Who quarterbacks the Gophers next year?

All depends on their height in 10th grade
I'm obviously not going to go back and watch 13 full games.

But what if I just put this 6min highlight reel (of course, not all are passes), and you tell me which of these passes is him throwing a bad pass that was bailed out by a receiver. Sure, they're not all perfect, but bad is obviously going to be subjective. Not saying there are zero bad passes. I just want to know what you think of as bad.

Watching this just makes me miss our offense from last year. So much better than this year. By the way, notice how Tanner kept the ball more than zero times on running plays?
Nice video. Wow, I miss last year (not a knock on this year, just that it was nice last year). That was a lot of fun. Still love the Bryce Witham catch vs Auburn.

Where is the respect here? I think the questions lie elsewhere. QB,Oline, and RB are at a high level compared to other parts of the team. WR and the defense in general are questions for next year.
One more thing, the Gophers had three excellent receivers last year. This year they had 1.5.

Where is the respect here? I think the questions lie elsewhere. QB,Oline, and RB are at a high level compared to other parts of the team. WR and the defense in general are questions for next year.
One more thing, the Gophers had three excellent receivers last year. This year they had 1.5.
Bateman is a 0.5 receiver, because he missed 2 out of 7 games? In 5 out of 7 games, I would not be surprised if he still amassed well over half the targets for the team. Maybe that's no where near close to correct, but it certainly felt like it.

This is an all-time dumb thread.
Two threads side by side. This one asks who the starter will be next year. The other asks who the best QB in history was/is and Tanner is listed as a finalist.

People seem to be struggling to find topics.

Who QBs the Gophers next year is a real question?
Comes with a simple answer. If Morgan doesn't declare for the draft, it's him.

His regression this year has solely to do with the regression we had at the OC spot.
That job shouldve been Simon's to lose...instead we brought in an inferior play caller.

His regression this year has solely to do with the regression we had at the OC spot.
That job shouldve been Simon's to lose...instead we brought in an inferior play caller.

So if TM returns to his 2019 form with the same OC you blame for his regression will you admit you were wrong in blaming the OC?

So if TM returns to his 2019 form with the same OC you blame for his regression will you admit you were wrong in blaming the OC?
Is it possible that 2020 was mostly Sanford's fault, with some on Tanner, and some on the weird/awful covid year, and then they both bust their rear ends to get better and have a much better year in 2021?

Are both those things allowed to be possible? I should think so.

Bateman is a 0.5 receiver, because he missed 2 out of 7 games? In 5 out of 7 games, I would not be surprised if he still amassed well over half the targets for the team. Maybe that's no where near close to correct, but it certainly felt like it.
My bad I thought he played in 3 or 4 out of 7.

This is a terrible take. Morgan had an All B1G OL and two NFL caliber WRs last year. I dont think people realized how big of a loss TJ was. Or the fact that we were starting Axel friggin Ruschmeyer on the OL.

Morgan is a fine quarterback when his decision-making amounts to:
1. Count the number of guys in the box to see if we need to hand off or not
2. Hit one of your two WR options, either TJ on the deep slant or Bateman over the top

Sanford made some questionable schematic calls this season that he does need to address, but missing wide open reads multiple times a game? That’s Morgan. Not being able to put enough on ball so that it gets batted at the line multiple times or by underneath coverage guys? That’s Morgan. Not being able to function without a clean pocket at all times? That’s Morgan.

Also, Simon called plays for one game that Ciarocca did the scheming for. There is no planet on which that makes it “Simon’s job to lose”. Is Sanford a great OC? We dont know yet, because there was no offseason to install the offense last year. Let’s give him a chance before clamoring to fire him.

This is a terrible take. Morgan had an All B1G OL and two NFL caliber WRs last year. I dont think people realized how big of a loss TJ was. Or the fact that we were starting Axel friggin Ruschmeyer on the OL.

Morgan is a fine quarterback when his decision-making amounts to:
1. Count the number of guys in the box to see if we need to hand off or not
2. Hit one of your two WR options, either TJ on the deep slant or Bateman over the top

Sanford made some questionable schematic calls this season that he does need to address, but missing wide open reads multiple times a game? That’s Morgan. Not being able to put enough on ball so that it gets batted at the line multiple times or by underneath coverage guys? That’s Morgan. Not being able to function without a clean pocket at all times? That’s Morgan.

Also, Simon called plays for one game that Ciarocca did the scheming for. There is no planet on which that makes it “Simon’s job to lose”. Is Sanford a great OC? We dont know yet, because there was no offseason to install the offense last year. Let’s give him a chance before clamoring to fire him.
I'd like to know how you can prove that Ciarocca did "all the scheming for" every game in the 2019 season.

That is completely bogus and absurd. Matt Simon was the passing game coordinator and Brian Callahan was the running game coordinator. Both of them did just as much, probably more, work in developing the game plan as KC did. Prove me wrong. You can't.

but missing wide open reads multiple times a game? That’s Morgan. Not being able to put enough on ball so that it gets batted at the line multiple times or by underneath coverage guys? That’s Morgan. Not being able to function without a clean pocket at all times? That’s Morgan.

Weird. It's just weird , and unfair really, how this keeps happening to Sanford's QB's. They keep choosing to fail on him, the year he arrives, after having great years the season prior to his arrival! Western Kentucky, Utah State, and now Minnesota. I really wish those QB's would stop choosing to fail on his great schemes and QB teachings.

I'd like to know how you can prove that Ciarocca did "all the scheming for" every game in the 2019 season.

That is completely bogus and absurd. Matt Simon was the passing game coordinator and Brian Callahan was the running game coordinator. Both of them did just as much, probably more, work in developing the game plan as KC did. Prove me wrong. You can't.

You’re right, but you also dont know what kind of impact Simon did or did not have on a given game plan. Playcalling is the only thing we KNOW Simon owned, and that was for one game. PGC and RGC are often just mechanisms to increase compensation for assistant coaches (just like Kenny Burns is Associate Head Coach). Nobody on this board knows enough about Simon’s involvement to actually say “it was his job to lose”.

You’re right, but you also dont know what kind of impact Simon did or did not have on a given game plan. Playcalling is the only thing we KNOW Simon owned, and that was for one game. PGC and RGC are often just mechanisms to increase compensation for assistant coaches (just like Kenny Burns is Associate Head Coach). Nobody on this board knows enough about Simon’s involvement to actually say “it was his job to lose”.
They get increased compensation ... because they do more. They have more responsibilities. Wouldn't surprise me at all if, during the whole 2019 season, KC would put it on Simon to pick the routes for the coming pass play, and put it on Callahan to pick which specific run-blocking scheme play for the coming run play. That's not at all out of the question.

Assistant head coach is not at all an honorary title. That means he assists the head coach with those duties. The HC has a ton of crap to do, that isn't related to football. Press conferences, meetings with donors, administrative paper work, etc.

Top Bottom