Who is lying to Andre McDonald????????

sonnygarcia

Reaction score
He was quoted as saying he likes Iowa's tradition of sending WRs to the league. I'm not sure what league he is referring to but it cannot be the NFL. To this point, Kirk Ferentz has never recruited and developed a WR that has played in the NFL. NEVER!!! The last Iowa WR to play in the NFL was Kasper, who was an upperclassman when Ferentz showed up in the late 90's.

Does he realize that Iowa is one of the least passing teams in the conference? Iowa WRs averaged 9 touches a game last year. Who is doing his recruitment homework?

He was quoted as saying he likes Iowa's tradition of sending WRs to the league. I'm not sure what league he is referring to but it cannot be the NFL. To this point, Kirk Ferentz has never recruited and developed a WR that has played in the NFL. NEVER!!! The last Iowa WR to play in the NFL was Kasper, who was an upperclassman when Ferentz showed up in the late 90's.

Does he realize that Iowa is one of the least passing teams in the conference? Iowa WRs averaged 9 touches a game last year. Who is doing his recruitment homework?

I could care less where this kid goes to school. Given his conduct to date, how can you be shocked at his inability to formulate cogent thoughts about his recruitment?

I could care less where this kid goes to school. Given his conduct to date, how can you be shocked at his inability to formulate cogent thoughts about his recruitment?

Then care less dooshbag.

You'd think McDonald would be familiar with Eric Decker and possibly Ron Johnson. Hell, Logan Payne may have had more recent run in the NFL than any Hawkeye receiver. It would be really bad to lose McDonald to Iowa, I hope he's just exploring options and will realize the U is where he should be.

The kid is 17. All he is hearing is a bunch of grown men try to convince him to go to their school. Not for his benefit, but for theirs.

This is a big decision for the kid. Don't go out and attack his character. You guys sound like idiots. Sure I'd rather have him come here, but I'm not gonna call him an idiot for being indecisive

The kid is 17. All he is hearing is a bunch of grown men try to convince him to go to their school. Not for his benefit, but for theirs.

This is a big decision for the kid. Don't go out and attack his character. You guys sound like idiots. Sure I'd rather have him come here, but I'm not gonna call him an idiot for being indecisive

Who's attacking his character here? I know in the other thread people seem to take it personal that he's de-commited, but I didn't see any attacking here..

Lets see...when I was 17 I worked at a restaurant and had to be there at 5 am every Sunday morning...I overslept so often because I was drunk that I ultimately had to start sleeping in my truck in the parking lot on Sat nights and they would wake me up when everyone else arrived...I really got no room to talk about this kid. Just sayin...who were you at 17?

I dunno..... When I was 17 I was finalizing my paper work with my recruiter to enlist as soon as I turned 18 to serve in the United States Army as an PVT E-2

You'd think McDonald would be familiar with Eric Decker and possibly Ron Johnson. Hell, Logan Payne may have had more recent run in the NFL than any Hawkeye receiver. It would be really bad to lose McDonald to Iowa, I hope he's just exploring options and will realize the U is where he should be.

And all of those receivers listed played under an entirely different coaching staff than McDonald would here. Those comparisons don't really mean alot when it is under a different staff. A better comparison would be how many receivers has Kill and his staff put into the NFL? It would be great if McDonald stayed here but I find it difficult to use the success of other players under different staffs to justify it when there are other legitimate reasons for him to stay.

Pantherhawk strikes again.

What he probably realizes is that Iowa passed the ball 44% of their plays last year versus NIU 36%. With that ratio, Coach Kill will have a more difficult task attracting highly rated WR's.

What he probably realizes is that Iowa passed the ball 44% of their plays last year versus NIU 36%. With that ratio, Coach Kill will have a more difficult task attracting highly rated WR's.

What do your statistics have to do with anything??? Andre plays WR, not TE or RB. Iowa uses their TE and RB in their passing game a TON. Break down their stats last year. Iowa WRs caught 9 balls per game. How many balls per game did NIU WRs catch last year? ---> 13 catches per game.

Sounds like you should be a recruiter for Iowa Bayfield, you do a good job of scewing statistics in favor of them............

Don't go out and attack his character. You guys sound like idiots.

I don't think you are referring to me, but just to clarify, I was not attacking his character, just discussing a comment he made that was 100% false. Since this is a big decision in the kid's life one wouldn't expect to hear such a comment come from his mouth.

And all of those receivers listed played under an entirely different coaching staff than McDonald would here.

Yea, a previous staff that ran the ball even more than Kill does. If they can put WRs in the league than why can't Iowa? Do they not develop WRs well?

A better comparison would be how many receivers has Kill and his staff put into the NFL?

No, this would be a terrible comparison. Kill has been at the D2/D1-AA level most of his career where he had zero chance of getting the type of athletes needed to put guys in the league. This is his first year recruiting to a BCS school and getting BCS type athletes. A better comparison would be to see what other Big Ten school had put WRs in the league...... then we could see that over the period of time what Ferentz was at Iowa he is the only Big Ten coach not to put a WR in the league. If Mason could put that many WRs in the league in an offense where the WR was used primarily as a blocker what is Ferentz's excuse?

Iowa WRs caught 9 balls per game.

Not that it really matters, but I'm curious how you arrived at that number? It looks to me like the Iowa WR group got 147 touches last year (134 receptions and 13 rushing attempts) for 11+ touches per game and 10+ receptions per game. Iowa basically had two of the top ten WRs in the Big Ten last year. But, I don't think those numbers are all that important.

I mean if McDonald really was solely concerned with coaches that put receivers into the NFL, then he would likely not have us, Vanderbilt, or Iowa in his final list of schools. He would simply go to Ohio State, Miami, Oklahoma, Michigan or some other program that puts heavy #s of WRs into the NFL. But, it is apparent he has things other than that in his considerations.

I would think that opposing recruiters will figure this angle out for themselves.

Tim Dwight anyone? /Just saying

I dunno..... When I was 17 I was finalizing my paper work with my recruiter to enlist as soon as I turned 18 to serve in the United States Army as an PVT E-2

I was too and thus that's why realize better than most that adults trying to recruit 17 year olds lie to acheive objectives.

The best was at the reception battlion hearing some of the things promised guys that were just absolute bull...

Not that it really matters, but I'm curious how you arrived at that number? It looks to me like the Iowa WR group got 147 touches last year (134 receptions and 13 rushing attempts) for 11+ touches per game and 10+ receptions per game. Iowa basically had two of the top ten WRs in the Big Ten last year. But, I don't think those numbers are all that important.

I said 'catches' per game in my second post (to be more specific). Not sure why McDonald would be concerned with WR handoffs; I don't see a WR of his style running too many end-arounds. I didn't add in Davis, so yes, 10 catches per game, still less than Jerry Kill at NIU last year.

I mean if McDonald really was solely concerned with coaches that put receivers into the NFL, then he would likely not have us, Vanderbilt, or Iowa in his final list of schools. He would simply go to Ohio State, Miami, Oklahoma, Michigan or some other program that puts heavy #s of WRs into the NFL. But, it is apparent he has things other than that in his considerations.

For this to happen he would have to have scholarship offers from Miami, Oklahoma or Michigan.......

What do your statistics have to do with anything??? Andre plays WR, not TE or RB. Iowa uses their TE and RB in their passing game a TON. Break down their stats last year. Iowa WRs caught 9 balls per game. How many balls per game did NIU WRs catch last year? ---> 13 catches per game.

Sounds like you should be a recruiter for Iowa Bayfield, you do a good job of scewing statistics in favor of them............

Recruiting for Iowa?? That's funny. BTW, its skewing not scewing.

You appear to have a major concern that the kid may be heading for Iowa. And if he looks at the stats he may have a valid reason.

Contrary to your belief, the BT stats do tell a story. Iowa ranked #6 in passing attempts, #5 in passing yards compared to #8 in rushing yards. Hardly what I would call one of the least passing teams in the conference. Iowa's WR's caught 59% of the passes which is more than the TE's (23%) and RB's (18%) combined. As someone else posted, McNutt and J-K were two of the better pass catching WR's in the conference as was TE Reisner. Ferentz is far from being pass-happy but neither is Coach Kill.

Not sure who is doing your stat homework but maybe you should find someone a bit more reliable.

Gotta love the grammar police on the internet. Good thing my occupation isn't proof-reading I guess???

Looks like you really have to reach for this one; now we are going to strictly BT stats? You're working hard to make Iowa look good. I looked at whole season stats. NIU WRs caught 3 more balls per game than Iowa WRs, simple as that. Keep working hard to make the Hawkeyes look better, this is what Minnesotan's do I guess, pretty typical. We love misery to the point where we recruit for our rivals. LOL.....

For this to happen he would have to have scholarship offers from Miami, Oklahoma or Michigan.......

Well, whatever. The point is, if his main concern was playing for a coach who put WRs into the NFL, then he likely would not have Minnesota or Iowa in his final list of schools. He would have better and more proven options out there (and already does) if that's all he cared about.

10 catches per game, still less than Jerry Kill at NIU last year.

Iowa's top two receivers caught 53 and 46 passes, respectively. Both were Top 10 in the Big Ten in receiving yards. Jerry Kill's top two receivers last year caught only 42 and 40 passes. So, if McDonald is a confident young man, he probably doesn't see a big difference there and if he did, would be forced to give the nod to Iowa.

Look, I hope the kid chooses Minnesota. But, this idea of your's that Iowa is a place where WRs go to die while the Gophers would provide him some golden chance to make it to the NFL is a simple non-starter, IMHO.

If McDonald chooses either MN or IA, it will be for a reason other than playing for a head coach who develops NFL receivers. And, there are a lot of good reasons to play for Minnesota other than that. Kill is building momentum here, no doubt.

Are you saying Kirk Ferentz put Tim Dwight in the league? /Just saying

No, Jsut commenting on the sentence prior to that one. Tim Dwight at least had an impact. The point that Ferentz hasn't done anything with wide-outs is valid.

NIU WRs caught 3 more balls per game than Iowa WRs, simple as that.

Again, that can be construed a couple of ways. If McDonald believes he is good enough to be a top two receiver on the team, then Iowa's top two WRs caught more balls than NIU's top two WRs. If McDonald is planning on becoming 'the guy' then do you think he wants to catch 53 balls or 42 balls?

Let's face it, there are reasons to play for Kill at Minnesota. He's got some momentum. But, again, for now, the reason is not because he develops NFL WRs and it isn't because his offenses target its top WRs an ungodly amount of time, or even more than Iowa's top guys.

Look, I hope the kid chooses Minnesota. But, this idea of your's that Iowa is a place where WRs go to die while the Gophers would provide him some golden chance to make it to the NFL is a simple non-starter, IMHO.

Nobody said Minnesota would necessarily provide a better chance than Iowa, just that Andre's information is wrong about Iowa putting WRs into the NFL.

If McDonald chooses either MN or IA, it will be for a reason other than playing for a head coach who develops NFL receivers.

Hey, he said it not me. If he was quoted as saying it is a factor in his decision, then it is. It may not be the only or biggest factor, but it is a factor and he should know that the information he was given is wrong.

Top Bottom