Who should be the third Gopher dedicated rivalry game?

Who is the third rivalry?

• Michigan

Votes: 58 47.5%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 57 46.7%
  • Penn State

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Purdue

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Field

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
Ok, Iowa and Wisconsin are absolute locks with no need for discussion.
But who should be #3?
Michigan - Little Brown Jug aside, this has been lopsided forever.
Penn State - good matchup for the teams but geographically apart and a crap trophy.
Nebraska - another even matchup with some good natured pecking at each other from fan bases. Bonus: fun traveling trophy!
Other options:
NW
Illinois
Purdue

Purdue is the only other team in the West we have a decent back and forth with but it just doesn’t resonate enough for me.

My choice: Nebraska or Michigan. Michigan would probably make us homecoming every other year as they will always out-recruit us. Nebby would be geo-centric and be competitive almost always.

Nebraska

The initial thing, with 9 conf games, is 3 protected annual + rotate through the remaining 10 such that you play them each 3 times in 5 years.

So they can change things up every 5 year period, if a school doesn't feel like it has 3 teams it wants to see every year perpetually.

Meeesshheeegan hands down. Back in the Day fighting for The Jug was the real deal. Time for that to come back to this generation of fans.

Plus it will take several victories to atone for Game 1 2020...the covid debacle where we literally had no kicking squad. Very painful letdown for that one...

Michigan hands down, with Nebraska being the second choice if needed. Question would be if we crack Michigan's top 3. OSU and MSU are obvious, then it's probably Penn State before us in their eyes, but the Jug has more history than Michigan vs PSU.

You also have to look at the other schools. Remember this is about money so Mich will get tOSU and Mich St, have to think they will add Penn St to that so there is another big time matchup each year that they can hype up for 2 weeks. Nebraska makes sense geographically and also the fact they have no other natural rivals so they need to get locked into someone. And lastly it has been a series of good/close games which is always nice.

I’m not sure that will be the scheduling model. It’s a dumb model that sets you up for 3 way ties

I’m not sure that will be the scheduling model. It’s a dumb model that sets you up for 3 way ties
There won't be any ties. They'll just take the top two ranked in the CFP.

You can hate it and renounce your fandom all you want. You've put forth all the good arguments -- I'd say you even won the debate. But they won't care, anyway.

You also have to look at the other schools. Remember this is about money so Mich will get tOSU and Mich St, have to think they will add Penn St to that so there is another big time matchup each year that they can hype up for 2 weeks. Nebraska makes sense geographically and also the fact they have no other natural rivals so they need to get locked into someone. And lastly it has been a series of good/close games which is always nice.
I like how quickly the "no divisions" turns into psudo divisions ....

Like guies we didn't solve anything here!

Penn St wants to avoid Ohio St and Michigan, as much as possible.

Being in a division with them, is why they've only won the East once.

I suspect they'll ask to get aligned with Rutgers, Maryland (geography), and Michigan State (Land Grant trophy and respectable game).

There won't be any ties. They'll just take the top two ranked in the CFP.

You can hate it and renounce your fandom all you want. You've put forth all the good arguments -- I'd say you even won the debate. But they won't care, anyway.

I haven’t checked the math

Absolutely stupid. I don’t think the big ten is as stupid as the ACC

And that’s just unbeaten 3 way ties

I haven’t checked the math

Absolutely stupid. I don’t think the big ten is as stupid as the ACC

And that’s just unbeaten 3 way ties
If you've lost a game, you have no possible grounds to complain. You could've taken care of your business on the field, but didn't.

You won the debate on the 3-way unbeaten tie thing. And .... so what? TV money rules the day.

There are no ties in CFP ranking. Top two.

Careful what we wish for. I am thinking of this in terms of W/Ls. Based on recent history, I would rather have NW, IL or NEB locked in for our schedule than Michigan. Of course I want to win the Jug but the most important criteria for me is Big Ten W/Ls. Having WI and Iowa every year is tough enough.

If you've lost a game, you have no possible grounds to complain. You could've taken care of your business on the field, but didn't.

You won the debate on the 3-way unbeaten tie thing. And .... so what? TV money rules the day.

There are no ties in CFP ranking. Top two.
Yup. Which is why as a MN fan you should be against this.
Who loses a 3 way tie between MN and any other big ten team not named Indiana and Rutgers ?

In this structure teams don’t control their own destiny entering the season. Destiny is controlled by CFP committee. I’ll be done watching if this is the way it goes.

Yup. Which is why as a MN fan you should be against this.
Who loses a 3 way tie between MN and any other big ten team not named Indiana and Rutgers ?

In this structure teams don’t control their own destiny entering the season. Destiny is controlled by CFP committee. I’ll be done watching if this is the way it goes.
I am against it. I want the West and East to stay, as is.

But they aren't going to. They're going to scrap divisions and go with some scheduling scheme, then take the top two CFP ranked for the championship game.

Sorry to see you go, but I understand it. Hopefully you'll still watch recaps and comment on GH, I enjoy your comments.

That said, I legitimately think MN is in the top half of the league if it came down to something like a "CFP ranking based on program perception" type of thing.

I would easily have us come out on the top two with anyone outside of: Wisc, Iowa, Michigan, Mich State, Ohio St, Penn St. And even within those, probably only Ohio St and Michigan are locks for beating us.

Then you have to consider what happened in non-conf.

How likely is it going to be three 12-0 of: Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio State, where we didn't play the other two? Gonna be rare.

That said, I legitimately think MN is in the top half of the league if it came down to something like a "CFP ranking based on program perception" type of thing.

I would easily have us come out on the top two with anyone outside of: Wisc, Iowa, Michigan, Mich State, Ohio St, Penn St. And even within those, probably only Ohio St and Michigan are locks for beating us.

Then you have to consider what happened in non-conf.

How likely is it going to be three 12-0 of: Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio State, where we didn't play the other two? Gonna be rare.
Going to be 7 or 8 possible combos per year.
Not all will involve the gophers

If the 4 of NE, WI, IA, MN are all each other’s crosses…they will be involved in a lot of them

Going to be 7 or 8 possible combos per year.
Not all will involve the gophers

If the 4 of NE, WI, IA, MN are all each other’s crosses…they will be involved in a lot of them
I'm just saying, the scenarios you've been talking about, and what the Tweet addresses, are only considering conference games.

If conf record was what mattered for selecting the champ game participants, then fine.

But that's not what it's going to be. It's going to be top two CFP. And in that case, the CFP committee will also be looking at non-conf strength of schedule or possibly losses.

It would have to be three teams 12-0, each with equally strong non-conf, and also reasonable equally home vs away schedule, for there to really be a legit complaint.

For example: MN, Penn St, Michigan, all 9-0 in the Big Ten and didn't play each other. But Penn St is 10-2 while Gophers and Mich are 12-0. Then it would be absurd to take Penn St, and the CFP won't allow that.

Careful what we wish for. I am thinking of this in terms of W/Ls. Based on recent history, I would rather have NW, IL or NEB locked in for our schedule than Michigan. Of course I want to win the Jug but the most important criteria for me is Big Ten W/Ls. Having WI and Iowa every year is tough enough.
Coach maintains that the goal is to become a Blue Blood again...

Doesn't get much bluer than Maize and Blue as one's opponent.

Still, understand the point. As Wren always maintains it's the B1G wins that count and nothing else.

@Some guy apologies, I didn't read closely enough.

So far that I've seen in the announcements, the ACC is not planning to use CFP ranking to determine the champ game participants. It will be the top two teams by conference game winning percentage.

Nothing I can find says what they will do in the case of a three-way tie, but I'm sure it will just be a set of tie-breakers as most confs already have in place. Eventually, it always boils down to something like "if after steps ____ no team has been eliminated, then there will be a coin flip".

Is that any less arbitrary? But I could see the Big Ten just doing what the ACC is doing.

@Some guy apologies, I didn't read closely enough.

So far that I've seen in the announcements, the ACC is not planning to use CFP ranking to determine the champ game participants. It will be the top two teams by conference game winning percentage.

Nothing I can find says what they will do in the case of a three-way tie, but I'm sure it will just be a set of tie-breakers as most confs already have in place. Eventually, it always boils down to something like "if after steps ____ no team has been eliminated, then there will be a coin flip".

Is that any less arbitrary? But I could see the Big Ten just doing what the ACC is doing.
They haven’t done it yet so hopefully they wise up

I’d imagine they’d follow similar tiebreakers that they currently use for divisional ties

It has to be The Jug.

There is no other choice.

Natties are earned.,.. go fucking earn it... Wanna be the best.. beat the best

Top Bottom