Who should be our next Coach?

Who should be the next Gophers Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is too old what holds back the Dutcher hire?

This guy has been dominant and has clear strong ties here.

He doesn't miss the NCAA tournament and they were going to be a 1 seed the year COVID shut it down.

Who wouldn't take this in a heartbeat?
Legality aside, I have mixed feelings about ageism. The trend in sport has been toward wunderkind, partly because it takes youthful energy to do the grinding work these jobs entail. Let's be honest about that. There are some people, though, that continue to do it well into their AARP years. Those are typically people who are intellectually curious and geared toward innovation. Bud Grant was one of the league's most dynamic innovators right up to the end of his career, and his style wasn't to buy into the culture of grinding, endless work or sleep on a cot in his office. Dutcher strikes me as one of these.

Legality aside, I have mixed feelings about ageism. The trend in sport has been toward wunderkind, partly because it takes youthful energy to do the grinding work these jobs entail. Let's be honest about that. There are some people, though, that continue to do it well into their AARP years. Those are typically people who are intellectually curious and geared toward innovation. Bud Grant was one of the league's most dynamic innovators right up to the end of his career, and his style wasn't to buy into the culture of grinding, endless work or sleep on a cot in his office. Dutcher strikes me as one of these.
Andy Reid is 64 years old. Elite and Dynamic.

Is too old what holds back the Dutcher hire?

This guy has been dominant and has clear strong ties here.

He doesn't miss the NCAA tournament and they were going to be a 1 seed the year COVID shut it down.

Who wouldn't take this in a heartbeat?

I was against hiring Dutcher previously because of his age, and because I thought there were better, younger options available. Now he'd be my first option. Even if his tenure is limited due to age, he'd immediately get us back to respectability, which would make finding his future replacement much easier.

Roddy was the heart and soul of that team. And they lost 4 of their top 6 players.
Thorson hurt as well.

Medved is a solid coach but winning there at a decent clip is a tough tough thing to do

he wouldnt be at the top of my list but he would be on the list as he would certainly be an upgrade.

I'm not a big fan of Niko. He hit the lottery with Roddy, but I think he has been pretty underwhelming as a head coach. Very few would have him as a candidate if he wasn't from Minneapolis.

I'm not a big fan of Niko. He hit the lottery with Roddy, but I think he has been pretty underwhelming as a head coach. Very few would have him as a candidate if he wasn't from Minneapolis.
Outside of this year, what part of his record do you take issue with? He also rebuilt Furman pretty quickly.

Outside of this year, what part of his record do you take issue with? He also rebuilt Furman pretty quickly.

I think the Mountain West jobs are all fairly similar. The coaches that do well turn things around pretty quickly and sustain that success until they jump to their next job. Niko's record is pretty much the same as Eustachy's before him.

People are pretty underwhelmed by throwing out Leon Rice's name, and he doesn't move the needle much for me either, but he's done a better job over a longer period of time at Boise St than Niko has done at Colorado St.

Everyone knows Rice is just fine biding his time at Boise until Gonzaga opens up?

Few is one year older than Rice
And spent 11 years at Gonzaga as an assistant.

Probably for the same reason Few never took a "bigger" job, Rice is just fine never taking a "bigger" job.

Similar area of the country, must like it there.

Dutcher would be the obvious easy choice. He’s not going to be here 20 years, but he could play the Tubby Smith role of bringing the program back to respectability. I think he could do a little better than Tubby, but that’s just my opinion.

Muss ain’t happening. I would love it, but that ship has sailed. We aren’t matching the WalMart money, and they aren’t about to let him go.

The only reason Medved is brought up is that he went here. He’s made one NCAA tournament (and is 0/1 in tourney games) in ten years as a HC with a winning % only slightly above .500, but he’s ready to jump in and turn around a B1G program? Hard pass.

Not a great deal of interest from me in any of the coaches listed in the poll. Maybe Kelsey, or take a wild card chance on Powell if I have to pick any.

If we’re going to move on from Ben after this season (and I don’t think we will), Dutcher is far and away my choice of the realistic options.

Dutcher would be the obvious easy choice. He’s not going to be here 20 years, but he could play the Tubby Smith role of bringing the program back to respectability. I think he could do a little better than Tubby, but that’s just my opinion.

Muss ain’t happening. I would love it, but that ship has sailed. We aren’t matching the WalMart money, and they aren’t about to let him go.

The only reason Medved is brought up is that he went here. He’s made one NCAA tournament (and is 0/1 in tourney games) in ten years as a HC with a winning % only slightly above .500, but he’s ready to jump in and turn around a B1G program? Hard pass.

Not a great deal of interest from me in any of the coaches listed in the poll. Maybe Kelsey, or take a wild card chance on Powell if I have to pick any.

If we’re going to move on from Ben after this season (and I don’t think we will), Dutcher is far and away my choice of the realistic options.
my only concerns for Dutcher is that he just might not want to make a change this late in his career....he would have when we hired BJ.....but every year this gets prolonged makes it less likely he will anymore

i, like most, are not concerned with his age......but maybe he is. hes built what he has right now and i bet its very enjoyable.....does moving back to MN to built a crap team back up at 64 years old really want he wants to do?

also side note....watched the SDSU and Boise State game last night. Boise went on a tear to end the game and won 66-60. SDSU went on a Ben Johnson like 5 minute scoring drought to end the game.

but was an entertaining game.......if we think that Cooper looks fat and slow....SDSU has a 6'4" PG that probably weighs 20 pounds more than Cooper and he could actually move his feet a little bit

He’s got them going in the right direction. Will be interesting to watch. Have you seen his teams ever play?
Yeah. I think he is a pretty solid coach. I would call him a “double” or maybe even a “triple”

Holy semantics dude. I think hiring the best we are able to is a home run. I don’t count unattainable. Agree we can feel different on the definition
A home run is a home run.
If you’re in the big leagues and you hit a single does it count as a home run because you’re not a good power hitter?

No it doesn’t.

Yea, you’re right it is semantics. Which is why it’s so funny everyone got all fired up that I said a guy who has been an above average coach and hasn’t made an NCAA tourney at multiple of his head coaching stops isn’t a home run.

Ben Johnson signed the #11 recruit in the nation...out of California...to come to a Minnesota dumpster blizzard that he inherited. Simply on his own talent & vision. No name recognition, no help.

Who else has done that?

Yes, because neither one sleeps on a cot in the locker room.
I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen it. The dude D1coach slept in the office. And yes he had a family and yes he eventually gave up the job. Great guy, Great coach and an even better family man.

A home run is a home run.
If you’re in the big leagues and you hit a single does it count as a home run because you’re not a good power hitter?

No it doesn’t.

Yea, you’re right it is semantics. Which is why it’s so funny everyone got all fired up that I said a guy who has been an above average coach and hasn’t made an NCAA tourney at multiple of his head coaching stops isn’t a home run.
A home run to right field in Yankee Field is different than one Comerica. Different homes have different dimensions and home run requirements.

A home run at the U will look different than one at Kentucky.

A home run to right field in Yankee Field is different than one Comerica. Different homes have different dimensions and home run requirements.

A home run at the U will look different than one at Kentucky.
And he ain’t it at either
Minnesota isn’t even going to swing for a home run. So it is very unlikely they hit one.

And he ain’t it at either
Probably not but we don’t know.
Minnesota isn’t even going to swing for a home run. So it is very unlikely they hit one.
Eye of the beholder and we don’t know what the AB would result in until they step up and swing at the pitch. There is no sure thing and it’s speculative either way

Probably not but we don’t know.

Eye of the beholder and we don’t know what the AB would result in until they step up and swing at the pitch. There is no sure thing and it’s speculative either way
There are such things as almost sure things.
And if we are offering less than 4 million a year we aren’t attempting to get one of the almost sure things. Which I suspect we wont.

Of course it’s all speculation?

Top Bottom