Who really cares about playing NDSU? (Minnesota fans only)

NoDakGopher

Reaction score
I live in Grand Forks and am a die hard Gophers fan. Probably far more die hard than any of you living down in the cities. But I still have NO interest in the games with NDSU, and even UND for that matter. If we didn't play them in hockey I wouldn't give a $h!t. I know this is a huge game for NDSU fans, but do ANY Minnesota fans actually care? I'd rather play Minnesota-Duluth.

Well, they wouldn't play UMD, because I don't think FBS teams can play D2 teams.

There's nothing really to gain for the U to play any of the four Dakota schools. If the Gophers win, it's because they should beat FCS schools. If they lose, it's a terrible embarassment to the program.

Thing is, just about all FBS teams have to schedule an FCS team each year to fill the schedule.

Well, they wouldn't play UMD, because I don't think FBS teams can play D2 teams.

There's nothing really to gain for the U to play any of the four Dakota schools. If the Gophers win, it's because they should beat FCS schools. If they lose, it's a terrible embarassment to the program.

Thing is, just about all FBS teams have to schedule an FCS team each year to fill the schedule.

I'd rather we fill our schedule with NMSU or Wyoming than a Dakota school. Or at least pick an FCS program that won't care so much about beating us. ALL of the Dakota schools think of Minnesota as a rival, which is far from true.

#6 ranked Wisconsin is playing South Dakota this Saturday! Same reason. This will all go away when the 4 super conferences get going and the cupcakes are forever of the radar and meaningless.

i live on the minnesota side of the river in east grand forks, and i couldnt agree more instead of scheduling 1AA schools id prefer to play lower level major conference teams like kansas iowa state, or even like a south florida.. it can only hurt us if were playing against the small schools because if we blow them out we were supposed to or if we lose its the biggest upset ever.. (aka michigan vs appalachian)

The ticket office and area motels probably would love to see NDSU on the schedule every year. Iowa State would be good too, but apparently they don't want to play us.

State of college football

It is the state of college football. I think nearly every FBS team plays a FCS team. I believe this started to occur a couple of years ago when the NCAA allowed schools to schedule an extra home game. This is huge for towns/teams like Michigan, Ohio State, any other stadium with over 100,000 attendance, but also nice revenue for most colleges.

I am split on playing the Dakota schools. I hate the fact that a lot of these guys are Gopher snubs and were border line scholarship players and the U decided not to offer. They have a little extra motivation in this game. At the same time I enjoy watching these games because a lot of the kids are from Minnesota and there is a good chance that I saw some of the players play in high school. I would must rather watch a Dakota school over SE Missouri State, Illinois State, Sam Houston State, etc.

The price to play the NM States of the world is rising, part of the reason the big ten would want to add a 9th conference game.

If you have to play a 1AA you might as well make it a regional one

It's a no-win situation for the U. It's like high school boys who end up having to wrestle girls. If you win, BFD. If you lose, the rest of your days in school will be filled with torment.

It's a no-win situation for the U. It's like high school boys who end up having to wrestle girls. If you win, BFD. If you lose, the rest of your days in school will be filled with torment.

My feelings as well, but there's no question the NDSU fan base is truly riled up about this game, which makes it painful on the board.

This sums it up perfectly. It is a no win situation.

One other point. I'm not sure where the thought comes from that there would be fewer of these games when/if the super conferences arrive. I've always thought that it would be natural there'd be MORE of these games. BCS schools need the home games and with one more Big 10 game, there are only so many possibilities to get sure-thing home tilts. I see the 9th conference game as a replacement for the one high profile non-con game that many BCS schools currently schedule. That leaves 3 games to fill with WAC, MAC, and FCS opponents willing to travel for the $$$.

Good point Schnauzer. I think with the arrival of the super-conferences, the BCS rating system will go down the pipes and clobbering creampuffs in non-conference games won't matter. To any NDSU fans perusing the thread, I am not calling your particular school a creampuff. I was speaking more to the overall trend nationally.

Agree with most - it's a no-win situation right now.

I wouldn't have scheduled this game, but it isn't up to me. Living in Fargo, as I do, this game is one of the most important of the year, because I know I'll be talking about it (or at least hearing about it) for years to come.

It's important to me because it's the next game on the Gophers' schedule. And yes, some vengance for the last 4 years of smack would be very nice.

not me. this question has been asked before, but i will state why again. 1.) there is no benefit to the U of M recruiting wise, which should be the most important consideration. as there is not a ton of football talent coming out of either state. 2.) the only meaningful players from the dakotas to play for the U of M in recent memory that i can think of are: greg eslinger, sean hoffman, justin conzemius. 3.) it is a no-win proposition. you win....well you are supposed to win those games. you lose because you are going through a rebuilding phase......well all you are doing is helping to build up blood sucking regional programs who will try and poach middle-tier guys in the future that would have been willing to walk-on or take preferred walk-on spots at the U of M and giving foder to journalist d-bags like resusse, souhan, tom powers and dan barreiro. 4.) you are paying these guys to come to your building and filling their athletic department coffers. would rather just add a 9th big ten conference game than go to any of these games against the dakota schools.

my family has been in minnesota for 170 years and i don't know anyone in the dakotas, don't have any family there, don't have any connection to either state. no emotional reason for me personally to care about playing either school.

if we never schedule another game against the dakota schools, i won't miss it one bit.

In theory, this is a no-win game. But I don't necessarily think that's true. There are few things I would enjoy more this year than beating the living snot out of NDSU. It would bring me immense happiness. To see all of the NDSU fans who put huge stock in this game and consider this a rivalry slink out of TCF completely embarrassed would just be fantastic. I don't like NDSU, I don't like the Napoleon complex of some of its fans, and I want to destroy them. And that, at least in my book, would qualify as a win.

In theory, this is a no-win game. But I don't necessarily think that's true. There are few things I would enjoy more this year than beating the living snot out of NDSU. It would bring me immense happiness. To see all of the NDSU fans who put huge stock in this game and consider this a rivalry slink out of TCF completely embarrassed would just be fantastic. I don't like NDSU, I don't like the Napoleon complex of some of its fans, and I want to destroy them. And that, at least in my book, would qualify as a win.

So you are saying YOU DO CARE ABOUT PLAYING NDSU??!!

From an NDSU fan (and former player) perspective, we care about anyone on our schedule, that's just the culture of NDSU football in Fargo and ND. It is our biggest show/event. Now, you can diss us for being that way, but that is what we have, and we are die-hard fans of what we have. I personally don't see what the problem with that is.

So you are saying YOU DO CARE ABOUT PLAYING NDSU??!!

From an NDSU fan (and former player) perspective, we care about anyone on our schedule, that's just the culture of NDSU football in Fargo and ND. It is our biggest show/event. Now, you can diss us for being that way, but that is what we have, and we are die-hard fans of what we have. I personally don't see what the problem with that is.

I absolutely do care about playing NDSU, and not for the "because that's who the Gophers are playing" reason. I'm certainly not dissing NDSU fans for caring about the team. I really respect the fan support the team has. I only really dislike them as they pertain to the Gophers. NDSU fans consider this a huge game (Gopher fans don't) and think this is some sort of rivalry (Gopher fans dont), and I just don't want to give NDSU fans the satisfaction of even hanging in the game with us. Otherwise, I respect the fan support and the success that the program has had. Like I said, I just want to see all the NDSU fans that make the trip leave TCF immensely disappointed after a blowout loss.

NDSU home football attendance 2010:
Morgan State 17340
South Dakota 18241
W. Illinois 18701
Indiana State 15245
S. Illinois 12384
SDSU 17307

If Bison fans were really so gung-ho for all their opponents, then why the low attendance for the Southern Illinois and Indiana State games? A better comparison would attendance against D-II opponents, but most Bison fans are adamant about not playing a team from a lower division.

s.o.v, I agree with CAS417: it sounds like this is a rivalry game for you...

I guess it makes more sense to play teams who will buy tickets since badger joel macturi just can't seem to sell out TCF BANK STADIUM to Minnesota Fans..

To me the ultimate schedule would feature games with EVERY Big Ten Team every year. That would leave room for only one ooc game.

To me, games with a New Mexico State make less sense than games against our border state match ups. There is some sense of "danger" in losing to NDSU that doesn't appear to be as urgent as losing to some of the more distant teams. That also means that beating our border state match ups should be a bit more exciting.

I just think that the U of M needs to keep working on building a program we can be proud of. During the past few years our program has certainly not distinguished itself very much from SDSU, SD and NDSU. We are 2-2 against these teams and the two games we won were certainly not convincing wins.

Our team had BEST show up ready to play. We fans have no basis for trying to trash the talk with our friends and neighbors from the Dakotas. Our recent contests with the football programs from North and South Dakota have shown that the level of competition is really quite even during this period of time in these border ooc clashes.

It looks to me as though this is going to be a real battle again this Saturday.

I think it is time to take a look at the facts, check the egos at the door and root for our Gophers to play their hearts out Saturday Evening. I am sure that is exactly what the Bison Team and their Fans will be doing.

This should be a very good football me! Go Gophers!

NDSU home football attendance 2010:
Morgan State 17340
South Dakota 18241
W. Illinois 18701
Indiana State 15245
S. Illinois 12384
SDSU 17307

If Bison fans were really so gung-ho for all their opponents, then why the low attendance for the Southern Illinois and Indiana State games? A better comparison would attendance against D-II opponents, but most Bison fans are adamant about not playing a team from a lower division.

Corn and Sugar beet harvests draw our attendence down, as does opening deer weekend.

I know, I know, que in the farming and hunting jokes in 3 . . 2 . . 1 . . . . .

But if people were as fanatic about Bison football as you say, wouldn't they put off their hunting until later?

We schedule the NDSUs of the world because they make us more money that NMSU. Not just with a sold out stadium, but because we pay NDSU about half what we have to pay NMSU for the same revenue.

If we scheduled an out of area team, it would be a less full stadium and less revenue.

So I care that we have NDSU on schedule because it helps finance our athletic department. That said, it sure sucks to lose to one of these schools...so we should stop doing that.

Most fans don't care about NDSU, but when we become a good team and can beat up on FCS-level competition, we'll learn to like these games and NDSU fans will lose interest. The only reason this thread exists is because it will probably be a close game and Gopher fans fear a loss.....

But if people were as fanatic about Bison football as you say, wouldn't they put off their hunting until later?

Upwards of 70-80% of the deer shot in Nodak get shot opening weekend. People want to get out right away to get their deer, as it gets a bit more difficult after the opener. I wait and go during the week, but I have that luxury whereas many others don't.

I trap gophers too, btw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I love the games, but I agree that they only make financial sense.

Take SDSU for example. I turned on the Illinois game against them a week ago. The commentators were talking about how SDSU didn't feel good about the game because they didn't have any Illinois players on the roster. They felt really good the previous two years against MN and NE with the chip on the shoulder factor. Results. MN-16 to SDSU-13, NE-17 to SDSU-3, Illinois-56 to SDSU-3.

Top Bottom