Who is going to leave the program?

sirloin1078

Reaction score
On Doogie's podcast it's mentioned that there could be a major roster shake up at season's end. Who has been rumored to be leaving, or what's your best guess? Personally, I'm thinking Buggs and Diedhiou. Maybe Konate? Although he's shown some signs of being at least a serviceable backup center.

On Doogie's podcast it's mentioned that there could be a major roster shake up at season's end. Who has been rumored to be leaving, or what's your best guess? Personally, I'm thinking Buggs and Diedhiou. Maybe Konate? Although he's shown some signs of being at least a serviceable backup center.

Everybody seems to think Buggs would- and maybe that's true. However, with the way things are going it would seem odd that he is still in the starting line up if Pitino is thinking that he has no future here. I think Gaston, but certainly one cannot rule out Buggs since he could transfer and play immediately elsewhere. Konate- I don't think so.

Buggs and Gaston leaving would not constitute a "major roster shake up."

If players don't want to be here, they should leave. I'm not worried about it.

Buggs and Gaston leaving would not constitute a "major roster shake up."

If players don't want to be here, they should leave. I'm not worried about it.

I agree, but it's Doogie so who knows.

If I had to make a prediction on one of the young guys leaving, it would be Dorsey. Other than the one game, he hasn't really lived up to expectations. He's small and can't shoot. He also only played 10 min last night.

I could be wrong, but when I saw that Buggs was starting last night, my first thought was, this game and maybe the rest of the season are his audition to stay on the team next year.

If I were a betting man I would put my money on Dorsey leaving. He gets very little playing time and when he has played he hasn't played well other than the Indiana game. I hope he doesn't transfer, but he is the one that I am concerned about. Obviously if Gas wants any playing time he will also have to consider transferring.

I agree, but it's Doogie so who knows.

If I had to make a prediction on one of the young guys leaving, it would be Dorsey. Other than the one game, he hasn't really lived up to expectations. He's small and can't shoot. He also only played 10 min last night.
IdK there's going to be plenty of playing time for him next year. We only have Mason, Dorsey, McBreyer and Coffey for the one and two. I would think Dorsey would atleast stick it out another year, he's had other flashes besides that 21 point game and he's good in the defensive end.

IdK there's going to be plenty of playing time for him next year. We only have Mason, Dorsey, McBreyer and Coffey for the one and two. I would think Dorsey would atleast stick it out another year, he's had other flashes besides that 21 point game and he's good in the defensive end.

Dorsey is already behind Mason and McBreyer with Coffey likely to be major contributor right away. Pitino has also been looking at JUCO SGs which could further complicate things. Anyways that's just my guess at someone besides the obvious Buggs and Diedhiou.

It is Doogie and he needs his quota of scoops and hot takes so who knows if this is based on fact but in my mind Buggs, Diedhou and Konate leaving would not be close to a major shake-up.

Who really wants any of the three of them? Two of them are international players who require extra work to gain admittance and then will have to sit out a year. Buggs presumably could grad transfer but I don't see anyone, even at lower D-1 levels, who would be excited about one year of Charles Buggs

I also think it is funny that everyone looks to the bottom of one of the worst teams in major conference basketball for departures. Frankly I worry a major shake-up will come from the players with actual meaningful options. Losing is not fun, they are away from home, and because they are actually decent, the better players have some options. Murphy and Mason are the ones that most worry me. Presumably they could both transfer to a decent to good Power 5 program.

There's still hope with Konate there might be a few dumb he's does a game, but there's always a couple times a game where he will do something like that really ifficult bucket he made one handed at the start of the second half and you'll see the type of untapped potential that's in there.

It is Doogie and he needs his quota of scoops and hot takes so who knows if this is based on fact but in my mind Buggs, Diedhou and Konate leaving would not be close to a major shake-up.

Who really wants any of the three of them? Two of them are international players who require extra work to gain admittance and then will have to sit out a year. Buggs presumably could grad transfer but I don't see anyone, even at lower D-1 levels, who would be excited about one year of Charles Buggs

I also think it is funny that everyone looks to the bottom of one of the worst teams in major conference basketball for departures. Frankly I worry a major shake-up will come from the players with actual meaningful options. Losing is not fun, they are away from home, and because they are actually decent, the better players have some options. Murphy and Mason are the ones that most worry me. Presumably they could both transfer to a decent to good Power 5 program.

+1 on doogie thoughts. My guess though would be Mason. I think he may prefer to be on a winning team with a chance to go somewhere in the postseason.

I think Doogie was more talking about a major roster changeover in the next year with at least Lynch, Fitzgerald, Coffey, Curry, and Hurt being able to play next year and at least King and Morris being gone and the roster will look a lot different. He did talk a little about not being surprised if a guy or 2 leave and my guesses would be the same as you with Buggs and Diedhiou as I just don't really see either one of them getting much PT at all next season.

Mason is not leaving. This is HIS team for two more years. He'll essentially run a B1G team for four years when it's all said and done. And, with any luck, the team will be back to mediocrity by the end of his era.

Everybody seems to think Buggs would- and maybe that's true. However, with the way things are going it would seem odd that he is still in the starting line up if Pitino is thinking that he has no future here. I think Gaston, but certainly one cannot rule out Buggs since he could transfer and play immediately elsewhere. Konate- I don't think so.
He has been starting because Pitino wants size at the SF spot and with Gilbert just coming back last night there really hasn't been any other options. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gilbert starting again instead of Buggs before the end of the year as he gets completely healthy. Looking to next year you have Gilbert, Fitzgerald, and Hurt who I think will all primarily play at the SF spot and with Coffey's size he could defend SFs fine as well I just don't see Buggs seeing the court very much.

My first preference is Gaston, he's completely useless. 99% chance he's gone in my opinion.

Next would be Konate. He is improving, slowly. However, if Lynch is as good as advertised, Konate becomes less necessary, especially if we can bank the scholarship into 2017.

Then it would be Buggs. Buggs beats out Konate because he will be a 5th year senior and his staying around doesn't have any effect on our 2017 scholarship situation.

Anyone else, I would rather not lose.

My first preference is Gaston, he's completely useless. 99% chance he's gone in my opinion.

Next would be Konate. He is improving, slowly. However, if Lynch is as good as advertised, Konate becomes less necessary, especially if we can bank the scholarship into 2017.

Then it would be Buggs. Buggs beats out Konate because he will be a 5th year senior and his staying around doesn't have any effect on our 2017 scholarship situation.

Anyone else, I would rather not lose.

Need two bigs, Konate will be fine in a back up role if Lynch is as good as advertised

Mason is not leaving. This is HIS team for two more years. He'll essentially run a B1G team for four years when it's all said and done. And, with any luck, the team will be back to mediocrity by the end of his era.

I really dont believe it either. I threw his name out since to me that would be a major one to lose. I think most other guys currently playing it would be a loss but not major in my opinion. Keep in mind this is Doogie. He kept throwing rumors out that Tubby was leaving year after year and in the end he ended up being asked to leave among many other things he said that were total nonsense so I think its just Doogie being Doogie again.

The 3 M's. ... Mason, McBrayer, and Murphy.

Those are the 3 guys I'd hate to see transfer out of the program. If any one of those three transfer that would be an ominous sign for Pitino.

I hope everyone stays. We don't need anyone to leave for next year, we're bad enough as it is. Would be nice to have one year with a full roster.

Year after, just because we only have one open scholarship, from a balancing perspective I wouldn't mind if something opened up.

Need two bigs, Konate will be fine in a back up role if Lynch is as good as advertised

Gaston is gone. If another player is gone, I'd prefer it be Konate instead of Buggs. Buggs is our loan scholarship opening in 2017, so losing him is kind of pointless. Konate leaving could open up another 2017 scholarship.

I think we could make a PF/C rotation of Lynch, Buggs, Murphy, and Curry work if we had to. Plus we'd probably have one JUCO big man coming in. Then banking the second scholarship for 2017.

Freshmen
Coffey
Curry
Hurt

Sophomores
Dorsey
Murphy
McBrayer
Gilbert

Juniors
Mason
Lynch
Fitzgerald
**JUCO**

Senior
Buggs

Bank

1 scholarship

I get what you're saying and agree with most of it, might as well keep Konate around a year see if he can progress. If not than it's easier to move on. Pitino's going to bring two guys in regardless no need to chase a guy off the team before you have too

I get what you're saying and agree with most of it, might as well keep Konate around a year see if he can progress. If not than it's easier to move on. Pitino's going to bring two guys in regardless no need to chase a guy off the team before you have too

Agreed. I was just saying if more than one player is going to be transferring that is my preference.

podcast i heard from doogie he said "roster makeover" with one or two transfers possible, also mentioned lynch and fitz in the roster makeover

I think Doogie was more talking about a major roster changeover in the next year with at least Lynch, Fitzgerald, Coffey, Curry, and Hurt being able to play next year and at least King and Morris being gone and the roster will look a lot different. He did talk a little about not being surprised if a guy or 2 leave and my guesses would be the same as you with Buggs and Diedhiou as I just don't really see either one of them getting much PT at all next season.

podcast i heard from doogie he said "roster makeover" with one or two transfers possible, also mentioned lynch and fitz in the roster makeover

I didn't hear it myself, but these two make the most sense to me.

The thought of Murphy leaving makes me nauseous. I can't see him leaving with all the PT he is getting in the B10. I hope the young guys see what the future holds. Just the idea of bringing in Fitz, Lynch, Hurt, Curry and Coffey next year should be exciting. Put them with the current talent and let's roll.

I never hope/wish that guys get forced off the team but obviously we aren't missing much if Gaston and/or Buggs leaves. Whoever does leave though, I hope they land on their feet.

I don't agree that it would be no big deal for Dorsey to transfer. I still like his upside. If any of Mason, Murphy, McBreyer or Dorsey transfer, Pitino is dead coach walking unless he pulls some serious Juco's out of his hat, IMO.

Agreed. I was just saying if more than one player is going to be transferring that is my preference.

Thanks, I've been really missing what you prefer because as the self-appointed Gopher general manager in charge of the roster your opinion is very important to me.

Top Bottom