got to see Mich show how B1G caliber WR's can help a QB out.

The bold. The package of plays for Leidner, as far as passing, has been completely different from what Nelson has ran. The coaching staff is giving him much easier throws to make to help build his confidence and not ask too much of him, I would guess.

Since this is all hypothetical, what if Shortell were still here? He'd be the best passer in the group. Here are his current stays:

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=201665

Oddly similar to what he did with us.

It may be debatable if he would have been the best passer in the bunch but looking at those rushing numbers tells you all you need to know about why he is not with the program anymore. He just didn't fit Kill/Limegrover's scheme. Heck Nelson and Leidner have more carries in one game then Shortell has for the season.

It's an easy decision to start Leidner. He did a pretty good job against Michigan and Nelson did not play well at home against Iowa. He turned the ball over but so did Nelson. It sucks that we have to choose, since they're both local kids.

I feel like our QB debate is like the current political climate in the U.S.. Hugely divided and polarizing, tons of energy put into it, but mostly a distraction from bigger issues that matter most--in this case line play.

Top Bottom