Who really cares about playing NDSU? (Minnesota fans only)

NDSU home football attendance 2010:
Morgan State 17340
South Dakota 18241
W. Illinois 18701
Indiana State 15245
S. Illinois 12384
SDSU 17307

If Bison fans were really so gung-ho for all their opponents, then why the low attendance for the Southern Illinois and Indiana State games? A better comparison would attendance against D-II opponents, but most Bison fans are adamant about not playing a team from a lower division.

Last years attendence was down in general. Following up a 7-4(or was it 6-5? I try not to remember) year with a 3-8 year really hurt attendence. Games on opening hunting weekend kill too. This year attendence has been pretty good considering the two teams we played were just not very good in general. Fargo gets up for the Bison after the Bison earn it. Sad world at times. When the Bison are good, Fargo is super-fans.

If I was a Minnesota fan(I cheer for them when they aren't playing the Bison), the only reason I would be even remotely excited to play NDSU is to beat them and then never schedule NDSU(or any FCS) again for that matter. One of my favorite things about Notre Dame is when I turn on the TV they are playing a team in their division. Granted, as a Bison fan, I am more than happy to schedule winnable FBS games. It really helps out with the exposure and stuff to recruits in the area and gives us a leg up in some tight recruiting battles(B1G fans know recruiting can be tough work.)

i live on the minnesota side of the river in east grand forks, and i couldnt agree more instead of scheduling 1AA schools id prefer to play lower level major conference teams like kansas iowa state, or even like a south florida.. it can only hurt us if were playing against the small schools because if we blow them out we were supposed to or if we lose its the biggest upset ever.. (aka michigan vs appalachian)

You're from East Grand Forks too? I like it haha

(sarcasm alert)
But consider all that respect that Bisonville has shown to the University of Minnesota, the State of Minnesota and the Minnesota Gophers football team...(end sarcasm alert)

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the NCAA limit each school to 11 games plus one against a D1-FCS plus one if played in the state of Hawaii?

If so, the answer is obvious - you don't go to a bowl at 5-6, you go to a bowl at 6-6. That's what you gain by playing them.

Even if that's not the case, frankly, I'd rather play NDSU than NMSU. Either way a loss is devastating, a win doesn't mean much, but at least there's some sort of meaning to the game. I also do believe that it helps in recruiting walk-ons if we win, because the other option for many of these walk-ons is NDSU (or SDSU, USD, UND...).

I live in Grand Forks and am a die hard Gophers fan. Probably far more die hard than any of you living down in the cities. But I still have NO interest in the games with NDSU, and even UND for that matter. If we didn't play them in hockey I wouldn't give a $h!t. I know this is a huge game for NDSU fans, but do ANY Minnesota fans actually care? I'd rather play Minnesota-Duluth.

That's pretty clever how you put "(Minnesota fans only)". Now NDSU can't post in the thread!

Let's see...well, if they're fans of MN high school football - many of the top players in the state end up playing for NDSU because Minnesota won't offer players in their own state. That's kind've a reason to care.

No, you get 12 games. You can play a 13th game if you play at Hawaii. The rule used to be that once every four years, you could count a game against an FCS team toward bowl elligibility. The rule was changed to allow one FCS game to count toward bowl elligibility each season. It used to be that people would look at you funny for even scheduling an FCS team, but with the expansion to 12 game seasons and the changes in bowl elligibility rules, playing an FCS team has gotten quite common.

the value of these games are because they should be like an advanced scrimmage and if things go well allows PT for the second and third strings and allows the starters to try some things they might not against a more powerful opponent

That's pretty clever how you put "(Minnesota fans only)". Now NDSU can't post in the thread!

Let's see...well, if they're fans of MN high school football - many of the top players in the state end up playing for NDSU because Minnesota won't offer players in their own state. That's kind've a reason to care.

You do understand that this is a Gophers board, don't you?

Minnesota offers plenty of in-state kids; mainly the ones that other FBS teams want.

I guess it makes more sense to play teams who will buy tickets since badger joel macturi just can't seem to sell out TCF BANK STADIUM to Minnesota Fans..

To me the ultimate schedule would feature games with EVERY Big Ten Team every year. That would leave room for only one ooc game.

To me, games with a New Mexico State make less sense than games against our border state match ups. There is some sense of "danger" in losing to NDSU that doesn't appear to be as urgent as losing to some of the more distant teams. That also means that beating our border state match ups should be a bit more exciting.

I just think that the U of M needs to keep working on building a program we can be proud of. During the past few years our program has certainly not distinguished itself very much from SDSU, SD and NDSU. We are 2-2 against these teams and the two games we won were certainly not convincing wins.

Our team had BEST show up ready to play. We fans have no basis for trying to trash the talk with our friends and neighbors from the Dakotas. Our recent contests with the football programs from North and South Dakota have shown that the level of competition is really quite even during this period of time in these border ooc clashes.

It looks to me as though this is going to be a real battle again this Saturday.

I think it is time to take a look at the facts, check the egos at the door and root for our Gophers to play their hearts out Saturday Evening. I am sure that is exactly what the Bison Team and their Fans will be doing.This should be a very good football me! Go Gophers!

Exactly.

Gopher fans can P&M all they want but the time has come and gone in CFB where you need to respect your opponent. How many times do we have watch the Gophers get beat by an "unworthy opponent" for folks to get this? Unless the Gopher bring their A game, it will be another embarrassing day for Minnesota football.

I am looking forward to the game much more than playing a NMS type. I clearly remember watching NDSU's Rolle run over, around and through us. Its payback time.

Coach Kill did not have the guys ready for NMS and they deserved to lose. No more deja vu please.

Corn and Sugar beet harvests draw our attendence down, as does opening deer weekend.

I know, I know, que in the farming and hunting jokes in 3 . . 2 . . 1 . . . . .
Wep, I was gonna go check out the football but I need to murder me an elk.

I'd rather play Sue. I think there would be brawls.

I'd rather play Sue. I think there would be brawls.

For some reason, I don't see the animosity of the hockey teams translating to the Gridiron. If someone started a fight, it'd be UND, the team losing generally starts the fight.

BEAT THE SIOUX, LakesBison must be banned or that turdlet Lakes would be hounding us about every Minnesota guy that Brewster did not offer that is going to dominate Saturday. Another band of misfits is claiming they are going to pound the Gophers and take over TCF. I'm tired of NDSU amlums at work talking smack about how great the Bison are, time to shut these choades up.

If you're a fan of Lakes - he won't shut up about how he's organized a take-over of Sally's on Sat. Not sure if any Gopher fans go to that bar on game day, but anyway he'll be there apparently.

If you're a fan of Lakes - he won't shut up about how he's organized a take-over of Sally's on Sat. Not sure if any Gopher fans go to that bar on game day, but anyway he'll be there apparently.

Then one would have to assume Lakes will be disappointed… underage goats are not allowed in Sally's.

I'm a season ticket holder, albeit with a family. If the Gophers were playing NMSU again this weekend (or someone similar), I'd be taking the weekend off! Instead, we get some of the passion involved comparable to when Iowa or Wisconsin comes to town (I said some, mind you).

I think there needs to be a reality check done about the Gophers, and particularly what it means in terms of playing the Dakota schools. If we don't beat them, reality tells me it is not ruining our BCS Bowl titles, because we are pretty average anyway. Furthermore (and it should go without saying), when the Dakotas of the DIAA era have good teams, the separation between them and Big Ten caliber football is very slight.

Anybody that tries to say the fan experience during the NDSU games at the Dome was less than that experienced against (insert second rate D1A squad) is lying. And, if someone thinks playing the NMSU's of the world is somehow more positive for recruiting, I just don't think that is the reality either.

Anybody that tries to say the fan experience during the NDSU games at the Dome was less than that experienced against (insert second rate D1A squad) is lying. And, if someone thinks playing the NMSU's of the world is somehow more positive for recruiting, I just don't think that is the reality either.

Who said it was better for recruiting? It's better because those teams don't approach the same way the Dakota teams do, as a rivalry game.

Lakes has been banned from pretty much every forum on the web. Unless he's posting under another name, I haven't seen him for a while (and I did read Bisonville the other night just to see what the fans were saying.)

As for quality of teams, a good FCS team, which NDSU usually is, is pretty equivalent to the the lower levels of FBS, like the MAC or the Sun Belt.

He sticks out like a sore thumb so if he's around he's lurking.

Me

It's a 6pm game. We'll be tailgating at noon. After this weekend our remaining home games are against 3 ranked teams and Iowa. I'm not saying those are guarateed losses by any means but ... yes I am excited for this weekend.

Top Bottom