Who is your Gophers MVP in the dominating win over Illinois?

• Rodney Smith

Votes: 39 58.2%
  • Shannon Brooks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drew Wolitarsky

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Merrick Jackson

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Jonathan Celestin

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.9%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

You could add Richardson, Coughlin, both Ekpe brothers, and a couple more. I would go with Smith though.

Defense, special teams.... Rodney....

Rodney Smith

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jeff George jr.

Best overall performance has to be Rod Smith but team win today. Did what we needed to do.

If I had to single someone out I'd have to say Travis today. Thought the coverage was excellent in the secondary and I'm crediting him as (I'm guessing) the leader of the group. Hope his injury is nothing serious.

Rodney Smith on offense. Scott Ekpe on defense. His fumble recovery in the first quarter was unreal.

KiAnte Hardin again. In the Big Ten games that he has played in, we've given up 14, 10 and 17 points.

In the games he's been out, we've given up 29 and 32.

The defense as a unit! Great performance...outstanding effort.

Celestin, did better than any Gopher I've seen all year on the blitz and made some good tackles as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more I watch Rodney Smith, the more I think he has a chance to be the best all-around back we've ever had at Minnesota. The one thing Johnson has done right is use him as a receiver.

Travis is a really good DB. I didn't think he would develop as much as he has. He has a chance to play at the next level.

OTHER: Smith, ST, & D carried the day. Nice team win!

Celestin, did better than any Gopher I've seen all year on the blitz and made some good tackles as well.

I don't know if I am giving him MVP today, but JC13 is becoming my favorite player. Dude is sooooo good and seems to be getting better every week.

I voted for Merrick Jackson because I'm not sure we'll ever get the chance to vote for Merrick Jackson again.

Damarius Travis played a really great game. He's my guy.

Travis continues to impress. I was impressed with Elmore today. He may not have had gaudy statistics, but he put pressure on George. He also made a touchdown saving tackle on a running back after chasing him.

Rodney, but some great games by Winfield, the Ekpes, Celestin, Bebee, Brooks, Merrill, and Travis

I voted for Merrick Jackson because I'm not sure we'll ever get the chance to vote for Merrick Jackson again.

Ha...ha, I did too. He has been primarily used on goal line situations. They backed off a bit on Richardson ( headaches?) and gave Jackson some reps.

Ha...ha, I did too. He has been primarily used on goal line situations. They backed off a bit on Richardson ( headaches?) and gave Jackson some reps.

I wonder if the coaches will ever play Merrick J. and Richardson at the same time. Those two could really clog up the middle I would think.

I voted for Merrick Jackson mainly for style points. I cannot remember seeing our defense force a safety against a Big Ten opponent. I do remember the likes of Michigan and Ohio State forcing safeties against our offense. It is so nice to see the shoe on the other foot. In my humble opinion, a safety is totally demoralizing to the team who has to to give up the two points. I hope to see a lot more of #93 during the rest of the 2016 - 2017 campaign, particularly against the Cornhuskers, Wildcats, and Badgers.

I voted for Merrick Jackson mainly for style points. I cannot remember seeing our defense force a safety against a Big Ten opponent. I do remember the likes of Michigan and Ohio State forcing safeties against our offense. It is so nice to see the shoe on the other foot. In my humble opinion, a safety is totally demoralizing to the team who has to to give up the two points. I hope to see a lot more of #93 during the rest of the 2016 - 2017 campaign, particularly against the Cornhuskers, Wildcats, and Badgers.
After the spring game I expected to see a lot of him. He was in the backfield constantly. Hopefully he's figuring things out a bit.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

After the spring game I expected to see a lot of him. He was in the backfield constantly. Hopefully he's figuring things out a bit.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Like picking up a solid player at the trade deadline maybe. He has an NFL style body.

Top Bottom