Who quarterbacks the Gophers next year?

Sanford broke Morgan.
I don't think so... I doubt that the offensive coordinator, no matter who it was, would have been the factor that led to Morgan's regression. There were several factors that led to the rough season, starting with the pandemic. It caused chaos throughout college football... leading to many talented players to opt out of the season. This led to growing pains for an offensive line that was missing 2 key starters. Granted, the line play improved greatly as the season wore on, but that instability early had to have messed with Tanner's game. There's also the undeniable fact that he wasn't throwing to NFL-caliber WRs this season (Yeah, Bateman came back, that was another drama all together.)

It's easy to blame Sanford (or Fleck) but the fact is... you'd be wrong to do so. We've got a few months to wait before we can find out the real answer. Was it dismal year of 2020 that sabotaged Morgan's season? Was Tanner overrated in 2019? I'm looking forward to getting some answers, that's for sure.

I heard Dwayne Haskins is grad transferring.

I don't think so... I doubt that the offensive coordinator, no matter who it was, would have been the factor that led to Morgan's regression. There were several factors that led to the rough season, starting with the pandemic. It caused chaos throughout college football... leading to many talented players to opt out of the season. This led to growing pains for an offensive line that was missing 2 key starters. Granted, the line play improved greatly as the season wore on, but that instability early had to have messed with Tanner's game. There's also the undeniable fact that he wasn't throwing to NFL-caliber WRs this season (Yeah, Bateman came back, that was another drama all together.)

It's easy to blame Sanford (or Fleck) but the fact is... you'd be wrong to do so. We've got a few months to wait before we can find out the real answer. Was it dismal year of 2020 that sabotaged Morgan's season? Was Tanner overrated in 2019? I'm looking forward to getting some answers, that's for sure.
Tanner's 2019 performance can't be overrated. It is objective. The stats speak for themselves. He had a great year, and that can never be taken away.

Also objective is that 2020 was a regression. We can't know for sure or attempt to prove what (likely mixture of) factors caused it.

We can only move on to 2021 and hope that Morgan and Sanford get better. It will depend on both of them, no matter how much you want to dismiss Sanford being a factor in it.

He broke Jordan Love in 2019, too. So I am anxious that he's not going to be able to figure out what he is doing wrong and fix it.

I'm worried that it is Robb Smith, all over again. If that ends up being the case, Fleck is 100% at fault, for hiring him over proven winner Simon.

If it is related to the current Gophs OC or Nebby, Mplsgopher will beat it to death with his takes.

Tanner's 2019 performance can't be overrated. It is objective. The stats speak for themselves. He had a great year, and that can never be taken away.
Go back and watch some of those games... the bad passes in 2019 were caught by receivers making spectacular plays. For the most part, Tanner got none of that in 2020. Is that regression? I don't know if thats regression... or just being exposed for what he is. Next season might just prove, one way or another, which QB is the real Tanner Morgan.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being Trevor Lawrence and 1 being Demry Croft, Tanner Morgan is a ????

My answer would be a 6. Last year he looked like an 8 because he had TJ, Bateman and CAB, and a really good OC/QB coach that he had continuity with.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being Trevor Lawrence and 1 being Demry Croft, Tanner Morgan is a ????

My answer would be a 6. Last year he looked like an 8 because he had TJ, Bateman and CAB, and a really good OC/QB coach that he had continuity with.

I would probably bump Morgan up closer to a 7 with some upside. Morgan's strength is his decision making. He doesn't have the rocket arm some of the elite guys have and also isn't much of a runner, he is just a really good steady leader. You can win and be very successful with a guy like Morgan under center (or I guess maybe the saying should be, behind center, since so few teams actually go under center in college these days).

As for this thread and the original premise of it. The job is Morgan's until someone beats him out and given that he is one of the best QBs we have ever had here that will mean the player that passes him will be something truly special.

Go back and watch some of those games... the bad passes in 2019 were caught by receivers making spectacular plays. For the most part, Tanner got none of that in 2020. Is that regression? I don't know if thats regression... or just being exposed for what he is. Next season might just prove, one way or another, which QB is the real Tanner Morgan.
I'm obviously not going to go back and watch 13 full games.

But what if I just put this 6min highlight reel (of course, not all are passes), and you tell me which of these passes is him throwing a bad pass that was bailed out by a receiver. Sure, they're not all perfect, but bad is obviously going to be subjective. Not saying there are zero bad passes. I just want to know what you think of as bad.

Watching this just makes me miss our offense from last year. So much better than this year. By the way, notice how Tanner kept the ball more than zero times on running plays?

Last edited:

In large part, a QB is only as good as the players around them. Of course you will look better with some of the best receivers in the programs history. Physically TM is average, he is able to manage a game and will do as well as the line protects him and receivers get open. Look at the QB's during the Nebraska game, the Nebraska QB is a superior athlete, but he could not hit the side of a barn. A QB's role is to move the chains and score.

Last edited:

Aaron Rodgers was only ever as good as the players around him. Makes sense

Be careful. Some crotchety old guy will likely yell at you about grade inflation

He is a 2.5 year starter:
Year .5 led the team back from a losing record to make a bowl game then win the bowl game. Including a win @madison

first full year as a starter was 2nd team all big ten behind only a heisman candidate. Had one of the top 3 efficiency seasons in the history of big ten football. Number 32 in the history of ncaa division 1 football....was top 30 before this season a couple of people passed him.

Second year starter he was all big ten honorable mention and everyone saw it as a disappointment.

he is so good that being all big ten HM is seen as something that many think should get the OC fired.

In other words, everyone, including Some Guy, agrees he had a regression and was around a "C" grade, in terms of being 6-7 out of 10.

Yeah but .... "honorable mention". Neat

I guess Minnesota is "honorable mention" in the Big Ten West standings. 😐

That’s some good anecdotal evidence right there. Aaron Rodgers is probably top 5 to ever play QB.
It might be believable that TM will only ever be as good as the players around him, but he said all QBs. He is wrong.

Morgan will be the starter and he should be. A more stable offseason and season will get Tanner back on track.
He lost his OC, had fewer practices, lost his top receiving target, his dad had cancer and he was still better than almost any QB in gopher history. I have faith.

Morgan will be the starter and he should be. A more stable offseason and season will get Tanner back on track.
He lost his OC, had fewer practices, lost his top receiving target, his dad had cancer and he was still better than almost any QB in gopher history. I have faith.
Didn’t he have more practices? I thought we kept practicing while the season was canceled.

Some offensive coordinators call offenses that make the QB look really good. They run consistent routes, make the reads simple, make the throws easy, and attack the blitz so the QB feels comfortable in the pocket. Some offensive coordinators are not Mike Sanford.

Top Bottom